Page 52 of 89 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Wow. Someone hit a nerve.
    yeah, it's true. chicago_bastard pissed me off.

chicago_bastard used Fox News-style insinuations to disparage people who dislike certain content. they followed this up with the implication that objections to Captain Marvel and She Hulk are based on sexist double-standards instead of differing opinions on the quality of writing associated with each character.

we should be engaging with specific content on this forum, or elsewhere. if you want to quote an article and respond to it... fine. but don't speak in vague and categorical ways just for the sake of making some people look like 'the bad guys'.

if I think Richard Brody fails to understand that Lady Susan Vernon is NOT the protagonist, but rather the VILLAIN of Whit Stillman's "Love and Friendship" I'll say that up front.

when it was implied that only female led titles were being subjected to this unfair criticism I laid out several arguments for WHY the fans responded differently to Carol, Stephen, and Tony.

then, to make it still more irritating: chicago_bastard's reply ignored all of my arguments demonstrating that fact. their response was "you are obviously not the target of my posting"

why do we have to TARGET people at all? that's practically an admission of guilt to my original complaint.

which leads me to this post by Gaelforce (which I wish I had noticed earlier):
    "Let's leave the woke nonsense at the door, guys, and stick to your own opinions and not those of people who aren't on this forum."

"Fox News-style insinuations to disparage people" rofl. If you think the "reasoning" I mentioned doesn't exist then I don't know what to tell you.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

You've got to hand it to Marvel, Captain Marvel and She Hulk did a wonderful job making a tonne of blokes suddenly interested in serious film criticism. I even saw a particular HEMA channel temporarily turn into a film review channel for Captain Marvel before going back to "which shortsword is best to wear to after dinner drinks".

***SPOILERS FOR EP 5***
    -- This one didn't do anything for me. I get that Jen having to fight for a name she never wanted could have been an interesting story, but I don't think this was it. I didn't get a sense that this lawsuit lead Jen to embrace her new identity, which one might think was the premise of this episode. They won from a legal meaneauver - which was fine, but nothing as good as most lawyer shows.
    -- The CGI on She-Hulk seems to be getting worse. I'm used to bad FX on sci-fi shows and I don't expect an MCU tv show to look as good as the movies, but this ep seemed a downturn from previous ones.
    -- I can't imagine that clothing designer character to be real. Who do they design for? (aside from DD) I know people in the MCU are used to superheroes etc, but you can't just introduce a "fashion designer for supes" who supposedly has been around awhile when Marvel has made it clear which heroes exist and it's not that many. (and of the ones that do, we know where most of their outfits came from)

I was expecting so much more from this episode and it was a let down. The CGI does not look good.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Incredible Member

Is the CGI really that distracting for people? I guess I’m just getting used to it.

I didn’t watch the CW superhero shows except for Arrow but did people comment as much about the CGI on those?

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

This show continues to have, well, a She-Hulk problem, in that she's not particularly fun or interesting and it's mostly there to whine about stuff. People embraced Madisynn so quickly exactly because she's fun like She-Hulk should be.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

This episode left me cold. No laugh, no real interesting point. The actress playing Jen is doing a good job, but this was not written well in my mind (the previous episodes I have been okay with).

The fashion designer is odd. Not sure who he could have been making suits for, there are less than 100 ‘Supers’ in the world and many don’t require his services (Tony, Thor, Peter, etc……)

The CGI in She Hulk has been…fine, for the most part. It hasn’t really bothered me save like, a scene or two per episode. In this one, it looked different to me. Not sure if it was or not, but the realism of it was lacking to me in this episode (especially compared to the previous episode).

Now, obviously in any super hero show the CGI has ups and downs (Arroverse, Smallville, Agents of SHIELD, etc….), just seemed on a ‘down’ in this one.

Regardless, hopefully the next episode will be a bit more exciting/fun.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    This show continues to have, well, a She-Hulk problem, in that she's not particularly fun or interesting and it's mostly there to whine about stuff. People embraced Madisynn so quickly exactly because she's fun like She-Hulk should be.
    Madisynn is only like Jen in the most superficial sense. She-Hulk is equally "whiny" in the comics, especially under Byrne and Slott.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Madisynn is nothing like Jen other than being funny and a woman. Shes very clearly a party grrl

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I actually thought the latest episode was one of the strongest yet. The string of bad dates being paraded out was funny and the moment after the case between Jen and Mallory about the struggles they face in the workplace was poignant.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- I can't imagine that clothing designer character to be real. Who do they design for?
    I’m always surprised by how much “extra” some look into things!

I feel the designer is easy to roll with. We don’t know how many supers exist but safe to say there is more than we know of. Plus, his patrons may not operate as “heroes”. They just need something that works for their use/powers. And the designer could outfit ANY super regardless of their classification (i.e. hero, villain, other).

They actually introduced a similar concept, albeit animated, in the Incredibles.
    Last edited by wleakr; 09-15-2022 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I’m always surprised by how much “extra” some look into things!

I feel the designer is easy to roll with. We don’t know how many supers exist but safe to say there is more than we know of. Plus, his patrons may not operate as “heroes”. They just need something that works for their use/powers. And the designer could outfit ANY super regardless of their classification (i.e. hero, villain, other).

They actually introduced a similar concept, albeit animated, in the Incredibles.
    I don't think it's "extra." Marvel has spent many years building this universe and the MCU isn't "The Boys" or "The Incredibles" or "My Hero Academia" where superhumans are a dime a dozen. If Marvel wanted to show that there's been a huge rise in superhumans lately, great - then show that. Otherwise, the existence of a "super suit designer" who's as busy as this one (who's also a boring cliche fashion designer character, imo) doesn't make sense in this world. Marvel has made bank on mining the concept of a shared universe, which works well when they use it on this show, but for me this doesn't hold up.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't think it's "extra." Marvel has spent many years building this universe and the MCU isn't "The Boys" or "The Incredibles" or "My Hero Academia" where superhumans are a dime a dozen. If Marvel wanted to show that there's been a huge rise in superhumans lately, great - then show that. Otherwise, the existence of a "super suit designer" who's as busy as this one (who's also a boring cliche fashion designer character, imo) doesn't make sense in this world. Marvel has made bank on mining the concept of a shared universe, which works well when they use it on this show, but for me this doesn't hold up.
    Eh, the idea that there may be other lesser heroes or villains existing off screen doesn't stretch my suspension of disbelief in the least. It's the same way with the comics, I've always assumed there were plenty of other heroes who didn't live in New York City that you just never saw for one reason or other, as the idea of New York having the super hero market cornered just never sat right with me as a reader from Boston.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member

Maybe he is more than a super suit designer?

For me, it a simple plot device to get Jen something to wear other than a business suit or off the rack spandex. I'm looking forward to the new outfit.