Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

I love that Film Poster cover .

artwork looks stunning
    Last edited by MAR420X; 12-11-2022 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Images are not showing up.
    sorry was out of town

That art is fantastic !

I'm not a big fan of Tom Taylor's Damian, but it makes sense he'd show up in this. And back in his old Robin suit .

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MAR420X View Post
    sorry was out of town

I thought he was killing Namor. Lol.

I really hope they find SOMETHING interesting for this book. I am so bored of Ra's.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Arrogant and corrupt rich dudes biting it in a Tom Taylor comic? What a surprise .

Gotta love that Selina smirk .

I hope that writing manages to match the wonderful visuals.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    B ought Duggan's Mister Freeze issue. I think it embodies why Mister Freeze works best in stories where there is another villain, a more irredeemable villain. When he's in the same story as another villain in the BTAS and Batman Beyond, there is this tragic contrast between Mister Freeze caring only about one person, and the other villain who cares only about himself.

Mister Freeze in such stories comes across as a tragic antihero or antivillain.

When he's completely alone in a story, then he's the villain, and you end up with stuff like this where his nature is twisted into simple selfishness and grotesquery. He no longer feels like Mister Freeze, instead becoming just irredeemable Batman villain number 4567.

Duggan's Freeze is a BWAHAHAH mustache twirler who is happy that his wife is frozen BWAHAHAH because that means she isn't out spending his money or partying BWAHAHAH. He's basically her murderer, robbing her of enjoying her last days so he can have a vegetable that never displeases him, and he's happy about everything working out this way BWAHAHAHAHAH mustache twirl and he never cared about her hopes or desires BWAHAHAHAH.

And then he takes one thing she said to heart which makes zero sense in the face of all the BWAHAHAHing psychopathy he's displayed up until that point. It feels like characterization from a completely unrelated character plunked down into the last few pages. So much so that I can't help but think that there was some narrative short-circuit created by an editor wanting one thing and the writer the other.

I could never imagine this BWAHAHAHing psycho saying something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EtHfr0eBA4

I was incredibly disappointed. Mister Freeze is my favorite BTAS antagonist. Instead I wasted 8 bucks on a generic BWAHAHAHAH villain.
    I can see why people who love BTAS Freeze would dislike the story, but I think this characterization of his characterization of Freeze is a little bit unfair. There's clearly a mix of genuine love and unhealthy possessiveness, and even after he aggressively declares that he likes his life and her "this way", he still shows genuine distress when she's in danger.

If Freeze is painted only as a grieving father, then he ceases becoming a villain at all. In fact he becomes a hero willing to do whatever it takes to get his loved one back - which is all-too-easily cured by just giving him a lab and money, something Wayne has plenty of. Freeze can still be sympathetic, but also have villainous qualities. Otherwise Batman is the damn villain.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    If Freeze is painted only as a grieving father, then he ceases becoming a villain at all. In fact he becomes a hero willing to do whatever it takes to get his loved one back - which is all-too-easily cured by just giving him a lab and money, something Wayne has plenty of. Freeze can still be sympathetic, but also have villainous qualities. Otherwise Batman is the damn villain.
    I think you go a tad too far here. As an old proverb goes: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. You can't be a hero and "do whatever it takes to get his loved one back" when said person determines "whatever it takes" requires murder and other evil acts.

I think Freeze can be a grieving husband, and so be sympathetic, but also be a villain precisely because he's too willing to "do whatever it takes."

I admit Nora presents somewhat of a conundrum for serial writing of Freeze, but I myself think the best course is not to diminish the grieving husband thing (that BTAS made so seminal) so much as making it more clear to readers that reviving Nora is a futile dead-end & just show how bitterly nasty Freeze can be as the grieving husband. I'd more present Freeze as having become a very bitter coldly angry loner where all of his schemes/alliances aren't all super directly related to reviving Nora, sometimes he's just a angry bitter criminal looking to hurt people as basically frustrated outbursts, but also maybe sometimes his schemes are more directly part of yet another desperate (and futile) attempt to revive her.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-06-2023 at 12:27 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Just don't make Nora a Supervillain.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Arrogant and corrupt rich dudes biting it in a Tom Taylor comic? What a surprise .
    Is this supposed to be seen as a bad thing?

Jaime McKelvie can literally do no wrong.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Is this supposed to be seen as a bad thing?
    In the context of feeling repetitive and a little too on-the-nose? Maybe a little.
    Jaime McKelvie can literally do no wrong.
    There've been some redesigns of his that just didn't work for me and sometimes the characters feel a tad too plastic-y, but he is an amazing artist.