• Sojourner Mullein

10 11.11%
  • Tai Pham

1 1.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Man I wish they would write lots of stories with Kai-ro. He was so cool
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-17-2022 at 06:20 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Hal, John, Guy, Kyle (who I liken to Marvel’s Steve, Sam, Walker, Bucky) are the GL’s Quadrinity
    These personalities are not remotely similar, and Walker was never part of Steve’s clique. It’s like your thought process is “3 white guys and a black guy”

Hal and Sam are ESFPs (Se-Fi-Te-Ni) (Comic book Sam is ISFP though), Steve is ISFJ (Si-Fe-Ti-Ne), Stewart is ISTJ (Si-Te-Fi-Ne), Bucky is ISTP (Ti-Se-Ni-Fe), Gardner is ESTP (Se-Ti-Fe-Ni), Rayner is ENFP (Ne-Fi-Te-Si) or INFP (Fi-Ne-Si-Te), and Walker is ESTJ (Te-Si-Ne-Fi).
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-17-2022 at 07:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Wonder if tbere's a similar thread for Robins.
    There have plenty of threads about the Batfamily being bloated, but that is more a problem with all the members they added on top of the Robins.

With the Robins at is actually possible for several of them to have ongoings at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    These personalities are not remotely similar, and Walker was never part of Steve’s clique. It’s like your thought process is “3 white guys and a black guy”

Hal and Sam are ESFPs (Se-Fi-Te-Ni), Steve is ISFJ (Si-Fe-Ti-Ne), Stewart is ISTJ (Si-Te-Fi-Ne), Bucky is ISTP (Ti-Se-Ni-Fe), Gardner is ESTP (Se-Ti-Fe-Ni), Rayner is ENFP (Ne-Fi-Te-Si), and Walker is ESTJ (Te-Si-Ne-Fi).
    I don't understand where you get these ratings from. John Stewart as written by Neal Adams or Gerard Jones is a totally different personality from John Stewart written by Bruce Timm or Geoff Johns

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't understand where you get these ratings from. John Stewart as written by Neal Adams or Gerard Jones is a totally different personality from John Stewart written by Bruce Timm or Geoff Johns
    I’m typing the modern comics versions, and if you need a source for the typings, you can check out personality-database.com or learn typology and type them yourself.

John probably started out as an ENTP before the DCAU changed him. (Ironically, Dwayne McDuffie was an ENTP)

Characters tend to change personalities in different eras or in alternative universes. You see this with Superman more than anyone else. Golden Age Superman is ENFJ, Silver Age Superman is ENTP, Post- Crisis Superman is ISFJ (which has bled into pretty much every adaptation of him), Red Son Superman is INFJ, Dark Knight Superman is ESFJ.

Sometimes it just takes one writer to change a character’s later depictions. Pre -Geoff Johns Conner Kent is a cocky ESFP, but post-Johns he was ISFP. He’s back to being ESFP in the comics again, but he’s ISFP in the cartoon.

Golden Age Batman was ISTP, then he became an INTJ and still is, but the Frank Miller Dark Knight version is ENTJ.

Marvel’s characters have more consistent personalities though. Their types only really change in some adaptations. For example, MCU Sam Wilson (ESFP) is a middle ground between comic Sam (ESFP) and Anthony Mackie (ESTP). Maguire Parker is INFP, Garfield Parker is ISTP, and Holland Parker is ENFP.

On a tangent— A lot of superhero actors share the same type or a similar type to their characters, including RDJ, Hemsworth, Gadot, Cavill, etc. A lot of superhero directors also share the same type as their charter, like Nolan is an INTJ, Raimi is INFP, Jenkins is ENFJ, etc. Doesn’t always happen though. Snyder is ISFP, for example.

Anyway, MBTI is only one lens. You can make different observations with Socionics, Enneagram, Big 5, Attitudinal Psyche, etc.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-17-2022 at 08:15 AM.

^^^haha, whatevs, guy. You have great day.

BANNED

^^^haha, whatevs, guy. You have great day.
    I mean, I guess you could’ve gone with Ghostbusters

I mean, I guess you could’ve gone with Ghostbusters
    ^^^Nah, I’d rather be correct.
    I’ll stick to my Steve, Sam, Walker, Bucky comparison.

• Steve and Hal are THE guys in that they’re seen as the best version of their identities
    • Sam and John have earned the respect of others and have proven they can step up if needed.

• Walker and Guy are the obnoxious right wingers.
    • Bucky and Kyle are the young guns who’ve had success w. other identities (more so Bucky than Kyle). Both took over the mantles of Steve and Hal when they died.

This was fun but I’ve no intention of trolling/being trolled/derailing this thread.
    Moving on now.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 05-17-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Hal, John, Jess are my favorites so they’re who I choose.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I was sneaky. I chose Kyle, Guy and John. So they would be the GL's for me in the Corps. And Alan would still be the JSA GL and I would have Hal around as Parallax. But 90's Parallax not yellow bug Parallax. That way we could have these 5 characters and we could see Hal explored more (and hopefully more nuanced as a Magneto type character). That would be ideal for me.
    Last edited by Hol; 05-17-2022 at 01:22 PM.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

BANNED

^^^Nah, I’d rather be correct.
    I’ll stick to my Steve, Sam, Walker, Bucky comparison.

• Steve and Hal are THE guys in that they’re seen as the best version of their identities
    • Sam and John have earned the respect of others and have proven they can step up if needed.

• Walker and Guy are the obnoxious right wingers.
    • Bucky and Kyle are the young guns who’ve had success w. other identities (more so Bucky than Kyle). Both took over the mantles of Steve and Hal when they died.

This was fun but I’ve no intention of trolling/being trolled/derailing this thread.
    Moving on now.
    Dynamics are not the same at all. Comparing Hal to Steve is absurd on its face. He was patterned on JFK and has a similar personality to him, Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton (ESFP). Rogers is much more in line cognitively with Jimmy Carter (ISFJ). None of the characters have the same personalities or remotely similar histories. Very shallow and weak links beyond the superficial.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-17-2022 at 01:33 PM.

In this thread's poll, with 66 people having voted so far, Hal is the second-most-popular GL (John Stewart currently has seven more votes than Hal).

And yet, in the thread "If You Could Kill Off/Retire *ONE* Green Lantern Who Would You Choose?" thread/poll (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...uld-You-Choose), Hal currntly has the MOST votes (34 out of 130; next would be Simon Baz with 31).

Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In this thread's poll, with 66 people having voted so far, Hal is the second-most-popular GL (John Stewart currently has seven more votes than Hal).

And yet, in the thread "If You Could Kill Off/Retire *ONE* Green Lantern Who Would You Choose?" thread/poll (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...uld-You-Choose), Hal currntly has the MOST votes (34 out of 130; next would be Simon Baz with 31).

Go figure.
    The top guy always has the most detractors. It's just how it is. Killing off Simon Baz, sorry to say it, has zero consequences for the future direction of the GL brand. Killing off, retiring or in any way sabotaging Hal Jordan has lots of consequences as we've already seen before. Naturally he's the easiest target.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Go figure.
    He has always been polarizing, which is why Guy Gardner was created in the first place. He wasn’t just supposed to be a one and done story but an actual possible replacement lead for the franchise.

“Top guy” doesn’t always have the most detractors. That’s pretty unique to GL and to a lesser extent Flash.

Carmine Infantino quotes from 1971 on why Green Lantern shared a title with Green Arrow:

“I’d like to say I had a great dream,” says Infantino, “but it didn’t happen that way. Green Lantern was dying. The whole superhero line was dying. Everything was sagging, everything. When your sales don’t work, they’re telling you something. The front office told me, get rid of the book, but I said, let me try something, just for three issues. We started interviewing groups of kids around the country. The one thing they kept repeating: they want to know the truth. Suddenly the light bulb goes on: Wow, we’ve been missing the boat here!”

“… The kids are more sophisticated than anyone imagines, and we feel the doors are so wide open here that we’re going in many directions…” He was so excited during our talk that he stood up. “We’re akin to a young lady pregnant and having her first baby.” He grinned shyly.
    https://50yearoldcomics.com/2022/02/...89-april-1972/

https://www.nytimes.com/1971/05/02/a...-relevant.html

Carmine Infantino on why Green Lantern was cancelled in 1972:

CBA: Did you push relevance as a trend?

Carmine: You're talking about Green Lantern/Green Arrow, aren't you? That book was dying, so I told Julie to do what he wanted with the damn thing-and I believe it was Denny and Neal's idea to come up with the idea of Green Arrow and the Black Power sort of thing; that's what kicked it off. We did some other things in there but we had to be careful because we had to remember that comics were entertainment. You could put out some intelligent stories but you had to be quite careful.

CBA: Why was Green Lantern cancelled?

Carmine: Probably for the same reason other books were cancelled-they didn't sell-in this case, the artist being very late. We had to cobble up the next-to-last issue out of reprints almost overnight. It was a marginal book and the printer's late fees killed the book.
    https://twomorrows.com/comicbookarti...infantino.html

Parallax happened in the 90s for the same reason.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-17-2022 at 02:35 PM.

“Top guy” doesn’t always have the most detractors. That’s pretty unique to GL and to a lesser extent Flash.
    Nah that's pretty much the case in any legacy brand. And by legacy I don't mean Thor and Jane or Steve and Sam or Clint Barton and Kate Bishop, I mean the kind of legacy brand that's been pushed as a legacy brand for longer than most of us have been alive. Barry Allen is indeed another prominent example, while Johnny Blaze for instance is just as "polarizing" as you claim that Hal Jordan is, with many fans preferring Danny Ketch or Robbie Reyes as the main Ghost Rider instead. And don't get me started on Carol Danvers. Any character who has shared the same mantle with others and has been pushed on top for longer than all of them combined, is bound to be seen as a controversial figure among the fanbase.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-17-2022 at 02:22 PM.