Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Batman: One Bad Day – Mr. Freeze #1 Preview
    Writer: Gerry Duggan
    Artist: Matteo Scalera

How consistent has Nora's hair color been?

I was kind of wondering if Victor was insinuating she was having an affair for a second there. Seems like Duggan is depicting him as a bit off-kilter, or really withdrawn, even before Nora got frozen. Though she's definitely sick here.

The trunks with leggings is an interesting look for Robin.

Amazing Member

Spectacular issue! Loved it. Writing and art!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    Spectacular issue! Loved it. Writing and art!
    I agree, this was just excellent all the way around--really enjoyed it!

An excellent comic book with a page that could screw it up, Well, it wouldn't be Duggan if it was perfect.

CLAYFACE PREVIEW..

LOOKS LIKE HE HAS A BOYFRIEND

Batman: One Bad Day: Catwoman

NEW RELEASE DATE: 1/10/23

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MAR420X View Post

CLAYFACE PREVIEW..

LOOKS LIKE HE HAS A BOYFRIEND

Didn't the Batman Animated Series team implied that Clayface in his 2 parter intro Feat of Clayer that his supportive friend

https://dcau.fandom.com/wiki/Teddy_Lupus

was actually his bf? Sure it was Matt Hagen in the cartoon.

I mean, they might end up confirming Clayface is Bi but it could just be a supportive friend.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I haven't read the Freeze issue, and may never read it as I don't prefer unsympathetic Freeze origins. All that being said, having only read the CBR article on the story (which contains details of the story), the nicest thing I can say is that I'd probably prefer this Duggan version of the unsympathetic Freeze origin to Scott Snyder's in that Annual. Cold cruel yet very sane is better than Scott Snyder's take.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-22-2022 at 02:02 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

B ought Duggan's Mister Freeze issue. I think it embodies why Mister Freeze works best in stories where there is another villain, a more irredeemable villain. When he's in the same story as another villain in the BTAS and Batman Beyond, there is this tragic contrast between Mister Freeze caring only about one person, and the other villain who cares only about himself.

Mister Freeze in such stories comes across as a tragic antihero or antivillain.

When he's completely alone in a story, then he's the villain, and you end up with stuff like this where his nature is twisted into simple selfishness and grotesquery. He no longer feels like Mister Freeze, instead becoming just irredeemable Batman villain number 4567.

Duggan's Freeze is a BWAHAHAH mustache twirler who is happy that his wife is frozen BWAHAHAH because that means she isn't out spending his money or partying BWAHAHAH. He's basically her murderer, robbing her of enjoying her last days so he can have a vegetable that never displeases him, and he's happy about everything working out this way BWAHAHAHAHAH mustache twirl and he never cared about her hopes or desires BWAHAHAHAH.

And then he takes one thing she said to heart which makes zero sense in the face of all the BWAHAHAHing psychopathy he's displayed up until that point. It feels like characterization from a completely unrelated character plunked down into the last few pages. So much so that I can't help but think that there was some narrative short-circuit created by an editor wanting one thing and the writer the other.

I could never imagine this BWAHAHAHing psycho saying something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EtHfr0eBA4

I was incredibly disappointed. Mister Freeze is my favorite BTAS antagonist. Instead I wasted 8 bucks on a generic BWAHAHAHAH villain.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 11-26-2022 at 12:04 AM.

Huh, looks like her hair is longer?

Extraordinary Member

Variant by Jim Lee

Variant by Giuseppe Camuncoli

Variant by Liam Sharp

Extraordinary Member

Variant by Daniel Warren Johnson

Variant by Hayden Sherman