Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, although CGI is really expensive so I'm not expecting it'll be quite at the comic level of She-Hulk exposure.
    But, you get the point about Disney+ =/= CW show, yes? Anyone thinking the budget will be identical to Infinity War/Endgame is smoking the good stuff, but to say "Look at Citizen Steel" doesn't make sense either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    But, you get the point about Disney+ =/= CW show, yes? Anyone thinking the budget will be identical to Infinity War/Endgame is smoking the good stuff, but to say "Look at Citizen Steel" doesn't make sense either.
    Oh no, I'm definitely expecting the budget and effects is more extensive than a CW show and more on par with the movies (if not exactly the budget of the biggest movies).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The only time I read SHE-HULK was when John Byrne was writing and drawing it. And I only remember her being in her Shulkie form not transforming. And that's how I liked it. As She-Hulk, she was a bit taller and more muscular than others (a Marvel Big Barda), but green.

I really don't care for computer generated and motion captured characters. Whenever possible, I would just like to see the actor playing the character on set--without that filter between me and the performance. But I do like Tatiana Maslany. Are there no Alpha Flight characters she could play? We never seem to get Canadian actors playing Canadian characters.
    This. Marvel should have just went with a tall athletic charismatic unknown. I find it funny that Dwayne Johnson and Dave Bautista started out as just wrestlers and made the leap but women can't get that privilege.

Think about the money they could have saved if they just went with a women from WWE or AEW and just painted them green. It's much cheaper to fake height, and they could save a ton of cash because they wouldn't have to CGI her to death. They would also have a built in audience who knows who the actress is and is more likely to spend money on products featuring them. Look what happened when Favreau took a chance on Gina Carrano.

This is something that was made for Ronda Rousey, so why isn't she in it?

Sorry, for the rant.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 09-20-2020 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention Rousey and Carrano.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

I really, really don't get the preference for physical resemblance over acting ability to tell a story. It's like an admission you don't want a story, just people punching stuff

Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    I really, really don't get the preference for physical resemblance over acting ability to tell a story. It's like an admission you don't want a story, just people punching stuff
    I really, really don't understand how you can miss my point so completely.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    They might be able to afford to have her as she Hulk for few minutes every episode (opposed to citizen Steel who only transforms in a few episodes per season), but I would still expect her to be in her human shape most of the time.

I mean seriously is there any TV or Streaming show that has an complex CGI Character with lots of screen time?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I really, really don't understand how you can miss my point so completely.
    What point did I miss? Was I even responding to you?

Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    What point did I miss? Was I even responding to you?
    If you weren't, my most sincerest apologies.

... Look what happened when Favreau took a chance on Gina Carrano.
    I think it was Soderbergh who really took a chance on her by making her the lead in his movie "Haywire." (I think she did a great job in that)

Mighty Member

This. Marvel should have just went with a tall athletic charismatic unknown. I find it funny that Dwayne Johnson and Dave Bautista started out as just wrestlers and made the leap but women can't get that privilege.

Think about the money they could have saved if they just went with a women from WWE or AEW and just painted them green. It's much cheaper to fake height, and they could save a ton of cash because they wouldn't have to CGI her to death. They would also have a built in audience who knows who the actress is and is more likely to spend money on products featuring them. Look what happened when Favreau took a chance on Gina Carrano.

This is something that was made for Ronda Rousey, so why isn't she in it?

Sorry, for the rant.
    So we can have an Emmy winning, incredibly talented and moderately well known actress who has incredible range as an actress, is excited for genre work, and has experience creating notably different personalities in the same project.

Or we can have a WWE wrestler.

I don't want to knock Cena or Bautista. Both have proven they have a future in Hollywood. Carano does good work as a supporting player. And Dwayne Johnson is a treasure. So it could work out, sure.

But in a case where the character is almost certainly going to be Jen Walters as often as she's She-Hulk, and where She-Hulk can easily be CG, I don't understand why people want Marvel to cast for only one half of the role and just throw Jennifer Walters under the bus.

Maslany can easily perform both roles with vfx help. And she'll likely be better in both roles than a lesser actress.

BANNED

If you weren't, my most sincerest apologies.
    Thank you for that.

Retired

It's because a lot of the humour comes from seeing She-Hulk in her fourth-wall breaking role. Tatiana Maslany might be great in her role--but what we want to see is She-Hulk on screen. And if posters here are right and it's a motion capture computer generated performance, that's just not as funny as an actor on screen with practical effects.

Josh Brolin might be good as Thanos, but Armin Shimerman as Quark is more valuable than gold-pressed latinum.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Josh Brolin might be good as Thanos, but Armin Shimerman as Quark is more valuable than gold-pressed latinum.
    DS9 continues without Armin. There's no MCU without Josh or someone in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    So we can have an Emmy winning, incredibly talented and moderately well known actress who has incredible range as an actress, is excited for genre work, and has experience creating notably different personalities in the same project.

Or we can have a WWE wrestler.

I don't want to knock Cena or Bautista. Both have proven they have a future in Hollywood. Carano does good work as a supporting player. And Dwayne Johnson is a treasure. So it could work out, sure.

But in a case where the character is almost certainly going to be Jen Walters as often as she's She-Hulk, and where She-Hulk can easily be CG, I don't understand why people want Marvel to cast for only one half of the role and just throw Jennifer Walters under the bus.

Maslany can easily perform both roles with vfx help. And she'll likely be better in both roles than a lesser actress.
    She-Hulk's best run is the Byrne run, a run in which she is She-Hulk all the time. I find it interesting that you are willing to admit that both Cena and Bautista both have a future in Hollywood but dismiss Carrano as a supporting player when Cena, Bautista, and Johnson stated out the exact same way. Johnson did a guest spot on Star Trek: Voyager early in his career! You didn't even mention Ronda Rousey and she was in the Fast and Furious franchise and has far more name recognition than Tatiana Maslany.

This is what I was talking about. People are willing to make an exception for the men but when it comes to the women the clock turns back and we get people saying things like..."Or we can have a WWE wrestler. "

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think it was Soderbergh who really took a chance on her by making her the lead in his movie "Haywire." (I think she did a great job in that)
    Thanks, for giving me another example from a different genre.