Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Why does a diverse hire have to prove themselves more than any other? If the actress/character doesn't hit them cool. But don't blame it on "diversity." When a hetero white male character sucks, nobody brings up their race/gender/etc. Treat Echo the same.
    I am bringing it up because I suspect (could be wrong) that part of the reason Disney went forward with Echo was because of diversity. Not sure what about her character in Hawkeye made them want to give her her own show? I don't know if I even blame the actress, the writing and character themselves didn't appeal to me. I didn't think she was a bad actress.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I still wish she had gotten a better resolution with Clint killing her father.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am bringing it up because I suspect (could be wrong) that part of the reason Disney went forward with Echo was because of diversity. Not sure what about her character in Hawkeye made them want to give her her own show? I don't know if I even blame the actress, the writing and character themselves didn't appeal to me. I didn't think she was a bad actress.
    Well according to the creator's, it was because the actress impressed them. Now you or I may not agree with her ability but that doesn't mean they were lying or just doing for diversity. You don't realize how that's kind of offensive, right?

And the reason I bring up hetero white men is because when one of them is a subpar actor, nobody claims it was only done because they're a cishet white man. You just critique their acting skills and keep it moving.

To me, this is a perfect way to use the Disney plus series format. Side character with an interesting backstory and cameos (Kingpin, Daredevil) but maybe not enough to carry a feature length film. Personally really looking forward to it, I'll be binging it the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still wish she had gotten a better resolution with Clint killing her father.
    Yes, and I'm ever so slightly disappointed that this series is more of a prequel origin story for Echo so won't tie up loose ends from Hawkeye.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Spectacular Member

Um, where exactly did I bash white men? I didn't say anything derogatory about them so you stop it. You're not a victim.

What I did say is you don't need to mention a character's race, ethnicity, etc in order to criticize them ad it has no bearing. I also correctly pointed out how you wouldn't do the same to straight, white males. That's not bashing lol

Who said they're "just ticking boxes," though? Again, why do minorities have to prove themselves? Whether consciously or subconsciously, that's what you're doing when you say they "need to be compelling."
    Take a seat. When you bring up white hetero men in a discussion about a non white character you are being derogatory. You're not a victim and I'm not white or hetero so don't assume. Thanks for protecting all of us brown and queer people. I said they are ticking boxes. Look at what they ah e been producing. It's insulting to us non white non hetero peope. Don't bother responding to his. I'm not playing anymore games with you. I never criticized the performer or her acting abilities. I criticized the boring character. Have a great day. I'm glad you are on my side! I know it makes you feel better and god knows I cannot protect myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    To me, this is a perfect way to use the Disney plus series format. Side character with an interesting backstory and cameos (Kingpin, Daredevil) but maybe not enough to carry a feature length film. Personally really looking forward to it, I'll be binging it the first day.
    Same. The only issue is that they have already done her story arc with the Kingpin on Hawkeye so besides maybe exploring her family what are they going to do next?

I think it's the other way around. They were always looking to make an Echo show but figured their chances were better if they included her in another show. There were talks of putting her in Moon Knight before they ultimately decided Hawkeye would be best.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I think it's the other way around. They were always looking to make an Echo show but figured their chances were better if they included her in another show. There were talks of putting her in Moon Knight before they ultimately decided Hawkeye would be best.
    I agree that Disney was always looking to make an Echo show before her actual debut on Hawkeye. The actress did a decent job. However I don't think the character was a breakout to the General Audience. The fact that there isn't a big buzz about Echo really makes me question the business sense of Disney. Do they actually believe any IP they bring out is going to be a hit? The MCU already has a few misfires and I wouldn't be surprised if Echo draws blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Same. The only issue is that they have already done her story arc with the Kingpin on Hawkeye so besides maybe exploring her family what are they going to do next?
    Considering this is Disney and everything is connected, this show will probably be as much about Daredevil as Echo. Its going to set up the upcoming Daredevil: Born Again series.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Gray View Post
    Take a seat. When you bring up white hetero men in a discussion about a non white character you are being derogatory. You're not a victim and I'm not white or hetero so don't assume. Thanks for protecting all of us brown and queer people. I said they are ticking boxes. Look at what they ah e been producing. It's insulting to us non white non hetero peope. Don't bother responding to his. I'm not playing anymore games with you. I never criticized the performer or her acting abilities. I criticized the boring character. Have a great day. I'm glad you are on my side! I know it makes you feel better and god knows I cannot protect myself.
    Please get over yourself lol and also have a great day on that high horse.

Well according to the creator's, it was because the actress impressed them. Now you or I may not agree with her ability but that doesn't mean they were lying or just doing for diversity. You don't realize how that's kind of offensive, right?

And the reason I bring up hetero white men is because when one of them is a subpar actor, nobody claims it was only done because they're a cishet white man. You just critique their acting skills and keep it moving.
    Like I said, I don't think it was the actress, I think the character and writing were bad, dull and unappealing. The diversity thing is just speculation. Though I would think they would never say that was part of the decision.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-20-2023 at 07:02 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Spectacular Member

I defend all races, genders, heterosexual, and non-heterosexual people. What I don't do is tear down other people in doing so. There is room for all. What there is not room for is hate on either side. Acceptance for all. That includes white people.

So lol all you want in your posts. You look foolish. lol. Take a seat.

The view from my high horse is impeccable.

Like I said, I don't think it was the actress, I think the character and writing were bad, dull and unappealing. The diversity thing is just speculation. Though I would think they would never say that was Parton the decision.
    And that's perfectly fine. And whether they say it is irrelevant. They also would never say the the fact they chose someone based on being cishet either.

What I'm inviting you to do is be more aware of unconscious bias and how it informs your opinions.
    Last edited by 80sbaby; 05-19-2023 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Gray View Post
    I defend all races, genders, heterosexual, and non-heterosexual people. What I don't do is tear down other people in doing so. There is room for all. What there is not room for is hate on either side. Acceptance for all. That includes white people.

So lol all you want in your posts. You look foolish. lol. Take a seat.

The view from my high horse is impeccable.
    Well I never said anything derogatory against white people so you're still talking nonsense. But troll on, I guess?

And that's perfectly fine. And whether they say it is irrelevant. They also would never say the the fact they chose someone based on being cishet either.

What I'm inviting you to do is be more aware of unconscious bias and how it informs your opinions.
    My bias was I did not like the character in the comics or in the Hawkeye series. I fully support diversity in their shows. I liked She Hulk and Ms Marvel as well as any of their other shows. I thought Moon Knight was their weakest show, I really don't look at these in terms of the race or gender of the character.
    So I'll limit my comments to this character without reference to her race or gender.
    As i said, I never saw anything in the comics to make this character a good choice for a show. And what we saw in Hawkeye made me even less interested. So I am simply saying that I don't see what made Disney want to pick this character, out of all the characters available, for a show.
    Diversity is important, and to think that these companies do not take that into consideration is closing ones eyes to the reality of it all. I am not saying Echo is only there because of diversity, but wondering if it may have played a part does not make me a bigot.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Sooooo, this thread went sideways.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime