Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I think you go a tad too far here. As an old proverb goes: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. You can't be a hero and "do whatever it takes to get his loved one back" when said person determines "whatever it takes" requires murder and other evil acts.

I think Freeze can be a grieving husband, and so be sympathetic, but also be a villain precisely because he's too willing to "do whatever it takes."

I admit Nora presents somewhat of a conundrum for serial writing of Freeze, but I myself think the best course is not to diminish the grieving husband thing (that BTAS made so seminal) so much as making it more clear to readers that reviving Nora is a futile dead-end & just show how bitterly nasty Freeze can be as the grieving husband. I'd more present Freeze as having become a very bitter coldly angry loner where all of his schemes/alliances aren't all super directly related to reviving Nora, sometimes he's just a angry bitter criminal looking to hurt people as basically frustrated outbursts, but also maybe sometimes his schemes are more directly part of yet another desperate (and futile) attempt to revive her.
    But it presumably only requires murder if people are stopping him from using other means. Research, in a lab. The fix is too easy and obvious.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    But it presumably only requires murder if people are stopping him from using other means. Research, in a lab. The fix is too easy and obvious.
    I think if you have Freeze as a stubborn angry loner distrustful type, you can see why he'd insist to have a lab on his own terms (ethics and etc be damned, if he wants to do dangerous experiments, he will), funded/supplied by own efforts (to ensure no strings). And for that to happen, money and utilities and etc (perhaps like dead bodies, living bodies, animals, etc) would be a hindrance to all that, and thus evil acts would be required to attain what is needed to do things his way (because that's the only way he knows, the only way he accepts).

(My uncle is a semi-retired genius doctor, and is absolutely a lot like the Fries type person I describe, does things his own way alone, thinks he has all the answers)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-09-2023 at 11:34 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I think if you have Freeze as a stubborn angry loner distrustful type, you can see why he'd insist to have a lab on his own terms (ethics and etc be damned, if he wants to do dangerous experiments, he will), funded/supplied by own efforts (to ensure no strings). And for that to happen, money and utilities and etc (perhaps like dead bodies, living bodies, animals, etc) would be a hindrance to all that, and thus evil acts would be required to attain what is needed to do things his way (because that's the only way he knows, the only way he accepts).

(My uncle is a semi-retired genius doctor, and is absolutely a lot like the Fries type person I describe, does things his own way alone, thinks he has all the answers)
    I'll take that, it fits.

Mr. Freeze is not a very social person...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Mr. Freeze is not a very social person...
    Has kind of a cold personality.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member

Batman: One Bad Day – Bane #1 Preview
    Writer: Joshua Williamson
    Artist: Howard Porter

I'm usually a fan of Williamson, but what the heck is that!?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm usually a fan of Williamson, but what the heck is that!?
    Cheerful, black lipsticked Lucha-Bane is now my happy place. Lol.

I have just made it the background on my work PC.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Cheerful, black lipsticked Lucha-Bane is now my happy place. Lol.

I have just made it the background on my work PC.
    Yeah, but it's goofier than I expected them to start off with here .

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Batman: One Bad Day – Bane #1 Preview
    Writer: Joshua Williamson
    Artist: Howard Porter

I'm actually really curious about this one. I'm hoping we can get something like Vengeance of Bane - a really hard hitting story. This whole One Bad Day thing has been really hit or miss for me, mostly misses, but despite my dislike of Porter's art, I am kinda excited to see Bane's turn.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Yeah, but it's goofier than I expected them to start off with here .
    Totally get that. These books are nebulous in their continuity so as long as I'm entertained I'll be happy.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I did enjoy the Bane issue, even though it didn't make much sense continuity wise. Some panels Porters art was great, some terrible. His "new" style is very later Denys Cowan like and not a huge fan of it. Much preferred his previous style.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I did enjoy the Bane issue, even though it didn't make much sense continuity wise. Some panels Porters art was great, some terrible. His "new" style is very later Denys Cowan like and not a huge fan of it. Much preferred his previous style.
    Despite the flack for Death of the Justice League, that surprises me coming from Williamson.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I mean, this feels explicitly like an alternate future, similar to things that King did with Riddler.

And I have to say, I was blown away by this issue. Even though I don't love Porter's art, it was really clear storytelling and my eye didn't hurt while reading it. And Williamson really came up with a strong take and understanding of Bane and Batman that I really love. I kind of wish Williamson had brought this approach to his Batman run, because I think this will stand up next to Vengeance of Bane, whereas his Batman run including Shadow War is already pretty forgotten.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

As someone that is sick and tired of Bane being stuck in an endless loop of retreading Knightfall over and over since is the only thing writers want to do with him, I really liked this story. In some ways, is just a retread of Revenge of Bane with him going after the Venom supply and beating it to prove that he's better and stronger than that but that is a much better direction for Bane as a character. Plus, I'm a sucker for redemption stories.

This issue reminds me too of the Superboy Prime story that ran during Death Metal, a one-shot that kind of addresses the issues that have plagued the characters for years and finally allows them to have closure. They could retire Bane after this and I wouldn't mind but I know that sooner than later a new writer will come along and throw Bane back into the endless loop.