Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Assuming Angelica is on the team, I'm actually weirdly more worried for Vance than for her. I have the weirdest feeling we'll be seeing him pop up as a supporting character, so that Duggan can make with the swerve that rather than Angelica represent an extreme end of the spectrum compared to most Krakoans, she'll have a stance in between the rest of the team and Vance who has historically had even less interest in mutant affairs than she has.

I still am gonna cross fingers for Monet to be on the team regardless of the numbers or the likelihood that Firestar's the only character from the vote who'll make it on, just because I love her and she's been way too under-utilized in this era and deserves something to wash the stink of that X-Corp mini off of her. And its just painful that we haven't gotten her and Ev interacting since his resurrection, outside of a single fan-made comic. Gimme a revisiting of their relationship over the thing with Laura, times a million.

But yeah, I do agree with everyone commenting that the proposed lineup is extremely white, but tbh Synch is pretty much the only character of color Duggan's used in the past several years without severely underutilizing them so cynically I'm just gonna sigh about how its not like its a given that having more characters of color present would be any more to their benefit than it was to Shiro's. 'Barely having characters of color present in a lineup' to 'having characters of color present but barely using them' isn't really an improvement so much as just a lateral move. Still, you gotta have them present before you even CAN use them at all, so there's that.

In terms of dynamics with the characters hinted at here, I DO think Scott, Jean, Bobby, Alex and Wanda is a collection of characters that could make for some really interesting interactions given the sheer wealth of history between those five and how little any of that history has actually been tapped. I mean, when was the last time anyone thought about the fact that Bobby and Wanda have known each other longer than Wanda's known any of her Avengers teammates.....or that Wanda, after just reaffirming in ToM that she and Lorna do consider each other sisters still.....would in this instance be on a team with BOTH of her little sister's two best known ex-boyfriends? Not to mention....outside of a couple stories in the original X-Men run, the original Krakoa story and the generic 'every mutant is part of Utopia' status quo, have Scott and Alex ever really been on the same X-Men team at the same time? And this would mark pretty much the first interactions between Bobby, Scott and Jean since the latter two's return, outside of a couple brief scenes, as well as Bobby and Alex's first time on the same team since epically clashing in Austen and Milligan's runs (largely over Lorna), and allow for a chance to build up a friendship between Wanda and Jean a la their friendship in Jeff Parker's First Class....and speaking of potential supporting cast members, if Duggan picks up on Vecchio's threads with Bobby/Romeo instead of (or along with) revisiting the idea of Bobby/Christian, it would be very interesting to see Scott and Jean's thoughts on the now adult Romeo and Bobby's relationship with him, since they of course knew Romeo as teens too....

*Shrugs* There is a LOT of potential gold to be mined in the assemblage of Scott, Jean, Bobby, Wanda and Alex. Never realized until now how much I would like that mix of characters.

And count me in the list of people who has been waiting 84 million years, give or take an epoch, for Wanda to actually get to be on an X-team, instead of it always being Pietro.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 06-23-2022 at 04:46 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

And now I'm hoping beyond hope that Wanda is a (no longer) 'surprise!' X-Man.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I'm thinking this is the lineup with Monet and Firestar being the toss-up. Hoping for M, of course. Northstar's there because he specifically got name-dropped by Lorna as a potential future member. Iceman's there because of the new artist mentioned drawing him.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Hitting the diversity quota? Why do people always act like this is the only reason we want to see non white characters? Every time someone asks for more diversity someone just has to act like the people complaining only care about quotas? It’s such a dismissive and ignorant argument.
    Probably because of half the people on x-twitter saying that Firestar shouldn't be on the team because of her race?

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Probably because of half the people on x-twitter saying that Firestar shouldn't be on the team because of her race?
    I read many disgusting comments on twitter about people that voted for Firestar. From being called mentally ill, greasy white people and a racists. I'm a gay man from the Seychelles and have very very brown skin! I don't take those insults personally because I have a stance that "twitter isn't real".

Admittedly most if not all of the people throwing insults were M fans. But I won't hate on the character because some of her fans are idiots.
    Last edited by kevlon; 06-24-2022 at 01:22 AM.

Havok?

@BobbysWorld. Cyclops and Havok may have last been on a team when Thomas was writing before Claremont was brought on board. They have had short term team ups when their respective teams have crossed paths since then, and technically were on a team together right at the Stupid Wars transition, but never did anything on panel at that time.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I read many disgusting comments on twitter about people that voted for Firestar. From being called mentally ill, greasy white people and a racists. I'm a gay man from the Seychelles and have very very brown skin! I don't take those insults personally because I have a stance that "twitter isn't real".

Admittedly most if not all of the people throwing insults were M fans. But I won't hate on the character because some of her fans are idiots.
    Twatter's daily dilemmas are often overwrought, which has led to the straining of its credibility. Ignorant, too, mutants aren't a race...

they're a SPECIES! As has been confirmed in story just this week, by both Iceman in his Infinity comic, and then Synch in X-Men #12.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I think we should at least expect an unexpected addition, like Synch was with the previous election.

My hope is that one of the Young/Mew X-Men will be included, either Hellion, or Surge, or Mercury or even Indra, (almost) any of them.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I think we should at least expect an unexpected addition, like Synch was with the previous election.

My hope is that one of the Young/Mew X-Men will be included, either Hellion, or Surge, or Mercury or even Indra, (almost) any of them.
    I agree with MoS.

They're bound to throw a "Them??" character in the mix who has yet to get heavier panel time, like Trinary or Forge or Cecilia or maybe even a younger generation mutant.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    Havok?

This just made my day

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

Great idea. Indra could use some fleshing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    @BobbysWorld. Cyclops and Havok may have last been on a team when Thomas was writing before Claremont was brought on board. They have had short term team ups when their respective teams have crossed paths since then, and technically were on a team together right at the Stupid Wars transition, but never did anything on panel at that time.
    Huh? They literally starred together for basically the whole Rosencanny run?

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Huh? They literally starred together for basically the whole Rosencanny run?
    Is that the one where every body dies, but tells Scott how much he sucks right before they do? Starting as a punching bag isn't really my idea of starring.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I’d much rather have Wanda than Firestar and Havok is as basic as you can get. I’d replace Firestar with Monet and Havok with Sunfire since he was barely used anyway.

Man the diversity the teams gained during Hickman is all basically gone. Back to one token minority per team again.
    This seems unfair. Every book but this (where we don't know the cast yet) is the same or better than it was in the Hickman era. It should be better than it is now, but it's unfair to act like Hickman was wildly better and blame his departure.

X-Men Red: Storm, Sunspot lead. Thunderbird, Frenzy, Fisher King, Wiz Kid, various Arakki characters supporting. (Overall about as diverse as SWORD but the focus here is more heavily on characters of color as two of the three leads)

Knights of X: Rictor, Bei the Blood Moon. (A little less diverse than vol 1 with Rictor, Jubilee and a smaller cast)

New Mutants: Dani, Warpath, Karma (smaller cast than Hickman's, with same number of POC. Brisson's cast really just had Armor until it absorbed Hickman's.)

X-Force: Cast is the same as Hickman era but just Forge here, who has a way more prominent role than he did in Hickman era

Marauders: Bishop, Psylocke, Tempo, Daken, Somnus (much more diverse than just Storm & Bishop in vol. 1)

Immortal X-Men: inherited the cast from Hickman but swapped out Magneto for Hope so no change there

Legion of X: Similar cast to Way of X.