Page 53 of 89 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Maybe he is more than a super suit designer?

For me, it a simple plot device to get Jen something to wear other than a business suit or off the rack spandex. I'm looking forward to the new outfit.
    Yeah, I get it. It's not a big deal, but for me that's the difference between organically taking advantage of the interconnected MCU and something being contrived simply because they needed a plot device. When this show does the former is when this show is at its best and most entertaining to me.

"I like to walk home alone at night with headphones on while not being afraid."

The first time i've actually watched this show and been like "Woah! That's so true"
    * YNWA * - * JF97 *

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't think it's "extra." Marvel has spent many years building this universe and the MCU isn't "The Boys" or "The Incredibles" or "My Hero Academia" where superhumans are a dime a dozen. If Marvel wanted to show that there's been a huge rise in superhumans lately, great - then show that. Otherwise, the existence of a "super suit designer" who's as busy as this one (who's also a boring cliche fashion designer character, imo) doesn't make sense in this world. Marvel has made bank on mining the concept of a shared universe, which works well when they use it on this show, but for me this doesn't hold up.
    They are showing that. This show is expanding the superhuman world of the MCU. The law firm she works for has a superhuman law division. They created a whole division just to deal with superhumans.

So far we have seen a light elf from New Asgard, Titania, The Wrecking Crew and from trailers we know more are coming like the frog guy. The entire premise of this show is that superhumans are starting to pop up all over the place.

Having a fashion designer who does work for superhuman clients doesn’t seem any weirder than Titania who is a superhuman influencer.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Maybe he is more than a super suit designer?

For me, it a simple plot device to get Jen something to wear other than a business suit or off the rack spandex. I'm looking forward to the new outfit.
    Think it's sort of a variation on the basic purple/white designs she has in the comics and has been seen in some merchandise and one or two of the trailers.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I thought it was the weakest episode so far because there wasn’t much to it. In the A story, Titania isn’t really getting her moment to shine. The B story could’ve been funny but Jen dragged it down. Incredibles really nailed the idea of a designer for superheroes. They couldn’t copy that but I agree with those who say that they went for an expected cliche, much like the online dates. It might have been funnier or at least more interesting to do someone you’d never expect to be a designer, like a nerdy engineer (it is superhero gear) or something. I don’t know, it ended and I was, like, that’s it?

Mighty Member

Wonder what Titania's going to do next to get under Jen's skin?

So, the hero shoe line at the end had shoes from big name heroes in the mcu like iron man, captain america, deadpool, the thing and cyclops!

Deadpool got a nod in she-hulk after all!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 09-15-2022 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    They are showing that. This show is expanding the superhuman world of the MCU. The law firm she works for has a superhuman law division. They created a whole division just to deal with superhumans.

So far we have seen a light elf from New Asgard, Titania, The Wrecking Crew and from trailers we know more are coming like the frog guy. The entire premise of this show is that superhumans are starting to pop up all over the place.

Having a fashion designer who does work for superhuman clients doesn’t seem any weirder than Titania who is a superhuman influencer.
    Yeah, that. Really, from all of the D+ Marvel shows, the whole time they have been used to further the world-building and plotlines/character development that was previously established. From evolving Wanda to her pre-villain stage to putting Sam in his actual Cap suit -- to the existence at all of Kate Bishop and Kamala Khan, and all of the various super-powered antagonists in all of these shows, they have been establishing the whole time that there has been this proliferation of "super" people and stuff.

I mean one, the tone of this show is obviously meant to be more humorous than real-life-drama serious, so I'm not personally motivated to be super watchful for how realistic the plotlines may be, but two, as HollowSage points out, it seems obvious that part of the point of how She-Hulk's show is meant to further evolve the MCU, is telling us their shared world is becoming such that super powers and super-powered people are not super rare -- thus, the elf and her shenanigans, Wrecking Crew, and Titania being a "super powered influencer". I mean, if you rolled back the MCU to any of the movies canon-wise, how would a super powered influencer make sense?

As far as it goes, I didn't find the character particularly inspired or funny either myself, but given that we know they there are many more shows coming, I can't see that it can hurt to establish at least that there's such a thing as someone specializing in suits for supers, at this point. I mean, there would be eventually. And having set this guy up, you can potentially have people (in future shows) get a cool "super" look with a quick aside, rather than needing to take up a whole storyline to explain it.

... well, like I suppose if they want to start the new Daredevil show with him in a new suit. No explanation needed, now.
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 09-15-2022 at 06:45 PM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

This episode was mid. Outside of pug being a sneaker head I wasn't invested in what happened in this episode.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    ***SPOILERS FOR EP 5***

-- I can't imagine that clothing designer character to be real. Who do they design for? (aside from DD) I know people in the MCU are used to superheroes etc, but you can't just introduce a "fashion designer for supes" who supposedly has been around awhile when Marvel has made it clear which heroes exist and it's not that many. (and of the ones that do, we know where most of their outfits came from)
    I don't think Marvel has made that clear at all. In fact, I think they've very, very strongly suggested exactly the opposite. Even back all the way in Phase 2, when they revealed that Ant-Man had been a thing since the 60's. Or Carol Danvers, who predates Iron Man by decades even though she'd never been mentioned prior. But then you have Moon Knight. There have clearly been Moon Knights running around for a LOOOONG time, even before Steven. Probably the thousands of years since Khonshu was a big deal. Or how about during Civil War, when Tony goes and grabs what is basically a random kid he found on Youtube? The entire concept of the Eternals banks on the idea of hidden heroes in our midst the whole time.

And it isn't just heroes, either. Wenwu was running around doing powered things for centuries. It even turns out we've heard about him before, we just didn't know it! (Via the Mandarin connection, in case that wasn't clear.)

New heroes and bad guys have been popping out of the woodwork almost from the beginning, and they are not always new to the party when we meet them. Hell, just in the context of this episode you have the DD teaser. Regardless of the Netflix canonicity debate, dude has clearly been doing DD things for at least a while at this point. He's never been mentioned, by anybody, anywhere, elsewise in the MCU. But the audience will be asked to accept that he's been doing hero stuff even if you've never watched the Netflix show.

I kind of think that's the whole point. The MCU is full of heroes and villians we just haven't seen or heard from yet. And this was kind of a clever way to play with that. There is this whole kind of under-society happening in this world and more and more of it bubbles to the surface all the time.

Unglaublich!

This series really isn't for me at all. I get that it's first and foremost a comedy but, for me, it's one that isn't actually funny. Most of the characters grate on me so far (looking at you, Madisynn and Titania) and I'm really struggling to stick with it.

The VFX... I've finally figured out what looks wrong to my eyes: it's when Jen walks. It looks completely unnatural, like she's out of step with the rest of the scene. It reminds me of the gliding, swaying motion that the Kiminoans (?) in Attack Of The Clones had when they were walking alongside Ewan McGregor when he goes to check out the clone army, which looked fairly unnatural by (presumably) design, but it just looks so odd here! Having recently rewatched Game Of Thrones in full, the dragons on that are more believable and realistic than She-Hulk is.

I'm not saying it's an appalling show or anything like that; I'm just saying I'm definitely not its target audience.

It's funny to me watching MCU Titania and thinking that comic Titania would probably hate her guts and want to beat her up. Also funnily enough the character is being portrayed as a parody of the Kardashians who the actress has publically criticized.

Still no explanation on how she got her powers...

I guess a crazy female influencer is fairly topical as far as antagonists go, even if it makes Titania come off as more shallow and non-threatening by comparison. Not really what you'd expect from an archenemy. Even Jen seems to think of her as less of a nemesis and more of an annoyance, although in the comics I don't think the enmity was ever as personal for Jen as it was for Titania, so that's matching up. And we'll probably get more Titania over time.

I saw someone online post the real issue with the Shulkie CG. At night or with darker lighting it comes off more naturally than it does in the daylight or in the office, which most of this episode was set in so the CG quality was...less than stellar looking this week.

Mallory Brook finally takes the stage and is ready to go to court fabulously while also dishing out some harsh truths to Jen, finally establishing their comic dynamic of Mallory being dismissive and condescending (yet professional) towards Jen but them begrudgingly growing on each other despite that.

Nikki may have been kind of racist there, but she's still better at speaking Chinese than Arthur Harrow was at speaking Mandarin.

Jen felt surprisingly passive and reactive in this episode, even if she did figure out how to resolve her own case, but I'm ready for a more sassy and confident She-Hulk.

Apparently there is a much bigger need for Superhero costumes in the MCU than I expected considering all the main heroes have in-universe explanations for their costumes. I wonder how many other heroes exist in the MCU now and how much of that we'll actually see in this series.

This episode's sub-plot revolving around Jen's clothes made me realize how sad it is that Janet Van Dyne isn't the MCU's leading fashion designer/Superhero costumer like she is in the comics. No offense to Luke, but who wouldn't want to get outfits from Michelle Pfeiffer?

Apparently this Luke guy is actually from the comics, an old Dakota North comic in fact, so that was neat. I was actually kind of disappointed they didn't have any Easter Egg costumes hanging around there (other than the main one). Like, throw in a Paladin costume or Forbush Man or something at least...

That thing of parading Jens' lovers or dates as witnesses actually happened in the comics, with Mallory as lead counsel as well, although ironically in that instance it was used to discredit her during the trial of the Leader instead of helping her win the case like it did here. Still super embarrassing either way.

I'm kind of curious where they're going with Jens' character development. I thought this episode would be her really taking hold of the She-Hulk name and owning up to it, but it still feels like she only fought for it begrudgingly and not because she likes it now. And it seems like Jen is realizing that people want She-Hulk and not Jen, but instead of seeing that as a reason to be She-Hulk more, it's just treated as the men not being worth her time. I'm actually surprised she wasn't transformed to have drinks with Mallory when she knows she doesn't get drunk as She-Hulk, but maybe she didn't want the attention.

So Luke is behind the new Daredevil suit...to be honest it's hard for me to picture him and Matt in the same scene together, but I'm kind of morbidly curious whether the yellow was his idea or Matt's.

All of Pug's shoes...all the references...I'm not sure I want to make sense of it.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post

That's some of the stuff that kinda bothers me about the MCU, everything is known and there's no mystery or tension. Killer/Zombie/Pirate/Robot/Ninja shows up and people are already use to it. I feel like the transition to acceptance was too short and to casual.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    That's some of the stuff that kinda bothers me about the MCU, everything is known and there's no mystery or tension. Killer/Zombie/Pirate/Robot/Ninja shows up and people are already use to it. I feel like the transition to acceptance was too short and to casual.
    When the public have been subjected alien invasions, killer robots, half the universe disappearing before their eyes. It won't be a stretch to believe any of the other stuff exists. It would be annoying if there was any denial

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    It's been over a decade in real time and 15+ years in the MCU timeline. How long would you expect it to take to accept a new status quo?