Page 71 of 89 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1324
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I just burned though all 8 existing episodes of this and am now ready for the finale. Based on comments of the slow burn this worked for me. As a binge show it all works for me as an adaption.
    The spilled blood on open wound vs transfusion was clearly a time saving plot device. The "out" being that Bruce's blood is so toxic that "thankfully" he and Jen have the same rare factors in their blood to process that level of gamma exposure. Otherwise there is a risk of Hulks being too easily created.
    Guest stars a plenty and it was a fun ride.
    Emil/Abomination
    Wong
    Daredevil

I can't say I like the Titania costuming. I found Leap Frog to be great. Oh, and Porcupine....we got two of the most sub D-list villains ever in this show!!!
    Mr. Immortal is that the one from Great Lakes Avengers?? Odd portrayal here based on what little I know of him.
    Josh did not have me fooled, I sensed foul play on him very early.

Bring on the finale!!! HulkKing who are you??
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but I think it's understandable from the perspective of fans of the character to want/expect more.

Obviously that's how they played him, I just don't think that was the only way to do it.
    Of course a fan of any character would want more, but I'm emphasizing that it's misguided to expect more. They're not creating a worldwide media empire just to cater to comic book fans. And of course there's more than one way to adapt a character. But I disagree with some notion that they're somehow beholden or responsible to be comics accurate. And even if they were - which comics? Comics can be wildly inconsistent with how they interpret a character in the same continuity between different titles or appearances, let alone in adaptations to another medium.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Of course a fan of any character would want more, but I'm emphasizing that it's misguided to expect more. They're not creating a worldwide media empire just to cater to comic book fans. And of course there's more than one way to adapt a character. But I disagree with some notion that they're somehow beholden or responsible to be comics accurate. And even if they were - which comics? Comics can be wildly inconsistent with how they interpret a character in the same continuity between different titles or appearances, let alone in adaptations to another medium.
    I don't think it's completely misguided. I mean, they cite so much that their method of success is looking to the comics and staying to them even if they still end up changing or altering a lot of stuff (sometimes not for the better), and obviously they are not beholden to anything or anyone (other than I guess corporate, the general audience tuning in, etc), but I don't think some degree of fidelity is that high an expectation.

But maybe I'm just burned from how many Arrowverse characters ended up in name only because so often it felt like the writers just drew a name out a hat and didn't bother looking deeper into it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    There's a lot more to Frog-Man than a one-note joke though.

He's the big-hearted son of a reformed working-class criminal who's trying to atone for his father's misdeeds.

Making him a rich entitled jackass with only the most superficial trappings obviously isn't going to satisfy fans of the character, and why should it?

If that's really what they wanted to go with, they could have used a different name for the guy in the suit. Don't call him Eugene, for crying out loud! Just allude to the fact that maybe there was another Leap-Frog running around at some point and open the possibility for Eugene to become Frog-Man.
    Do people get this upset about that Harley Quinn show on HBO Max? Even Batman isn’t spared from being the butt of a joke. I don’t think writers can or should be expected to be precious about every single character when writing a story. You can’t please everyone.

In a weird way, this is a show that keeps me guessing. I was still suspicious of Blonsky, and I figured there would be more to Josh's ghosting of Jen, but I didn't think he was involved in the plot against her.

Loved seeing Matt and his interactions with Jen. A classic team-up, and they skipped past the secret identity thing by having She-Hulk just unmask him during the fight. I'm eager to see how he'll be treated in his new show, the "one for them one for us" implies he's not suffering financially, but how are things between him and Karen and Foggy? And we need him in costume and with his billy club much more than we got in season 3.

Some of the better fourth wall breaks here, particularly when Jen is aware of twists and the importance of the gala.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I love this show (dodgy CGI aside) and this was the best episode yet. But next week's the finale already?! Man, that's just way too short for a show that feels so much like an old-fashioned, network legal dramedy.

I really hope this is intended as an ongoing series, because I really can't get enough of Tatiana Maslany in this role.
    I rarely say this these days, but they could've easily done a 22-episode season of She-Hulk and then a new season a few months later like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. did.

The Sokovia Accords have been repealed? What? Something so major and was promised to have major repercussions on the MCU...done away with so off-handedly? And didn't they mention the Accords in some Post-Endgame content? I feel like they did. It's like they barely did anything with it and are now excusing themselves from having to ever mention it again, although Damage Control can still find excuses to arrest Superheroes.
    The Accords did have major repercussions, even if they aren't a thing anymore. I can't recall anything specific, but I thought they somehow played into Ms. Marvel. Or was it Spider-Man No Way Home? I guess they need to clear the deck for when new heroes crop up and whatever Valentina is up to so that the Accords don't get in the way.

The thing about the Sokovia Accords is that it would have had to be explained with each new movie or tv show. I saw a lot of "what about the Sokovia Accords?" comments from fans each time a new hero popped up, so we're really better off. After the world-upending events of the Blip and Endgame, it's not crazy to think the world governments changed their tune. And as you said, there's still Damage Control as a softer version of the Accords.
    They don't seem to hesitate to put in the Blip without having to explain it. WandaVision and Black Widow had some confusing scenes for those who didn't realize what was happening.

He could be the MCU's Kite-Man... Maybe now that his legs have been broken,(and burned) he'll have new ones with powerful vibranium springs to be more comics accurate.
    I thought Taserface was the MCU's Kite-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Do people get this upset about that Harley Quinn show on HBO Max? Even Batman isn’t spared from being the butt of a joke. I don’t think writers can or should be expected to be precious about every single character when writing a story. You can’t please everyone.
    Harley Quinn is a comedic cartoon. This is the MCU, which defines these characters to the general public and influences the comic books themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    In a weird way, this is a show that keeps me guessing. I was still suspicious of Blonsky, and I figured there would be more to Josh's ghosting of Jen, but I didn't think he was involved in the plot against her.

Loved seeing Matt and his interactions with Jen. A classic team-up, and they skipped past the secret identity thing by having She-Hulk just unmask him during the fight. I'm eager to see how he'll be treated in his new show, the "one for them one for us" implies he's not suffering financially, but how are things between him and Karen and Foggy? And we need him in costume and with his billy club much more than we got in season 3.
    Daredevil has now rejoined the maybe 4 characters in the MCU who have secret identities. Even if they don't always keep them that well .
    I rarely say this these days, but they could've easily done a 22-episode season of She-Hulk and then a new season a few months later like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. did.
    I don't think they have the budget for a 22-episode season of She-Hulk unless she only appears for, like, 1-2 minutes.
    The Accords did have major repercussions, even if they aren't a thing anymore. I can't recall anything specific, but I thought they somehow played into Ms. Marvel. Or was it Spider-Man No Way Home? I guess they need to clear the deck for when new heroes crop up and whatever Valentina is up to so that the Accords don't get in the way.
    Pretty sure they were mentioned in WandaVision.

Maybe this will lead to the rise of costumed vigilante's.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't think it's completely misguided. I mean, they cite so much that their method of success is looking to the comics and staying to them even if they still end up changing or altering a lot of stuff (sometimes not for the better), and obviously they are not beholden to anything or anyone (other than I guess corporate, the general audience tuning in, etc), but I don't think some degree of fidelity is that high an expectation.

But maybe I'm just burned from how many Arrowverse characters ended up in name only because so often it felt like the writers just drew a name out a hat and didn't bother looking deeper into it.
    Except in this case, even in the comics he's the butt of jokes. Sure a few writers have tried to give him a dramatic and serious background over the years, but from the start he was meant to be seen as a loser kind of character that you laughed at. He was purposefully given a lame sounding copycat kind of name and a very silly looking cartoony costume. You were always meant to laugh at his utter ineptitude...and that's what they showcased here.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

That was for sure not the finale I was expecting...at all.
    It was high dose Byrne Sensational SH for sure, even though we had gotten doses it was full blown here. Would've been more enjoyable had it NOT been the finale.
    The real reveal was Bruce/Hulk with his introduction of .........spoilers:
    Skaar
    end of spoilers

I did enjoy the show and look forward to seeing Jen/She-Hulk on the big screen in the not to distant future.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Except in this case, even in the comics he's the butt of jokes. Sure a few writers have tried to give him a dramatic and serious background over the years, but from the start he was meant to be seen as a loser kind of character that you laughed at. He was purposefully given a lame sounding copycat kind of name and a very silly looking cartoony costume. You were always meant to laugh at his utter ineptitude...and that's what they showcased here.
    I think you're amplifying one character trait at the expense of the whole personality.

You are absolutely supposed to laugh at his bumbling attempts to be a superhero. But he's got a big heart and that's as much a factor in his appeal as the joke. He's also got a down to earth family dynamic (well as down to earth as it can be when his father is a former Daredevil villain on the straight and narrow). I would highly recommend SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN 185, which is his best story IMO. As sweet and human as it is hilarious...and it is as funny as the best of the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI run.

That's about all I can say on that, though, or we'll just be arguing in circles. Maybe the story would mean something more than "one-note joke" to you if read, or maybe you already have and it didn't make the same impression. Mileage varies as they say and there's certainly no fault in that.
    Last edited by David Walton; 10-13-2022 at 06:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Wow that was bad...

ABOUT THE FINALE.....
    -- Loved the tv show homage - awesome.
    -- Pretty fun and in keeping with the series in general. Didn't feel like a climax though. I understand subverting the "fake action-packed climax" with the 4th wall break, but last episode hit hard, and then ... she's exonerated and it's business as usual? I wasn't expecting that kind of reset. The whole show was obviously building towards her embracing both sides of herself, but I don't know that the show really gave us that moment. Maybe a little more drama or heart could've balanced out the comedy a bit.
    -- Anyone else get strong Cosima (Orphan Black) vibes from the "college Jen dancing" video?
    -- The K.E.V.I.N. reveal wasn't the most original, since the show is criticizing finales... I loved Jen's thumbs up to camera after her X-Men line though and the "see you in the movies" psych out.
    -- It seemed odd that she physically intimidating the writers then beat up a bunch of guards just doing their job. (I can already imagine people calling her the ultimate Karen demanding to see the manager...) Not very heroic, imo - there was no need to see her beating up guards.
    -- That post-credits scene was weird. She-Hulk breaking the 4th wall is one thing, but having Emil and Wong reference the fact that they're on a tv show? Odd precedent.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-13-2022 at 07:01 AM.

This show has the best writers on it. I really liked that finale. Taking the meta commentary all the way was hilarious! Especially loved K.E.V.I.N lol

Astonishing Member

ABOUT THE FINALE.....

-- That post-credits scene was weird. She-Hulk breaking the 4th wall is one thing, but having Emil and Wong reference the fact that they're on a tv show? Odd precedent.
    That wasn't a fourth wall break. Wong was explaining that he was binge watching a new show. That's why he was late breaking Emil out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    That wasn't a fourth wall break. Wong was explaining that he was binge watching a new show. That's why he was late breaking Emil out.
    Yeah - I rewatched the scene and just realized that it was a double-meaning, where with all the meta commentary, I took as more of the same.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-13-2022 at 07:54 AM.

Astonishing Member

Gotta give them props for doing something different. The meta-commentary was hilarious. Can't wait to see the broader reaction. Bet a few fans won't like the mirror being held up in front of them.