Page 55 of 89 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

I feel like they're going to need something to separate the X-Men from the other heroes in the MCU and embracing their Mutandom, and what that means in the setting, will probably be one of them.

Granted I say that now and the MCU has never really focused on their heroes being unpopular or misunderstood (looking at how they developed Hulk or handled Spider-Man up to NWH).

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    But why would they when the X-Men's premise has worked in the comics for decades where they share a world with heroes like the Avengers and the FF. It's no more far-fetched in the MU than it would be in the MCU.

It's one thing for people to become accustomed to the occasional oddity or superhero, but it's another when they start self-identifying as their own culture. Throw in a Magneto describing themselves as a "superior race" and you can see how that would create widescale fear and anger. We've barely scratched the surface of how people were traumatized by the blip. I doubt everyone is just cool with all the powered people running around. (it's like how we saw that couple try to kill Jessica Jones because of the NYC invasion - it wouldn't be surprising to know that angry people are around, we just haven't seen them yet)
    Well, look at the way the Flag Smashers were handled in Falcon and Winter Soldier. They had the same powers as the good guys. But they were controversial because of what they were doing with the powers, basically fighting for social justice. This was a polarizing thing that put them directly in the sights of the government and many others. I could see the X-Men follow the same kind of path, especially if superhero registration becomes more of a thing (indications are that is a possible direction for the MCU).
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

What they've established so far on She-Hulk would really make "mutants being hated and feared" a pretty easy next step in their world. You already have that there are more and more people with powers showing up, we've already had the Sokovia Accords, and we know that law/government is having to deal with the existence of not just the Avengers, but all the randomly occurring others.

You can establish that part of that proliferation is some people randomly having a mutant gene activated ... well, just before or after you have one of those Matt Malloy type, "manifesting/using my powers right out of the box killed an entire town around me" type tragedies, caused by a mutant. (I wouldn't actually use Malloy, because that's a pretty deep dive and kind of a weird story, but more someone who does not stick around as the primary threat for the world, after this accident.) But yeah, I think that gives you the "hated and feared" thing, without even having introduced Magneto or Xavier or any of the actual mutant canon stuff.

There undoubtedly are many still upset about the snap/blip, now add in that it doesn't take a Thanos, it could just be an awkward and bullied 13 year old who accidentally finds out that when they wish people would die, it really just happens. If you live in a world like that, it's not hard to imagine being on board for a Mutant Registration Act.

"You know, not saying round them up or anything, but people have a right to know if there is one living right down the street or even right next door. And you know, maybe it wouldn't hurt to mandate some kind of screening or training or something ... you know, just in case your next door neighbor's kid is about to become the Death Wisher ... can we try to make sure they know how to use their powers? Wait, what if your neighbor has mind control powers? Would it be a bad thing if there was something to protect you from them?"

Now, if you want, you can have someone creating a secret school to train and protect mutants, or -- well, whatever a Magneto-ish response to all that would be. Not that I'd be in favor of starting with full-out origin story for MCU X-Men ... just saying, I really don't see how it would be hard to create that particular kind of dynamic for mutants in this world. The problem with mutants being that it's not just about superheroes or even supervillains, but asking people to be okay with random people around them being "homo superior" and doing stuff the vast majority of people can't. Jealousy and distrust developing in some parts of the population seem kind of inevitable, under such a circumstance.

(Oh yeah, this isn't me "taking the show too seriously" or whatever it was. I enjoy the show, I enjoy the MCU, so this is a fun topic for me. Why else would anyone bother?)
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 09-21-2022 at 04:43 PM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well, look at the way the Flag Smashers were handled in Falcon and Winter Soldier. They had the same powers as the good guys. But they were controversial because of what they were doing with the powers, basically fighting for social justice. This was a polarizing thing that put them directly in the sights of the government and many others. I could see the X-Men follow the same kind of path, especially if superhero registration becomes more of a thing (indications are that is a possible direction for the MCU).
    Yes, and remember the leader of the Flag Smashers basically had to begun killing people, because otherwise they wouldn't even be villains. Just have the X-men not do that. Also Xavier having mind control powers (as well as some other team members) will scare a lot of people.

The easiest modern analogy would be if in the MCU, mutants = SJWs then you can imagine how there'd be a huge part of the population hating them.

(the irony would be the reactions of some skewering it by saying "You're ruining the X-Men by making it political!!")
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-21-2022 at 04:50 PM.

Incredible Member

The easiest modern analogy would be if in the MCU, mutants = SJWs then you can imagine how there'd be a huge part of the population hating them.

(the irony would be the reactions of some skewering it by saying "You're ruining the X-Men by making it political!!")
    Aren’t all superheroes Social Justice Warriors? I always found it odd how someone could be a fan of Superman or Captain America and yet use SJW as a negative term.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like they're going to need something to separate the X-Men from the other heroes in the MCU and embracing their Mutandom, and what that means in the setting, will probably be one of them.

Granted I say that now and the MCU has never really focused on their heroes being unpopular or misunderstood (looking at how they developed Hulk or handled Spider-Man up to NWH).
    I could see the Accords being the initial friction point. People who don't think they should be treated as weapons just for being born, and others seeing their existence as threatening if they won't conform.

Boisterously Confused

Gee, thanks for the condescending reprimand. You know this is a comic book website message board right? You really want to be Mr "you're taking this too seriously" on a fan forum? It's also just for fun - if you don't want to engage with it, just ignore it. You don't have to play, but don't piss in other people's punch.
    Contrary and even snarky opinions are frequently the norm about here. If I genuinely meant to be condescending and deliver reprimands, I could do way than that.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Aren’t all superheroes Social Justice Warriors? I always found it odd how someone could be a fan of Superman or Captain America and yet use SJW as a negative term.
    Not really- most superheroes fight to protect the status quo, though that changes a lot from story to story or writer to writer.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Not really- most superheroes fight to protect the status quo, though that changes a lot from story to story or writer to writer.
    This is true. It didn't start that way, but the script was well and truly flipped by 1941. Paraphrasing, Chaykin once wrote that All-Star Comics should have introduced the Order Society of America

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I guess that depends on what one defines as social justice. I’ve read a lot of superhero stories and I can’t imagine any of them being against social justice unless someone was trying to achieve it through violence. Superman wouldn’t fight against MLK jr.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Contrary and even snarky opinions are frequently the norm about here. If I genuinely meant to be condescending and deliver reprimands, I could do way than that.
    Contrary opinions are fine when you have something to contribute other than simply berating others for their thoughts. Snarky opinions about the material is one thing - bitchy opinions other people's posts where you go out of your way to quote them seems to me to be against the rules of the forum, but the mods somehow overlooked it - maybe I'm wrong. Doesn't make it any less of a shitty thing to do, imo. I guess you can be condescending without even trying - good for you, buddy! (I guess you can "do way than that" - whatever that means)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-22-2022 at 01:56 AM.

Re: She-Hulk Ep 6
    -- Sadly, this show has just been going downhill for me since Ep 3. (the Abomination ep) This would've been an okay episode of a show if it were a 22 episode season, but with Marvel having these short seasons, I don't see the point of this. Jen acknowledges this as a side story, but when your season is this short, you can't afford to have a fluffy diversion episode. The Titania fight could've been noteworthy, and their interaction as people could've been interesting, but it didn't come across as meaning anything, just as the lawsuit over her name last ep didn't have any emotional weight. I get that this show is a comedy, but good comedies have heart, and I don't see it here.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-22-2022 at 02:05 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

-- Sadly, this show has just been going downhill for me since Ep 3. (the Abomination ep) This would've been an okay episode of a show if it were a 22 episode season, but with Marvel having these short seasons, I don't see the point of this. Jen acknowledges this as a side story, but when your season is this short, you can't afford to have a fluffy diversion episode. The Titania fight could've been noteworthy, and their interaction as people could've been interesting, but it didn't come across as meaning anything, just as the lawsuit over her name last ep didn't have any emotional weight. I get that this show is a comedy, but good comedies have heart, and I don't see it here.
    They can have a fluffy diversion episode because this series doesn't have an ongoing plot. This show had an episodic feel from the jump. The feud with Titania is the only going story this show has.

Are we getting MODOK? Intelligencia was his organization during Loeb's Hulk run. They were responsible for the creation of Red Hulk and Red She-Hulk. It got turned into a subreddit.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    I guess that depends on what one defines as social justice. I’ve read a lot of superhero stories and I can’t imagine any of them being against social justice unless someone was trying to achieve it through violence. Superman wouldn’t fight against MLK jr.
    Of course, but there's a difference between "not being opposed to people trying to changing some things peacefully", which, you know, not even all conservatives would be, and "be a social justice warrior". Superman clearly wouldn't fight against MLK but would he really fight for equality using his considerable powers and social status? It's something else.

Plus, you know, violence, while unpleasant, it's sometimes an inevitable course in oppressive regimes. Won't beat the Nazis with pacifism.

I agree. And unfortunately, I think writers knew this show would be a massive troll target but rather than build an excellent story, decided to use that as a preemptive measure against criticisms, many of whom are justified. I didn't expect a masterpiece or anything, but I honestly laughed more in probably every other MCU show.