Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Again, it's not one or the other!!

Have these MCU movies convinced you there are only two ways to do this? Are you seriously acting like pratical and digital effects have never been used simultaneously? Do you think there are no characters in all of media that have been made taller and more muscular without being turned completely animated?

Please look beyond how these shows are just entertainment for you
    Move those goalposts farther.

You specifically said "Just paint her green!"

Please look beyond your own self-righteous nonsense.

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Move those goalposts farther.

You specifically said "Just paint her green!"

Please look beyond your own self-righteous nonsense.
    Self righteous because I care about art and artists getting a fair shot and fair compensation? What is the correlation?

For a start, yes, just paint her green. Never said it ended there, but it would look way better than what we have now.

What I'm trying to say is the "movie making factory" is doing a disservice to a great character, primarily out of greed.

Let's wait and see how the actual show turns out before complaining about the CGI effects; frequently, trailers don't even use fully rendered graphics anyways.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Let's wait and see how the actual show turns out before complaining about the CGI effects; frequently, trailers don't even use fully rendered graphics anyways.
    Not just complaining about the effects themselves -- moreso the darker reason they went that route to begin with

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Not just complaining about the effects themselves -- moreso the darker reason they went that route to begin with
    They went with CGI because hiring a female body builder and painting her green wouldn't adequately bring the character to life. The Hulk is a separate entity from Bruce Banner, and if you're looking to bring the Savage Hulk to the screen you don't really need an articulate actor for the role so you can have the Hulk physically be a different actor than Banner and it isn't an issue...but She-Hulk is differnt, She-Hulk is still Jenn, you're supposed to be able to still recognize that it's the same person just bigger and greener which means that it can't be some body builder because you need an actress capable of nuance.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member

Darker reasons? You are making an unfounded assumption and treating it as fact. The Hulk is cgi and has been for over a decade. So why wouldn’t they try that with She Hulk? There doesn’t have to be some nefarious reason behind it.

They made a choice. One they think works best for the character and the story they want to tell. They still use plenty of practical effects and makeup artists where it makes sense. However even if they didn’t it’s not like they are under some obligation to do so. If cgi gets good enough and cheap enough to use exclusively that would be a valid decision.

Not convinced, because they could have easily done that with minimal digital effects and makeup, and the MCU has done this constantly, made digital creations out of things that could have been practical, but aren't because they can do it for far cheaper with folks who aren't part of unions.
    I'm not so sure if only because of the kind of "look" they want to capture with her and the kind of feats/movement she's going to be doing.

What darker reasons? Hulks have been CGI characters from day one in the movies.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Retired

What darker reasons?
    Scroll back. He's already explained that in previous posts.

Extraordinary Member

Wasn’t there a report that they slimmed her down from the original design on orders from above?

I’ve been thinking that it’s possible her design is more off putting than desired if they had a “perfected” design and then had to modify it rather than create one from the ground up.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

While I understand why they chose CGI, it does take away from the character to do that, in my opinion. A big part of the character's being is her sex appeal, and that just becomes at best an awkward thing with an all CGI character. At worst it will be laughable.

I will still watch it, but getting strong vibes that this could end up being funny for the wrong reasons.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    While I understand why they chose CGI, it does take away from the character to do that, in my opinion. A big part of the character's being is her sex appeal, and that just becomes at best an awkward thing with an all CGI character. At worst it will be laughable.

I will still watch it, but getting strong vibes that this could end up being funny for the wrong reasons.
    I mean, I don't think her being CGI precludes her from being sexy unless that takes people out of it but I guess that might be a your mileage might vary thing.

I am just really hoping we see more of Matt Murdock in the MCU starting with this show. I hope the rumors are true.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I'm always a bit amazed by people who excuse a bad trailer and urge the viewer to wait and watch the movie/show before deciding.

A trailer is a commercial. It's whole point is to sell you on something by putting the best aspects of the show/movie on view (or at least hinting at them). If, instead, it made the viewer think a major aspect of the show/movie isn't put together well it failed and there's no valid reason to expect the viewer to tune in.

I honestly can't think of any other industry that expects its consumers to purchase and try a product despite bad marketing. You don't see, for example, Ford or GM putting out a commercial where the wheels fall off or the rear gas tank catches fire on the theory that drivers should "wait and see" how the car drives after buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    I honestly can't think of any other industry that expects its consumers to purchase and try a product despite bad marketing. You don't see, for example, Ford or GM putting out a commercial where the wheels fall off or the rear gas tank catches fire on the theory that drivers should "wait and see" how the car drives after buying one.
    If that's not a false equivalency, then there is no such thing. There is a big difference between waiting and seeing on a car where the wheels fall off and an hour long show on a subscription service you probably already have. Entertainment is the definition of a low stakes endeavor.

I get what you're trying to say and I am in no way defending the less than great trailer. In fact, I agree with you, but the metaphor is clumsy.