Page 15 of 89 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I think even if they got a live person to play Shulkie, there'd still have to be some cgi involved for Jen. I really don't see in today's world the showrunners casting an entirely different person for her regular form. They'd probably do something similar to what they did with Cap before he got the formula in the first Cap movie and in that one flashback in Winter Soldier. They'd cast someone with a significantly smaller frame and just cgi the actress who plays She-Hulk onto the body except not green.

Either way there'd be cgi. I guess it's just up to our imagination as to which one would be worse.
    I could see using live-action and c.g.i for the action.jumping even coloring etc. Can't see how live-action would look worse than what's here tho.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I was thinking maybe they'd use something similar to 'shrinking' Chris Evans in First Avenger, but the other way around....guess not.
    I was listening to a podcast earlier the other day and the hosts could not get over how weird that looked.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Oh really? I didn't know that. I still think Disney hasn't made any Hulk movies lately because they have to divvy up box office profits with Universal. I just want Marvel Studios to fix the damage that was done to Banner by the Russos.
    Disney have been happy to share profits before in the MCU (Spider-Man). I think unfortunately it’s Universal that are being “difficult” - I hear they can basically just veto any attempts at a solo movie/show based on Bruce Banner’s Hulk - Mark Ruffalo has blamed Universal for it in the past.

As with Hulk in the comics, I’m sure we’ll have him revert back to a savage hulk eventually

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe some people wanted to harken back to the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno era .
    Do people really want to see the little green slippers again? LOL

There is something about this image. I will say that, though:

Last edited by phonogram12; 05-19-2022 at 02:34 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Going for a live-action actress to play she-hulk probably would have made more sense(Jade Cargill). Way easier to pull off with budget constraints. But I do think ppl are over-reacting to the bad c.g.i here.
    This is a show with a $200 million budget for 6 episodes. Marvel has had better CG on a network TV budget. There is no excuse for how bad she looks unless they've only just started work on the digital effects.

Again, not about realism, it's about how the digital effects interact with the real life environments.

It's especially disappointing when you consider just how much CG goes into Marvel's films and shows. They have created entire rooms with greenscreen. The quantum realm suits from Endgame were completely digital. It's not an indictment of the quality of the whole series but just a bummer that a character who is so iconic looks so bad

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    This is a show with a $200 million budget for 6 episodes. Marvel has had better CG on a network TV budget. There is no excuse for how bad she looks unless they've only just started work on the digital effects.

Again, not about realism, it's about how the digital effects interact with the real life environments.

It's especially disappointing when you consider just how much CG goes into Marvel's films and shows. They have created entire rooms with greenscreen. The quantum realm suits from Endgame were completely digital. It's not an indictment of the quality of the whole series but just a bummer that a character who is so iconic looks so bad
    200 mil? WHAT?! Wow I didn't know that. Okay ppl aren't over-reacting DAMN...Somebody took a lil off the top. Late on them private jet payments lol.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    200 mil? WHAT?! Wow I didn't know that. Okay ppl aren't over-reacting DAMN...Somebody took a lil off the top. Late on them private jet payments lol.
    Only thing I can think of is that the effects aren't done, and they're still being worked on.....hopefully
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

To be fair $200 million is usually for a 2.5 hour film as opposed to a 6 hour tv show. Having a few main characters that require full CGI models, as well as whatever other effects are required, AS WELL as all the other things that go into a tv show (wages, transport etc), there isn’t much money left for movie level effects.

On top of that, we’re still 3 months out til release, and I imagine this trailer was finalised a while ago. For me personally, CGI isn’t a make or break, i can live with it as long as everything else os well done, and so far it looks to be!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Only thing I can think of is that the effects aren't done, and they're still being worked on.....hopefully
    Hopefully...this is just a rushed preview.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    To be fair $200 million is usually for a 2.5 hour film as opposed to a 6 hour tv show. Having a few main characters that require full CGI models, as well as whatever other effects are required, AS WELL as all the other things that go into a tv show (wages, transport etc), there isn’t much money left for movie level effects.

On top of that, we’re still 3 months out til release, and I imagine this trailer was finalised a while ago. For me personally, CGI isn’t a make or break, i can live with it as long as everything else os well done, and so far it looks to be!
    District 9 was 112min with a $30million budget and came out in 2009.

I stand by what I said, there is simply no excuse. Maybe most of the budget went to Ruffalo and other cameos.

"Movie level effects" are not what people are looking for. Like I said, Marvel has had more impressive CGI on far less of a budget. The digital creation needs to look like it's actually in the room, not inserted with a computer. Many many effects artists can "trick" audiences by using different lighting and textures to make the digital effect look more impressive than it actually is. The actual design of She Hulk is not the issue here. The rendering, and how she appears in the environments, is distracting and (personally) takes me out of it completely.

Yah its mainly that you don't want the CGI to be distracting from what is going on. For me, anyhow. Its part of the immersion. Doesn't need to be perfect. Its just always a challenge mixing full CGI characters with real actors. Avatar handled it by mostly having either all real actors or all CGI in each of the scenes. For a lot of the shots with the Hulk, even when he is with a crowd, he is shot by himself. Sneaky tricks!

So I am sure it will be fine once we see the whole thing put together.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

District 9 was 112min with a $30million budget and came out in 2009.

I stand by what I said, there is simply no excuse. Maybe most of the budget went to Ruffalo and other cameos.

"Movie level effects" are not what people are looking for. Like I said, Marvel has had more impressive CGI on far less of a budget. The digital creation needs to look like it's actually in the room, not inserted with a computer. Many many effects artists can "trick" audiences by using different lighting and textures to make the digital effect look more impressive than it actually is. The actual design of She Hulk is not the issue here. The rendering, and how she appears in the environments, is distracting and (personally) takes me out of it completely.
    I don’t know, I think their budget is stretched thin honestly - though District 9 was 30 million, I imagine it was overall a lot cheaper to produce as a film, with a large percentage of the money being spent on effects. I think She Hulk is due to be 10 episodes - so if the $200 million figure is correct, its $20 million per episode, with a lot of that money going to cast, crew, writers, directors, licensing, locations, taxes, editing, special effects, etc.

Frankly, I think the main problem really is that Marvel are doing too many projects, leading to effects work being rushed. I think phase 4 has been pretty hit or miss in terms of VFX and I imagine that’s the culprit.

Hopefully it’s sorted by release, if not, I think I’ll still be able to enjoy it - as long as I’m able to tell what the intent is, I can forgive most things

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    "Why is there comedy in my TV show adapting a comedy-based comic book!?!?!?!?!"
    I think the point is the comics are meant to be funny and that's one of the unique selling points in a field of more serious comics. It stands out more.

The She-Hulk show is aiming to focus on humour in a field full of other humorous Marvel movies/shows, because that's the in house style in the MCU. It's really not unique in the same way.

Disney have been happy to share profits before in the MCU (Spider-Man). I think unfortunately it’s Universal that are being “difficult” - I hear they can basically just veto any attempts at a solo movie/show based on Bruce Banner’s Hulk - Mark Ruffalo has blamed Universal for it in the past.

As with Hulk in the comics, I’m sure we’ll have him revert back to a savage hulk eventually
    Wow. Thanks for this information. I didn't know that. Universal should really just play ball. Feige and company know what they're doing. I'm just concerned that Ruffalo is getting a bit old. I think he's been in the MCU for a decade now. I want Banner to have a "good ending" there.

I don’t know, I think their budget is stretched thin honestly - though District 9 was 30 million, I imagine it was overall a lot cheaper to produce as a film, with a large percentage of the money being spent on effects. I think She Hulk is due to be 10 episodes - so if the $200 million figure is correct, its $20 million per episode, with a lot of that money going to cast, crew, writers, directors, licensing, locations, taxes, editing, special effects, etc.

Frankly, I think the main problem really is that Marvel are doing too many projects, leading to effects work being rushed. I think phase 4 has been pretty hit or miss in terms of VFX and I imagine that’s the culprit.

Hopefully it’s sorted by release, if not, I think I’ll still be able to enjoy it - as long as I’m able to tell what the intent is, I can forgive most things
    $20-25 million for 9-10 episodes is a boatload of money in my view. I think people who are already fans of the MCU will enjoy it and not worry about the effects. I'm just disappointed because I love She-Hulk and I know Marvel can do way better on an even tighter budget. To me, a trailer is a look at a finished product, but there are some cases when that just isn't true. And you could be right about Marvel being stretched thin. If I were a fan of the MCU (I'm mostly a fan of Marvel comics) I feel like I'd want less output and more quality.