Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    DC doesn't have continuity anymore, just a random combination of alternate/contradictory timelines mashed together.

In this comic Dick and Kara are as old as they are in this comic. That is the continuity. DC doesn't care how or if that fits with anything else.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Either Waid or his editor didn't factor that into the equation or has a surprise in stored. During his AMA Waid struck me as a guy who doesn't pay attention to the current comics. So, it's up in the air for now, we just know this is Mark Waid writing his dream book. He want to write his stories without trying to figure out how it fit to other books, hence no married Superman and Dick is Robin. It can be retcon'd anytime without much fuss, I'm guessing. Correct me if I am wrong.

So, my question is: If Dick is 17-18, does that mean Jason died one-year into being Robin? Tim was Robin for six or seven years? Damian has only been Robin for three years? So, how long has Jason Todd been back alive?

Maybe I am overthinking this. My math is off, I just know it.
    Yep!

I think this book is a prime example of editorial allowing writers to play fast and loose with continuity. If it leads to good stories that are enjoyable, all for it. In this book's instance, it helps that it takes place in a loosely and undefined some time in the near past.

Re: Kara... at first was rather ambivalent about the outfit design, but I'm really starting to dig the yellow highlights around the arms and shoulders.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Astonishing Member

Yeah, if the story's this good, it really doesn't matter.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Dear Lord, they're not real. Stop creating problems and blame where it doesn't exist and enjoy the story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Zone View Post
    Dear Lord, they're not real. Stop creating problems and blame where it doesn't exist and enjoy the story.
    This is exactly true!!

BANNED

Considering her costume design, it's possible this book is set on Earth-1985.

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I think what's going on here, is that they're going by pre-Crisis continuity, when Kara would indeed be around Dick's age, or slightly older. The problem is that she was rebooted and is now closer to Tim Drake's age. Though if they explain her 2005 return as a resurrection instead of a reboot, Kara would now seem younger due to not aging when she was dead.
    Kara seems to have whatever age, personality, and past that’s convenient for the story the current writer is telling. She’s become a poster child for continuity being irrelevant when “everything happened”.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    Considering her costume design, it's possible this book is set on Earth-1985.
    That's precisely what I thought. Either Earth-1985, or maybe this is a flashback to pre-COIE Earth 1.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Zone View Post
    This mentality is one of the reasons why DC top book barely tops 100,000k. Where Stan Lee back in the 1960s used the fans to things clean up. Did it always work for Lee? Probably not always, but it sure did help the quality, and it gave later writers a strong foundation to work off. Plus, it gives the reader their money worth. Especially for a shared universe, there should be a strong sense of continuity. I'm not saying continuity errors and plotholes won't happen, but they wouldn't be as frequent and common. A good and coherent continuity is very good for the business and stories. I think most of all, it helps the immersion and suspension of disbelief. How can we immerse our selves into these stories when nothing adds up anymore? How can we suspend our disbelief when something egregious always happens?

So yes, Supergirl's age matter. It may not matter to you, that's okay. It matters to other people who want continuity between stories and writers.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 05-24-2022 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added words

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    That's precisely what I thought. Either Earth-1985, or maybe this is a flashback to pre-COIE Earth 1.
    That's impossible. 1) Apparently, Dick has a Twitter account. And two) Kara was older than Dick pre-crisis.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    That's impossible. 1) Apparently, Dick has a Twitter account. And two) Kara was older than Dick pre-crisis.
    Hmm...fair point. Though I don't think that 100% rules it out though. Pre-COIE Earth One was always on a sliding timescale...maybe on Earth-1985 'now' the Silver Age happened in the present-day instead of the 60's?

As far as Kara and Dick's age goes, I don't think Kara was necessarily older than Dick Pre-COIE. Kara was around 15 when she came to earth in a story published in 1959...I can easily imagine the Robin who was in the comics published around that time being 15ish as well. When Kara died she was probably in her very early 20's, same as Dick. At most she might have been a year or two older.

She was old enough to never join the Teen Titans - she didn't become a Titan until some point after her 2005 reboot.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

She was old enough to never join the Teen Titans - she didn't become a Titan until some point after her 2005 reboot.
    I don't think that proves anything though beyond the fact that, for whatever reason, she never joined the Teen Titans.

Maybe Clark didn't want her working alongside other teenage heroes? He certainly seemed to exert quiet a bit of control over her in the Silver Age.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Because it doesn't make any sense to have her be a contemporary of Robin when she's canonically 21 right now.

Anyway if we say that Dick is in his mid-20s right now to Kara's 21, there's like a 4-5 year difference. She'd have to be like 14.
    Dick is in his late 20s

Yeah, I think she was on the same TT team as Ms. Martian?

Astonishing Member

For a book this good, I don't particularly care if it doesn't exactly line up with Nightwing, Superman, Batman, or any other books. As soon as it was clear that Dick and Kara were relatively the same age, I just plunked it down into it's own continuity and left it at that. I really don't understand why it has to be any more complicated than that.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.