7 7.78%
  • Sojourner Mullein

10 11.11%
  • Tai Pham

1 1.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default You Can Only Keep 3 Green Lanterns, Who Do You Choose?

In keeping with the DC tradition of the establishing a Trinity and the fact that the GL franchise is so overcrowded, I felt inspired to ask everyone which 3 GL’s you would keep around? There’s currently a total of 8 (9 if you count Tai) human Lanterns, so who would you keep around?
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Guy and Kyle,
    The third one could be one among Hal or John.
    I don’t care about the others.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Let's ask Hal and John.

Incredible Member

Personally I choose Kyle Rayner (my 1st GL, thank you Grant Morrison's JLA), John Stewart (Thank you JLU) and Jessica Cruz (great design and backstory).

Hal, John and I was hesitant between Kyle and Jessica but ultimately had to go with Jessica, despite that Kyle has a lot of sentimental value to me being the first GL I ever read about. A "trinity" just doesn't sound right without a female character and Jessica is the only choice here, no offense to Jo or Kelly fans.

Hal, John, and Jessica. Hal is the most prominent lantern. John because an entire generation grew up with him (me included) thanks to the DCAU in addition to being one of DC’s first Black superheroes. Jessica because she’s the most prominent female lantern and probably one of the biggest success stories from the new 52. Basically these three are the lanterns we see the most in external media to begin with.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Hal, John, and Jessica.

Kyle is a very close 4th though; and while I say I like Guy, when I think about it I really only like him within the context of 80's/90's JLI.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    In keeping with the DC tradition of the establishing a Trinity and the fact that the GL franchise is so overcrowded, I felt inspired to ask everyone which 3 GL’s you would keep around? There’s currently a total of 8 (9 if you count Tai) human Lanterns, so who would you keep around?
    ^^^I can’t pick three.
    Like w. the LoSH, once this question is posed, cutting the team to under ten characters always leaves me unfulfilled.

Hal, John, Guy, Kyle (who I liken to Marvel’s Steve, Sam, Walker, Bucky) are the GL’s Quadrinity.
    Alan Scott’s the grandad of GLs and has a unique link to the Corps.
    Jessica Cruz is a strong character, her time on the Odyssey team really fleshed her out.
    Far ranging Sojourner has an interesting niche.
    Tai Pham is just waiting for a good creative team to have him break out.
    Teen Lantern’s a good character; she reminds me of how Tim Drake wasn’t chosen by Batman but proved himself in various ways.
    Heck even Kai-Ro from Justice League Beyond has stories to be told.

Man I wish they would write lots of stories with Kai-ro. He was so cool
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-17-2022 at 06:20 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Hal, John, Guy, Kyle (who I liken to Marvel’s Steve, Sam, Walker, Bucky) are the GL’s Quadrinity
    These personalities are not remotely similar, and Walker was never part of Steve’s clique. It’s like your thought process is “3 white guys and a black guy”

Hal and Sam are ESFPs (Se-Fi-Te-Ni) (Comic book Sam is ISFP though), Steve is ISFJ (Si-Fe-Ti-Ne), Stewart is ISTJ (Si-Te-Fi-Ne), Bucky is ISTP (Ti-Se-Ni-Fe), Gardner is ESTP (Se-Ti-Fe-Ni), Rayner is ENFP (Ne-Fi-Te-Si) or INFP (Fi-Ne-Si-Te), and Walker is ESTJ (Te-Si-Ne-Fi).
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-17-2022 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    These personalities are not remotely similar, and Walker was never part of Steve’s clique. It’s like your thought process is “3 white guys and a black guy”

Hal and Sam are ESFPs (Se-Fi-Te-Ni), Steve is ISFJ (Si-Fe-Ti-Ne), Stewart is ISTJ (Si-Te-Fi-Ne), Bucky is ISTP (Ti-Se-Ni-Fe), Gardner is ESTP (Se-Ti-Fe-Ni), Rayner is ENFP (Ne-Fi-Te-Si), and Walker is ESTJ (Te-Si-Ne-Fi).
    I don't understand where you get these ratings from. John Stewart as written by Neal Adams or Gerard Jones is a totally different personality from John Stewart written by Bruce Timm or Geoff Johns

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't understand where you get these ratings from. John Stewart as written by Neal Adams or Gerard Jones is a totally different personality from John Stewart written by Bruce Timm or Geoff Johns
    I’m typing the modern comics versions, and if you need a source for the typings, you can check out personality-database.com or learn typology and type them yourself.

John probably started out as an ENTP before the DCAU changed him. (Ironically, Dwayne McDuffie was an ENTP)

Characters tend to change personalities in different eras or in alternative universes. You see this with Superman more than anyone else. Golden Age Superman is ENFJ, Silver Age Superman is ENTP, Post- Crisis Superman is ISFJ (which has bled into pretty much every adaptation of him), Red Son Superman is INFJ, Dark Knight Superman is ESFJ.

Sometimes it just takes one writer to change a character’s later depictions. Pre -Geoff Johns Conner Kent is a cocky ESFP, but post-Johns he was ISFP. He’s back to being ESFP in the comics again, but he’s ISFP in the cartoon.

Golden Age Batman was ISTP, then he became an INTJ and still is, but the Frank Miller Dark Knight version is ENTJ.

Marvel’s characters have more consistent personalities though. Their types only really change in some adaptations. For example, MCU Sam Wilson (ESFP) is a middle ground between comic Sam (ESFP) and Anthony Mackie (ESTP). Maguire Parker is INFP, Garfield Parker is ISTP, and Holland Parker is ENFP.

On a tangent— A lot of superhero actors share the same type or a similar type to their characters, including RDJ, Hemsworth, Gadot, Cavill, etc. A lot of superhero directors also share the same type as their charter, like Nolan is an INTJ, Raimi is INFP, Jenkins is ENFJ, etc. Doesn’t always happen though. Snyder is ISFP, for example.

Anyway, MBTI is only one lens. You can make different observations with Socionics, Enneagram, Big 5, Attitudinal Psyche, etc.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-17-2022 at 08:15 AM.

^^^haha, whatevs, guy. You have great day.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^haha, whatevs, guy. You have great day.
    I mean, I guess you could’ve gone with Ghostbusters

I mean, I guess you could’ve gone with Ghostbusters
    ^^^Nah, I’d rather be correct.
    I’ll stick to my Steve, Sam, Walker, Bucky comparison.

• Steve and Hal are THE guys in that they’re seen as the best version of their identities
    • Sam and John have earned the respect of others and have proven they can step up if needed.

• Walker and Guy are the obnoxious right wingers.
    • Bucky and Kyle are the young guns who’ve had success w. other identities (more so Bucky than Kyle). Both took over the mantles of Steve and Hal when they died.

This was fun but I’ve no intention of trolling/being trolled/derailing this thread.
    Moving on now.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 05-17-2022 at 12:56 PM.