• Sojourner Mullein

10 11.11%
  • Tai Pham

1 1.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Nah that's pretty much the case in any legacy brand. And by legacy I don't mean Thor and Jane or Steve and Sam or Clint Barton and Kate Bishop, I mean the kind of legacy brand that's been pushed as a legacy brand for longer than most of us have been alive. Barry Allen is indeed another prominent example, while Johnny Blaze for instance is just as "polarizing" as you claim that Hal Jordan is, with many fans preferring Danny Ketch or Robbie Reyes as the main Ghost Rider instead. And don't get me started on Carol Danvers. Any character who has shared the same mantle with others and has been pushed on top for far longer than all of them combined, is bound to be seen as a controversial figure among the fanbase.
    All the Marvel examples you listed either involve characters with small fanbases (Ghost Rider), who don't speak up anymore about a title that doesn't ever last more than a few issues regardless of the lead, or characters who coexist in both comics and adaptations, Spider-man and Hawkeye being prime examples. Thor fans complained about her adopting another character's given name, not that she wielded the hammer. It would be like someone coming along and calling themselves Luke Cage instead of Power Man, even though Luke Cage is a given name, not a mantle.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    All the Marvel examples you listed either involve characters with small fanbases (Ghost Rider), who don't speak up anymore about a title that doesn't ever last more than a few issues regardless of the lead, or characters who coexist in both comics and adaptations, Spider-man and Hawkeye being prime examples. Thor fans complained about her adopting another character's given name, not that she wielded the hammer. It would be like someone coming along and calling themselves Luke Cage instead of Power Man, even though Luke Cage is a given name, not a mantle.
    It's redundant what the size of the fanbase is or how often the characters have been adapted compared to others, any brand that's had different protagonists for decades has a specific figure that people point at and claim they shouldn't be the face of the brand. Even something like Blue Beetle can come off as polarizing at times when despite that Jaime has long been accepted by fans now and is the most frequently adapted Beetle, occasionally you'd still see Ted get the most votes for favorite Blue Beetle on some threads like this. Have you seen how many Sam Alexander fans hate Richard Rider for being the main Nova, regardless of the fact that Nova is C list at best. Thor, Jane or that Erik Masterson guy isn't the same thing. I guess Hank Pym could've been another example to a certain extent though they tainted him beyond redemption when they made him a wifebeater and he hasn't recovered since. Hal on other hand did recover from what DC did to him in the 90s, came back and outsold Batman, and because of that they gave him the big push they did and that subsequently got him even more resentment since portions of the fanbase saw him as "the old guy who came back and took our favorites' spots". Hence why I pointed out that taking Hal off the board has consequences and makes him an easy target, something you don't have with most Green Lanterns because taking most of them out is in the long run inconsequential.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-17-2022 at 02:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It's redundant what the size of the fanbase is or how often the characters have been adapted compared to others, any brand that's had multiple protagonists for decades has a specific figure that people point at and claim they shouldn't be the face of the brand. Even something like Blue Beetle can come off as polarizing at times when despite that Jaime has long been accepted by fans now and is the most frequently adapted Beetle, occasionally you'd still see Ted get the most votes for favorite Blue Beetle on some threads like this. Thor, Jane or that Erik Masterson guy isn't the same thing. I guess Hank Pym could've been another example to a certain extent though they tainted him beyond redemption when they made him a wifebeater and he hasn't recovered since. Hal on other hand did recover from what DC did to him in the 90s, came back and outsold Batman, and because of that they gave him the big push they did and that subsequently got him even more resentment since portions of the fanbase saw him as "the old guy came back and took our favorites' spots". Hence why I pointed out that taking Hal off the board has consequences and makes him an easy target, something you don't have with most Green Lanterns because taking most of them out is in the long run inconsequential.
    Regardless of these polls or the fandom, Hal isn't going to be killed off as long as DC can make money off his trades. Whether or not he's in the spotlight as the central GL is a different question obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In this thread's poll, with 66 people having voted so far, Hal is the second-most-popular GL (John Stewart currently has seven more votes than Hal).

Go figure.
    I think part of the reason is that this poll allows for three votes and I would wager a lot more Hal fans also chose John, whereas a lot of John fans didn't choose Hal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think part of the reason is that this poll allows for three votes and I would wager a lot more Hal fans also chose John, whereas a lot of John fans didn't choose Hal.
    We’re not mindreaders, even though you can look at the voters for each option, you can’t tell how they would rank their choices.

Hal, John, Guy. I love all of them but those are the 3 heavy hitters.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I’d choose Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz and John Stewart
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Guy, John, and Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm sure there's a lot of John fans that chose Hal. There's actually a few Hal fans on these boards that comes to my mind who I think wouldn't choose John.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    We’re not mindreaders, even though you can look at the voters for each option, you can’t tell how they would rank their choices.
    No, it's not mindreading and it's far from scientific, but a quick perusal of this thread will show that of the people who listed their choices in the comments, people who chose both Hal and John listed Hal before John, so I will presume they are Hal fans. Whereas I'm pretty sure nobody who listed John first listed Hal at all.(and John was also on lists where another GL was listed first, whereas Hal wasn't on people's lists unless he was first) All of which does support the notion that John is the most popular in terms of being liked overall. (as opposed to the most votes for favorite, where Hal usually squeaks ahead of John)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-17-2022 at 10:11 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I chose Guy, John & Kyle.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Here's My Top (3) Three choices...

Kyle Rayner

John Stewart

Hal Jordan

I'll ditch them them all, the franchise now rests on Ch'ps tiny shoulders.

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I would go with Killowag.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post

He'll do better than all those human jobbers anyway.