View Poll Results: Can Wanda be redeemed after Doctor Strange 2?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes-she is a good person at heart

22 34.92%
  • No-she went too far, and always was leaning toward evil anyway

16 25.40%
  • Maybe-it's up to the writers

21 33.33%
  • Who cares-she was fun as a villain

4 6.35%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Amazing Member

She be redeemed but she shouldn't be weakened and be too apologetic. That's not a good visual. The Darkhold influenced what she did...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    TBH if Deadpool killed her it would at least be better than the movie's Villain Sue portrayal of her as someone who can beat everyone without breaking a sweat.

One of the many things the movie got wrong about Wanda is exaggerating her power level to the point that no one can beat her, when in the comics she's always been someone who has to use her powers creatively to beat people who are more powerful than she.

It's kind of impressive how it got her so wrong in so many different ways.
    Huh? In her most popular storyline, she punked out Strange, Sentry, and Thor to such a degree that they were her puppets. She is vastly powerful and there is nothing wrong with that. She pretty much held Thanos at bay with one hand during Infinity War and he had to manipulate time for a do over...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky99 View Post
    Huh? In her most popular storyline, she punked out Strange, Sentry, and Thor to such a degree that they were her puppets.
    You mean the story where she wasn't even using her own powers?
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

TBH if Deadpool killed her it would at least be better than the movie's Villain Sue portrayal of her as someone who can beat everyone without breaking a sweat.

One of the many things the movie got wrong about Wanda is exaggerating her power level to the point that no one can beat her, when in the comics she's always been someone who has to use her powers creatively to beat people who are more powerful than she.
    She at least did that against Black Bolt (Even if sealing his mouth should just rip the skin from where his lips are), and arguably did that against Captain Marvel too, though her depowering Captain Marvel is a stretch of what she can do...

It's kind of impressive how it got her so wrong in so many different ways.
    Wasn't MCU Wanda's power always different from the comics? Did WandaVision make it closer to the comics?

I used to say Feige isn't as bad as the comics editors and when he adapts a comic story, he usually changes it to avoid character assassination.

But as with so many other things, Wanda is the first exception. Feige thought it was incredibly important to character assassinate her.
    I used to think the same, from what I hear the MCU version of Civil War makes Tony and Cap significantly more likable than the comics version.

And then we get this movie lol.

Agreed. Some people took the "you break the rules and become the hero..." line seriously when it's just a standard villain line, pretending they're no worse than the hero when they clearly are.
    She also called Strange a hypocrite for using Darkhold, when he was doing it to stop her and not for selfish reasons lol.

If you look at an entirely black and white point of view of "You do x and you're bad that person", then yeah, she's right, but that ain't the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    You mean the story where she wasn't even using her own powers?
    Or even being her own character.

She might as well have been replaced with a MacGuffin in Disassembled and House of M, wouldn't change the plot much, but it would damage her less.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Wasn't MCU Wanda's power always different from the comics? Did WandaVision make it closer to the comics?
    I think it established her ability to manipulate probability a bit more.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    This might hit allot hard if, you know, the Director and Head writers of MoM, well, watched the Show.

It has been one of the highest criticisms of MoM that the main creators Rami and head writer Mark did not watch WandaVision or watched very little of it, making MoM a spiritual successor to WandVision in loss name only at best.

So, I don’t think MoM being such a definer to WandaVision holds water and sadly more shows the MCU has a problem if it is going to push these Disney+ shows hard for us to watch as MCU canon, but not take much from them in their so call Movie follow-ups. This leads to hammer by fans and media alike that was completely avoidable if they honest just took some extra time to watch the show and take it seriouly into its futer follow-ups. It is undermining a critical part of the MCU if this keeps happening.

I know they did not have much time in between productions, but for an Award Winning and literally Emmy Nominated Show, you’ll think the powers that be would put in the extra work to represent it better at the very least.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Mighty Member

See I don't think she can or should be redeemed. You can claim the Darkhold influenced her, and I would accept that. However the problem with that is that she had already realized what she had done to Westview. She could have stopped right there. She could have contacted Strange and asked for help. Instead she carried on, knowing what she was doing and what was happening. How many deaths is she responsible for in how many realities? Sorry, this is just not redeemable any more than anything Loki did is.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    See I don't think she can or should be redeemed. You can claim the Darkhold influenced her, and I would accept that. However the problem with that is that she had already realized what she had done to Westview. She could have stopped right there. She could have contacted Strange and asked for help. Instead she carried on, knowing what she was doing and what was happening. How many deaths is she responsible for in how many realities? Sorry, this is just not redeemable any more than anything Loki did is.
    We have no idea what happened in between the end of WandaVision and the beginning of Multiverse of Madness. This is just saying that because the writing was so bad that it didn't tell us what happened, we have no choice but to assume the worst.

Hopefully the next project will fill in the blanks and tell us stuff like, when did she start using the Darkhold, why (the show implied it was because it was the only source of information about her powers, but in the show, it wasn't an all-corrupting book anyway), when did Strange find out her powers were magic, etc. Her best hope is that because her heel turn was totally offscreen, it would only take a flashback to show it in a better light.

The difference between Wanda and Loki is that most people can accept that Loki's crimes were in character, while Wanda's crimes in MoM were so out of character that they had to explain it all away with her getting a personality transplant offscreen. Not that I mind Loki being semi-redeemed, but characters should not be judged by their worst writing. Unfortunately that happens a lot with Wanda.

At the end of the film, she express regret over what she did and she finally understood Wong's argument of accepting her loss. She let 838 Wanda be happy in a way she couldn't. So it's possible for her to go on a journey of redemption.

Plus I'm a suckered for redemption narratives so I'm biased.

Having her work with Kamar-Taj as a form of rehabilitation could be interesting. Or tossing her in her own corner of the Multiverse like they did with Loki would work too.

Using a variant of Wanda is another option but it would feel like too much a cheat.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-03-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I feel like the only realistic way out is to lean on the "alternate self" thing that was hinted at when Charles went in her mind. But that piece was so unexplored and contradicted the rest of the film, in which it looks like Wanda is "corrupted" but still essentially herself.

Otherwise it seems like any Avenger at any time can lash out and kill a bunch of people and threaten multiversal collapse and face 0 consequences if they change their mind later and feel sorry. She might redeem herself in the sense that they dig her up when they "really need" her, and she gets the job done, but I would find it hard for her to just go back to standard hero status.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I feel like the only realistic way out is to lean on the "alternate self" thing that was hinted at when Charles went in her mind. But that piece was so unexplored and contradicted the rest of the film, in which it looks like Wanda is "corrupted" but still essentially herself.

Otherwise it seems like any Avenger at any time can lash out and kill a bunch of people and threaten multiversal collapse and face 0 consequences if they change their mind later and feel sorry. She might redeem herself in the sense that they dig her up when they "really need" her, and she gets the job done, but I would find it hard for her to just go back to standard hero status.
    There was nothing unexplored or contradicted. That "alternate self" was 838 Wanda aka the person that got her mind taken over by the dreamwalk.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    There was nothing unexplored or contradicted. That "alternate self" was 838 Wanda aka the person that got her mind taken over by the dreamwalk.
    Oh right. It looked like her but I thought at that part of the movie that she wasn't still inside her head.

In that case, I don't see a realistic way back for the character. Some last act of redemption, but not actual restoration to hero status.

I mean she's dead now right?

To the average person, she either got corrupted by power with a little tragedy sprinkled in or went full dark side.
    The J-man