Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Not to be that person… but how did this team get whiter?
    Lol, if this is the next team up, then we all know how that game of shenanigans is played! However I would say just swap out Firestar and add Maggot, Jesse Bedlam would be better though.

You guys know that Firestar is probably the vote winner so her place will be locked, right?
    "This is me being reasonable"

Guess I'm in the minority of being happy Firestar is in (hopefully) the lineup.

I've followed her since her New Warriors days so I'm pleased she finally gets another chance to shine in an X book. She's a powerful interesting character that doesn't sing from the same hymn book as the others so I'm intrigued to see what happens.

I do think the team is missing a brick. Someone like Frenzy would have been perfect.

Astonishing Member

I like Firestar, and I hope she does well. My only worry is A if she gets used as a strawman either of Krakoa's detractors or of non-mutant heroes, or if B). Fan backlash gets to the point MArvel buries here asap.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Hitting the diversity quota is not that important to me.
    I was reading UXM when Storm was the only Black person on the team and I loved how Claremont wrote them back then so for me it all comes down to the writing and just what interesting things Duggan is able to do with these characters. The only one I'm nominally familiar with is Firestar so I'll see where he takes her.

Yes, I personally would loved if Monet or Trinary made the cut (I absolutely LOVE them and not because they're WoC) but I'm also happy if Jean-Paul and Alex are chosen.

An' tuh besides...characters of colour are showing up and killing it elsewhere so...
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

What seems likely?

Cyclops, Jean Grey, Synch, X-23, Iceman, Northstar, and (ugh) Firestar.

I'd replace Firestar with Monet obviously but I can live with Firestar for 12 issues if only for the inevitable obligatory Amazing Friends-inspired appearance by Spider-Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post

I've followed her since her New Warriors days so I'm pleased she finally gets another chance to shine in an X book. She's a powerful interesting character that doesn't sing from the same hymn book as the others so I'm intrigued to see what happens.

I do think the team is missing a brick. Someone like Frenzy would have been perfect.
    I voted for Monet, but I loved Firestar's breast cancer story. I thought that was one of the most humanizing arcs for a superhero I've ever read, watching someone have to deal with the downside of their immense power. I think she is a great choice.

Personally, I wish they could hang up most of the popular characters and fill teams with the old forogtten ones we grew up with. But alas...

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I'm gradually warming (heh) to her inclusion on the roster.
    If nothing else, I'm deeply interested in her motivation for even attending the Gala, let alone the nomination/election process.
    Once that's established, I'll be looking forward to the interplay between she and the Krakoans, and their respective ideologies and temperaments specific to the X-Men mission statement, and the Krakoan mission statement, and how they differ.

I'm especially interested with Firestar having appeared in the Iceman 4 issue digital comic and the as yet confirmed inclusion of Bobby among the chosen mutants for Scott, Jean and Ev's team.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Hitting the diversity quota is not that important to me.
    I was reading UXM when Storm was the only Black person on the team and I loved how Claremont wrote them back then so for me it all comes down to the writing and just what interesting things Duggan is able to do with these characters. The only one I'm nominally familiar with is Firestar so I'll see where he takes her.

Yes, I personally would loved if Monet or Trinary made the cut (I absolutely LOVE them and not because they're WoC) but I'm also happy if Jean-Paul and Alex are chosen.

An' tuh besides...characters of colour are showing up and killing it elsewhere so...
    Hitting the diversity quota? Why do people always act like this is the only reason we want to see non white characters? Every time someone asks for more diversity someone just has to act like the people complaining only care about quotas? It’s such a dismissive and ignorant argument.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 06-23-2022 at 10:40 AM.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Hitting the diversity quota? Why do people always act like this is the only reason we want to see non white characters? Every time someone asks for more diversity someone just has to act like the people complaining only care about quotas? It’s such a dismissive and ignorant argument.
    I see there being two different (and perhaps mutually exclusive) reasons writers put diverse characters in any cast. One is tokenism to wave a flag and say the company is representing, and I think this happens more often than not by including a particular minority and then letting him/her/whatever languish on the panels, or at least fail to explore what their differences mean in the story and the universe. I see little value and wasted potential in these appearances, though I acknowledge for some readers just seeing someone who looks like them an inspiration that was lacking for a very long time.

But the other kind, which I can't get enough of, is to tell great stories from different perspectives that make us feel for and relate to people who do not look like us, which simply can't be done with a team 5 or 6 blonde haired, blue eyed white himbos chasing the big boobed, tiny waisted pale skinned smoke show. But this takes talent and work to write, and I don't think most writers do a good job actually including the parts that make their characters diverse in the story.

Or put another way, it's the difference between say waving a magic wand and saying Peter Parker is suddenly Black and creating Miles Morales, an entirely new (and arguably even more compelling) character who makes us look at Spiderman in an entirely new way.

Just my 2 cents...

Brilliant point! It's funny the amount of exploding brains and folks throwing themselves off cliffs if there happens to be two black mutants on the team. Like why would there be an issue if Bishop and Shola were added to this team which also happens to have Everett on it already?

I took Devai's comment as them being fine with whatever cast, so long as the characters and writing are good. The make-up of the cast is not important to them, one way or the other. I get that, and I can also understand why people want more representation. Personally, I really want a cast that's aesthetically pleasing (featuring a diversity of designs that avoid overlapping themes and color schemes) and features Hellion.

Quote Originally Posted by imbatman1206 View Post
    himbos chasing the big boobed
    Actually scratch what I just said. I want a book like this, plus Hellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Chill there Unice...

My post was not a statement or reflection on what you or anyone else may think, want or feel. I couldn't care any less.

My post is expressedly my thoughts and feelings on the matter of having a diverse team and absolutely nothing to do with you and anyone else here.

Rifty gets it.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-23-2022 at 01:41 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    A prediction by someone with a source...

Would love this team. It's balanced and diverse in most metrics. Like others have said technically this team is missing a brawler type but considering the firepower that the other members bring to the table makes it a bit of a moot point.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Wanda on the x-men seems like too good of an idea to be true sadly. But Havok, really? I already know he’s not gonna have anything to do on this team. If we need an x-man to stand around and fill up panel space, can we at least get a more handsome one