Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    I think my main problem with the Tim coming out story (as well as his entire relationship with Bernard) is that it was rushed and really shallow. This coming out story should have been a huge deal, a definitive, well-crafted story, diving into the depth of Tim's character. It should have been a must read story, one of the most important Tim stories, re-defining something about him and adding another layer.
    But it wasn't. Tim's coming out story wasn't part of an excellent, deep arc of him figuring himself out, or even showing how he started to like Bernard more and more, understanding there's something deeper than friendships here. We didn't get any of these. We didn't see Tim coming out to his family or to Steph, never saw their reactions. Most things happened off-panel, and what did happen, was in a side story in an anthology book, in which Tim didn't even get a cover or a variant for his coming out story (until issue 10, months after the buzz). Everything about it was just the bare minimum.
    While I'm happy for the representation (although I admit I'd much prefer Dick), everything about it was rushed and read like a last attempt to make Tim unique. He's the Robin that DC didn't know what to do with, so he could be their bi Robin.

It's not too late to still make it meaningful, though. The next story could include flashbacks of Tim starting to figure himself out slowly, looking at events retroactively in a new light, talking with his family, with Steph, maybe give us some insight as to why he even likes Bernard. We could even get some fluff. Dick's love and support with some brotherly teasing, Damian promising to hurt anyone who'd dare say something offensive to him, Steph promising to be there for him as friend no matter what.
    I still hope to see all of that.
    Exactly. This should have been a longer story done in the main books, and built upon some sort of adventure story. There was so much to be done here that could have been done, but they chose the guy that used to be the conspiracy guy and made him more like...I don't know Steph lite in a lot of ways. It's frustrating to see this and realize that this character is going to be more self insert than anything else. It's "Cute" is going to be the mantra going forward. And what I fear is that there's going to be bi erasure with both Tim and Jon in regard to their relationships. Tim and Steph should have had a send off. Instead we got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Barbara and Dick is also pandering in Taylor's run but nobody bats an eye because it's a straight couple.

He's discovering about himself so it's normal to focus on that aspect of his character for a while. Figuring out your sexuality is a process, not "one day waking up and feeling attracted to other men". He's a bisexual, which means he is attracted to both women and men.

I still don't understand the need to be angry about this. All comic book heroes have huge subplots with their love interests in it. Tim happens to have a boyfriend now so his "ordinary life" subplot will be about his romance life, like any other hero.
    It's not that he discovered himself it's how they did it. It's the same issues as with Bobby Drake. Flash but no substance.

Take for example Todd Scott (forgot his other last name but his adoptive/Foster family were straight up a$$holes, so not giving them time of day). When DC started to show him expressing interest in men they used Atom Smasher to do it, and had Al have a heart to heart with Todd as he was worried that Todd was into him as more than friends. It took a whole year or more to get to the point where it was like Todd's gay and Al is his friend and Todd might be interested in one of the side heroes. The way they did it, and the way Marvel did Billy and Teddy was perfect because they took the time to build romances. See MJ and peter.

The problem is everyone wants to rush to the end where they can have the couple together and making out, but that's not how this works, especially in Serialized fiction.

They should have introduced Bernard again. Shown Tim struggling with what he was feeling, realizing that he likes both Steph and Bernard. Talking to Dick, and Bruce, and maybe Cassie or hell even Todd or one of the other older Bi heroes out there, and then have him talk to Steph and deal with what he's feeling with her. Have them break up, give readers who are fans of the couple space to mourn for a bit, and then have him hook up with Bernard.

This should have been done as a maxi series, 12 issues, so that it can cover all the ground it needs to.

That way, A. We get to see Why Tim likes Bernard, B. It gives real aspects of the struggle for a bi person in a relationship, C. It allows TimSteph fans space to mourn. D. It gives readers a better way to connect to Tim and Bernard. Right now it feels like they just wanted to jump to the "And then Tim and Bernard made out and had sexy times under the sheets because that's what hot boys love stories do." And I hate it. I, even as a huge TimSteph fan, am okay with him dating Bernard, but what I can't stand is that it was done in a rush and feels very much like Carlie Cooper, "here you must love this new guy. Hes a blonde like steph, has her blue eyes, totally knows how to kick ass and loves Tim so much he would never get mad at him." Bleh!!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They should have.

They wouldn't because DC are cowards, but it's not like much else is going on with Kon anyway and I doubt Kon/Cassie is anywhere near as popular. They might as well have gone where the money is.
    Kon and Tim...I don't think would work. Just never clicked with me because of how they were as a pair of friends. Close, brotherly sure, but it would have made more sense with Bart over Kon. Hell Zack Zartar would have been more interesting. Or if you really wanted to pull in connections from your other universe. Richie (Rich) Foley, Virgil Hawkin's best friend (animated series Gear) the two have a hell of a lot in common and would have been way more interesting as a duo.

Cassie/Kon was and still is rather popular. It's just that it's over shadowed now by Me'gan/Kon from the animated Young Justice. But very much Cassie and Kon fans are still a thing and we're still hopeful for them to be a couple again.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Twitter and Tumblr don't seem to care and are going gaga over this.
    Before Pride month you would have found more Kon/Tim or Steph/Tim under the Tim Drake tag. Even now it's not as huge as you would think on Tumblr. Bernard is bland and once the honeymoon phase is done, you'll see more shifting to other pairings.

Honestly I hope that people remember that bi means liking girls too for him. Same with Jon. They really shouldn't write off relationships because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by classyjazzy View Post
    im just curious why it's being made such a big deal. okay, hes bi, great. yeah, they messed up with not mentioning him and steph, but it's not like he cant get back with her in the future. it's honestly weird how many people are complaining about pandering after decades of straight cis people being "pandered" to, if we're going to use it that way. it doesnt make him any different than he is before, he just also happens to like men too
    The issue is that some writers seem to see Bi as gay and they won't put him with another girl for fear of facing the wrath of the BL (boys love) stans, who just want their "cute" bl couple that they can fantasize over. So It's up in the air if he can get back with Steph or if DC will be like "Put him with Jon Kent" or another guy just so that we don't lose fans of m/m pairings.

For me it's not the issue of him liking guys, it's the way they did it. The fact that they didn't give Timsteph fans time to digest this break up, and placed Tim with an OC that's more of a self insert than a character, who just happens to have his old friend's name. Seriously there were a number of teens that they could have hooked Tim up with, two come to mind right away (Bunker, and Air Wave), I'm sure there are more and could be far more interesting than Bernard. But we have a dull blonde generic guy that happens to have all of Steph's skills and none of her personality.
    Last edited by Darkspellmaster; 06-03-2022 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I've been saying for years to make Dick, Babs, and Star a throuple, but nooo.
    It's not something I see any of them being interested in, but I'd roll with it if it meant forever being rid of the back and forth. The Betty/Veronica thing needs to die forever and they all need consistent love interests, and if that means Dick is with both women, fine. I don't think any of them are throple material (Dick, if any of them) but better that than how DC has often handled things.

A throple doesn't remove the problems with Babs being a love interest *and* a headliner of course, DickBabs' longevity as a couple is deeply endangered because of that, but I'd still take it as long as it meant consistency and a portrayal that doesn't paint them all in a bad light more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by classyjazzy View Post
    im just curious why it's being made such a big deal.
    Because representation is still lacking enough that when it comes along, especially for a name as big as "Robin," then it's worth talking about. The questionable execution has just given us more to say on the matter.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-03-2022 at 08:54 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post

The issue is that some writers seem to see Bi as gay and they won't put him with another girl for fear of facing the wrath of the BL (boys love) stans, who just want their "cute" bl couple that they can fantasize over. So It's up in the air if he can get back with Steph or if DC will be like "Put him with Jon Kent" or another guy just so that we don't lose fans of m/m pairings.

For me it's not the issue of him liking guys, it's the way they did it. The fact that they didn't give Timsteph fans time to digest this break up, and placed Tim with an OC that's more of a self insert than a character, who just happens to have his old friend's name. Seriously there were a number of teens that they could have hooked Tim up with, two come to mind right away (Bunker, and Air Wave), I'm sure there are more and could be far more interesting than Bernard. But we have a dull blonde generic guy that happens to have all of Steph's skills and none of her personality.
    This is literally the first guy he has dated. Before that, he's dated women. So, he is Bi. He's been with men and women.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Who are those writers? There's literally not a single bi character in DC who's written as gay.