Page 26 of 89 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I watched episode 1 and I liked it. I don't buy into the explanation given for Jen controlling her anger better. Jen not having anger issues would have worked better than her job and catcalling.

I hope the series eventually explains the spaceship and Titania bursting into the court. Right now both things are completely random.

I would like to see more of Jen's stay in Mexico with Bruce. There were still some things I feel could have been fleshed out there.

Unglaublich!

Having watched the first episode, I'm undecided on this one at the moment.

Some (not all) of the CGI took me right out of things. The very obviously CGI binder was probably the worst example, but there were others where it felt quite a bit like watching a computer game.

And I know that She-Hulk has always been a more comedic property than a lot of Marvel's stuff but it's starting to feel like every single MCU character has to be a wisecracker most of the time now. And that, for me at least, is getting a little wearing. It works for She-Hulk, especially if you're familiar with the source material, so I can absolutely understand why they've gone this route but, if the vast majority of the preceding characters weren't cracking jokes all the time, it wouldn't feel so formulaic here. For me, at least.

I love the MCU and I have done since Iron Man came out in 2008 but I'm starting to wish they'd mix things up a bit. Strange 2 had waaaay too much comedy in it for my liking; it should have almost been a straight up horror film. Love & Thunder should've been much darker than it was, given the Gorr storyline and Jane's cancer. But they were both leaning massively on the comedy aspects and, for me, they just didn't work at all.

I know this is more a gripe with the MCU as a whole rather than a gripe with She-Hulk, but everything's beginning to feel a bit "one size fits all." It has me concerned for what will happen when they get around to the X-Men....

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I watched episode 1 and I liked it. I don't buy into the explanation given for Jen controlling her anger better. Jen not having anger issues would have worked better than her job and catcalling.
    Considering your profile pic, it's not surprising that explanation doesn't resonate with you. I've seen women completely identify with that explanation though - to them that's truth, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Considering your profile pic, it's not surprising that explanation doesn't resonate with you. I've seen women completely identify with that explanation though - to them that's truth, fwiw.
    Having seen catcalling first hand multiple times on job it always looked to be mild annoyance at best. The women have no issues being rude and I can't blame them half the time. I haven't seen any incidents where it got potentially dangerous.

I can see the job being a better explanation. It just needs to be elaborated on.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Having seen catcalling first hand multiple times on job it always looked to be mild annoyance at best. The women have no issues being rude and I can't blame them half the time. I haven't seen any incidents where it got potentially dangerous.

I can see the job being a better explanation. It just needs to be elaborated on.
    It gets potentially dangerous all the time...this isn't subjective, it's a well known objective fact.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    They made Titania an even bigger joke than in the comics, way to go.
    I assume she gets a power upgrade. I don't think they'd introduce her this early, have her get beaten so quickly, when she's advertised as a major character without they're being more plans for her.

It might be why she's not wearing any purple.

Astonishing Member

Question: After you have seen catcalls in the past, did you ever ask the person catcalled how they felt?

Seeing something happen to someone else and personally experiencing it are two very different things. Just because you didn't think there was anything to be worried about does not mean that applies to all women everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Now if that's an intro to the Skaar storyline that would be interesting. Could be the topic of the next Hulk movie if there is one.
    I'm not sure if I trust Marvel to do Planet Hulks' story justice with how they handled it in Ragnarok.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Question: After you have seen catcalls in the past, did you ever ask the person catcalled how they felt?

Seeing something happen to someone else and personally experiencing it are two very different things. Just because you didn't think there was anything to be worried about does not mean that applies to all women everywhere.
    No. I keep to myself.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I enjoyed it. I'm glad they gave her her powers, quickly explained it, and got all the setup out of the way. If I'm going to buy into the premise of a big green woman, I don't need any more science mumbo jumbo than they provided. And if I wasn't going to buy into the premise, no amount would ever be satisfactory. It was cool to spend more time with Bruce and I liked how they acknowledged his unique ... issues without dwelling on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I assume she gets a power upgrade. I don't think they'd introduce her this early, have her get beaten so quickly, when she's advertised as a major character without they're being more plans for her.
    I agree that she'll be a challenge in some way for She-Hulk as the series moves forward.

Astonishing Member

No. I keep to myself.
    Have you ever considered that your take on catcalling might be different from someone who actually experiences it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Have you ever considered that your take on catcalling might be different from someone who actually experiences it?
    Of course but I don't see how dealing with catcalling somehow makes her better at dealing with her anger. Especially given how this episode showed that was not the case. She would have killed those guys if Bruce didn't tackle her.

Extraordinary Member

Of course but I don't see how dealing with catcalling somehow makes her better at dealing with her anger.
    I mean, try dealing with it on the reg (daily/weekly) and knowing that even if you did want to tell them off, you'd be risking assault (sexual or otherwise). Many women I know have to measure these risks often, so it's hardly surprising that they'd be better and dealing with their anger.

As Jen said: "fear and anger are pretty much baseline for any woman just existing."
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Of course but I don't see how dealing with catcalling somehow makes her better at dealing with her anger. Especially given how this episode showed that was not the case. She would have killed those guys if Bruce didn't tackle her.
    Perhaps you should ask someone who has dealt with catcalling all their life. You might be surprised that your take on the situation does not match theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I enjoyed it. I'm glad they gave her her powers, quickly explained it, and got all the setup out of the way. If I'm going to buy into the premise of a big green woman, I don't need any more science mumbo jumbo than they provided. And if I wasn't going to buy into the premise, no amount would ever be satisfactory. It was cool to spend more time with Bruce and I liked how they acknowledged his unique ... issues without dwelling on them.
    I only wish they'd dwelled on it because Jen not having a split-personality like Bruce did or the fact that they're genetically compatible with Gamma Radiation seems tailor made to be explored...although I'm not sure how plot-driven this show will be.
    I agree that she'll be a challenge in some way for She-Hulk as the series moves forward.
    I wonder if she'll find a way to super-charge herself with Hulk blood.