Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo

Mighty Member

I thought you meant Hildegard Hamhocker's little niece...

meh, hard pass
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Building up the street-level MCU side.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Hmm, so I will have to watch some of it. Oh well.
    I'm sure you can read up on it, or watch a review that would catch you up on what you need to know before the DD show. There will certainly be YT videos before "Born Again" airs.

Weird that the Agatha spin-off organically grew out of her popularity in Wandavision, whereas this one was basically announced up-front and then they did absolutely sod-all to make the character interesting in Hawkeye. Something about carts going before horses.

I hate to say this, because I don't think it was because they were "woke", or some other idiocy. But they might have thought a deaf, Latina/Native American character was more interesting on paper than she turned out on the screen. I think in the end, both how they wrote her, one note obsession, and the actress who portrayed her, made her not interesting at all.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-25-2022 at 07:26 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

I hate to say this, because I don't think it was because they were "woke", or some other idiocy. But they might have thought a deaf, Latina character was more interesting on paper than she turned out on the screen. I think in the end, both how they wrote her, one note obsession, and the actress who portrayed her, made her not interesting at all.
    Echo is native american in the mcu.
    Half native american and half latino in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Echo is native american in the mcu.
    Half native american and half latino in the comics.
    Thanks for the correction. I will edit my post, but point stands. And to be clear, I do think a deaf Latina/Native American character sounds interesting. But that alone is not enough. I remember reading the original Echo story in Daredevil by David Mack. Nice art, but boring as hell.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-25-2022 at 07:30 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Weird that the Agatha spin-off organically grew out of her popularity in Wandavision, whereas this one was basically announced up-front and then they did absolutely sod-all to make the character interesting in Hawkeye. Something about carts going before horses.
    No, it's not weird. The difference is not "organic" as you presume - which based on your comment seems to mean "what the fans want or responded to." But when has that ever been the case? Rarely. It's happened, ("Loki") but this is more akin to how every other show is green-lit: by the people in charge, without input from fans. Marvel has had a decent track record of finding success from less than A list characters (like Iron Man) and movies "nobody asked for" like Guardians of the Galaxy, so... fan entitlement or expectations are a shitty barometer. There's no "cart before the horse" here because the industry doesn't just give us shows according to fan response. (I'm pretty sure nobody was clamoring for prequel spin-offs for Saul Goodman or Cassian Andor either, but those turned out pretty well)

And btw, I liked Echo and the actress's performance.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-25-2022 at 07:40 AM.

Good point j9ac9k. Who would think the Ms Marvel show would be so much fun. It's all in the execution. And who knows? Maybe they can turn this character around in her own series. But they blew making her interesting enough for viewers in the Hawkeye show.

Good point j9ac9k. Who would think the Ms Marvel show would be so much fun. It's all in the execution. And who knows? Maybe they can turn this character around in her own series. But they blew making her interesting enough for viewers in the Hawkeye show.
    Thanks, but Fwiw, I found her plenty interesting in "Hawkeye." (you don't have to speak for all viewers) I was only sad she had to kill Kasi because I thought they had good chemistry. It's very open what this show will be.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Thanks, but Fwiw, I found her plenty interesting in "Hawkeye." (you don't have to speak for all viewers) I was only sad she had to kill Kasi because I thought they had good chemistry. It's very open what this show will be.
    To be honest I just felt bad that the guy who killed her dad got to have his Christmas with his family like nothing had ever happened.

Extraordinary Member

I mean, the character was more or less doomed to begin with in the sense that she was being raised (by her own father, no less) to be a lieutenant in the army of NYC's biggest crimelord. I feel more bad for her that she was raised that way than anything else.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, the character was more or less doomed to begin with in the sense that she was being raised (by her own father, no less) to be a lieutenant in the army of NYC's biggest crimelord. I feel more bad for her that she was raised that way than anything else.
    I don't think we got the sense of that. Like Kingpin was her uncle and she was trained in self-defense but I never got the sense that she was being raised specifically to join the family and had no choice in the matter. Or that her dad was bad enough to deserve getting killed with no trial.

Maybe this show will explore it more.

^^I agree. Kazi said that this life was never meant to be hers. Her father's death is probably what changed that.