Page 70 of 89 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1324

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Okay, but even if it’s your personal favorite you have to know they are D-list at best and should probably be happy that anyone remembered them at all much less actually used the character in something.
    I dunno, that just rings kind of hollow to me.

"Oh hey, this character you've read about and enjoyed showed up in a show but were treated like a total joke...but at least they got to appear in the MCU!"

I mean, I get the character isn't easy to take seriously, but still.

I had this same opinion in the Arrowverse where they wasted so, so many characters.

It's ridiculous to expect literally every single character to be tested with respect, regardless of their following. Leap Frog isn't an important character. I don't care if he had 5 fans that love him more than anything. That's just not how things work and no writer is going to care like that. He's a joke character.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno, that just rings kind of hollow to me.

"Oh hey, this character you've read about and enjoyed showed up in a show but were treated like a total joke...but at least they got to appear in the MCU!"

I mean, I get the character isn't easy to take seriously, but still.

I had this same opinion in the Arrowverse where they wasted so, so many characters.
    Except he isn't wasted, he's joke gimmick of a character so this fit that.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Does anyone seriously care about Leap Frog?
    I have a fondness for the Eugene/Frogman stories by J M DeMatteis. He appeared in Marvel Team Up, Marvel Fanfare, and Spectacular Spider-Man. His miscellaneous appearances over the years have been fun in seeing a Z level hero interact with Iron Man or Hawkeye.

I understand Eugene in She Hulk is name only. Best case scenario is we get a Frogman collection out of this.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm confused, Frog Man always been an absolute joke of a character so they got that dead on, probably one of the most comics accurate adaptions of all time.
    There's a lot more to Frog-Man than a one-note joke though.

He's the big-hearted son of a reformed working-class criminal who's trying to atone for his father's misdeeds.

Making him a rich entitled jackass with only the most superficial trappings obviously isn't going to satisfy fans of the character, and why should it?

If that's really what they wanted to go with, they could have used a different name for the guy in the suit. Don't call him Eugene, for crying out loud! Just allude to the fact that maybe there was another Leap-Frog running around at some point and open the possibility for Eugene to become Frog-Man.

Have you ever read SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN 185? He's often the butt of jokes, but there's a lot more to him than that. The kid's got heart!

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    There's a lot more to Frog-Man than a one-note joke though.

He's the big-hearted son of a reformed working-class criminal who's trying to atone for his father's misdeeds.

Making him a rich entitled jackass with only the most superficial trappings obviously isn't going to satisfy fans of the character, and why should it?

If that's really what they wanted to go with, they could have used a different name for the guy in the suit. Don't call him Eugene, for crying out loud! Just allude to the fact that maybe there was another Leap-Frog running around at some point and open the possibility for Eugene to become Frog-Man.
    I'm not trying to be a dick, but seriously you'd have trouble filling a booth at Denny's with the Frog-Man Fan Club.

So I can see where Marvel wouldn't be worrying about offending fans with getting his characterization wrong.

If you love Leap-Frog let Marvel know! Make memes and push him on social media etc. - if they decide to bring him back because he gains popularity they'll likely make him more sympathetic next time. He's certainly not irredeemable. Maybe they'll spin him off with others to form a Great Lakes Avengers or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I'm not trying to be a dick, but seriously you'd have trouble filling a booth at Denny's with the Frog-Man Fan Club.

So I can see where Marvel wouldn't be worrying about offending fans with getting his characterization wrong.
    Well I'm not arguing that Marvel should be "worried" in the sense that Frog-Man fans are going to damage their image. I'm just saying that it's not really ok to badly butcher a character even if their fanbase is relatively small.

Frog-Man should actually be easier to get right because there's not as many competing visions across the board. His characterization has been fairly consistent.

I do think there's something special about Frog-Man and an accurate adaptation could make for a great show, animated or live-action.

Well I'm not arguing that Marvel should be "worried" in the sense that Frog-Man fans are going to damage their image. I'm just saying that it's not really ok to badly butcher a character even if their fanbase is relatively small.
    All adaptations are Elseworlds. Would you consider it a "butchering" of any character if it happened in a "What If..?" comic? It's another universe, despite how much we as fans want to see direct adaptations of the source material. Imo, adapting from comic book to live action, we're lucky any time a character is close to the source material. One should never expect it to happen, as though it's supposed to be a straight translation - that's just setting yourself up for disappointment. You just cross your fingers and hope they keep the stuff you like about that character.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-12-2022 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    All adaptations are Elseworlds. Would you consider it a "butchering" of any character if it happened in a "What If..?" comic? It's another universe, despite how much we as fans want to see direct adaptations of the source material. Imo, adapting from comic book to live action, we're lucky any time a character is close to the source material. One should never expect it to happen, as though it's supposed to be a straight translation - that's just setting yourself up for disappointed. You just cross your fingers and hope they keep the stuff you like about that character.
    That strikes me as a bit of an excuse for sloppiness. Elseworlds and What If? are built on the premise that fans are already familiar with the character and their history which makes the divergence work by comparison.

When adapting characters into a film universe with a broader audience, the idea should be to translate as accurately as possible.

Tony Star being rich and arrogant and having a mid-life crisis about the best use of his tech is integral to the character. You can't say it would be the same guy if the MCU had him as a working class inventor who always thought about the consequences of his actions.

When adapting characters into a film universe with a broader audience, the idea should be to translate as accurately as possible.
    That's your idea, but the people adapting the thing have their own ideas - as is their prerogative. Marvel was smart enough to keep the most important things about Iron Man, but they jettisoned a bunch of stuff and added stuff - it wasn't a direct translation. It just happened to have enough of the things you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That's your idea, but the people adapting the thing have their own ideas - as is their prerogative. Marvel was smart enough to keep the most important things about Iron Man, but they jettisoned a bunch of stuff and added stuff - it wasn't a direct translation. It just happened to have enough of the things you wanted.
    Yeah, but I think it's understandable from the perspective of fans of the character to want/expect more.
    Obviously that's how they played him, I just don't think that was the only way to do it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That strikes me as a bit of an excuse for sloppiness. Elseworlds and What If? are built on the premise that fans are already familiar with the character and their history which makes the divergence work by comparison.

Tony Star being rich and arrogant and having a mid-life crisis about the best use of his tech is integral to the character. You can't say it would be the same guy if the MCU had him as a working class inventor who always thought about the consequences of his actions.
    Except Leap Frog/Frogman isn't Iron Man. I get it, you're a fan...but he's a gimmick character and he was never going to get the kind of "respect" a leading character would get. Some characters as time goes on get made the butt of jokes, and Frogman is just one of those kinds of characters and he's not alone.

You're never going to see the likes of Kite-Man, Stilt-Man, Egg-Fu, Arm-Fall-Off Boy get taken seriously either...and Frogman is definitely on that level.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Yeah, when comedy series and selecting villains, Marvel has to pick

1: Characters they don't want to use later.

2: Characters with small fanbases thus the least to offended.

Frogman fits the bill.

Also, he was used for comedic purpose on the 00's Fantastic Four animated series during the tryouts to fill Ben's spot in the episode the cure which Jen won the spot. Thought since it involved both Froggy and She-Hulk I'd mention it.