Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    That's some of the stuff that kinda bothers me about the MCU, everything is known and there's no mystery or tension. Killer/Zombie/Pirate/Robot/Ninja shows up and people are already use to it. I feel like the transition to acceptance was too short and to casual.
    Half the population vanished for 5 years. An alien invasion was all over the news before that. You don't think with the way things are today the news would not be nonstop hero talk? It would be strange if people were not getting used to it by now really.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Half the population vanished for 5 years. An alien invasion was all over the news before that. You don't think with the way things are today the news would not be nonstop hero talk? It would be strange if people were not getting used to it by now really.
    Which means whenever they do introduce the X-Men, they'll have to have a new hook besides "Protecting a world that hates and fears us." Everyone's already use to everything else, mutants being the final straw wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Which means whenever they do introduce the X-Men, they'll have to have a new hook besides "Protecting a world that hates and fears us." Everyone's already use to everything else, mutants being the final straw wouldn't make a lot of sense.
    First of all, prejudice and intolerance rarely if ever make sense in real life. Why be afraid of people with a different skin color or go to war because your neighbor that worships the same God as you, as the same Holy Book as yours, but his interpretation is slightly different?

Second, there's isolated cases of people that gained awesome powers by accident. Not thousands or millions of people, that happened to be your neighbor, your brother, that guy that has a crush on your girlfriend, or that employee you fired and is angry at you. Meaning it could be you that had that awesome powers, but you didn't (there's jealousy) or someone that could use them to murder you (there's fear). Also, most heroes are celebrities and the average person doesn't know any. It's similar to how a racist prick can hate black people, but still like the black players that plays in his team.

Third, it's not like the heroes are all popular, all the time. Public opinion turned against them after Ultron, and I doubt they were all that popular after they failed to stop Thanos. Spider-Man also had his life destroyed by becoming famous. It's not hard to see public opinion turn against a group of them, specially if a) They begin to pop up every day and b) A supremacist like Magneto, Apocalypse or Exodus starts killing people and calling for war in the name of a "master race".

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    First of all, prejudice and intolerance rarely if ever make sense in real life. Why be afraid of people with a different skin color or go to war because your neighbor that worships the same God as you, as the same Holy Book as yours, but his interpretation is slightly different?

Second, there's isolated cases of people that gained awesome powers by accident. Not thousands or millions of people, that happened to be your neighbor, your brother, that guy that has a crush on your girlfriend, or that employee you fired and is angry at you. Meaning it could be you that had that awesome powers, but you didn't (there's jealousy) or someone that could use them to murder you (there's fear). Also, most heroes are celebrities and the average person doesn't know any. It's similar to how a racist prick can hate black people, but still like the black players that plays in his team.

Third, it's not like the heroes are all popular, all the time. Public opinion turned against them after Ultron, and I doubt they were all that popular after they failed to stop Thanos. Spider-Man also had his life destroyed by becoming famous. It's not hard to see public opinion turn against a group of them, specially if a) They begin to pop up every day and b) A supremacist like Magneto, Apocalypse or Exodus starts killing people and calling for war in the name of a "master race".
    I'm sure it felt good to type all that, but I'm talking about within the framework of the show, which is a snapshot into the larger MCU (kinda the point of these endless shows), which already seems to be mortal enemies with "what would happen in real life." People are used to people they see as villains, those they see as heroes, and those inbetween. LITERALLY responding to a thread where someone said and I quote "Killer/Zombie/Pirate/Robot/Ninja shows up and people are already use to it. I feel like the transition to acceptance was too short and to casual."

Context, basically.

Mavel will have to find a new angle, sorry. You don't agree, cool, let's see what happens but based on what we're seeing right now/have seen, they'll have to find a new angle [most likely].

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Yeah, I don't think you're reading what I am writing or not even bothering understanding. It's a big leap for "aliens, wizards and superheroes exist and appear on TV often, I might even see meet one in person someday" or "I used to go to high-school with Dave that was bitten by a radioactive pigeon and now can fly" to "there's millions of these powered people everywhere, anyone can be one, and they can come for me at any time".

Boisterously Confused

Lawd Help Us!

You folk are thinking about this way too hard. This is MCU version of Byrne's She-Hulk. Just hold on and roll with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Yeah, that. Really, from all of the D+ Marvel shows, the whole time they have been used to further the world-building and plotlines/character development that was previously established. From evolving Wanda to her pre-villain stage to putting Sam in his actual Cap suit -- to the existence at all of Kate Bishop and Kamala Khan, and all of the various super-powered antagonists in all of these shows, they have been establishing the whole time that there has been this proliferation of "super" people and stuff.

I mean one, the tone of this show is obviously meant to be more humorous than real-life-drama serious, so I'm not personally motivated to be super watchful for how realistic the plotlines may be, but two, as HollowSage points out, it seems obvious that part of the point of how She-Hulk's show is meant to further evolve the MCU, is telling us their shared world is becoming such that super powers and super-powered people are not super rare -- thus, the elf and her shenanigans, Wrecking Crew, and Titania being a "super powered influencer". I mean, if you rolled back the MCU to any of the movies canon-wise, how would a super powered influencer make sense?

As far as it goes, I didn't find the character particularly inspired or funny either myself, but given that we know they there are many more shows coming, I can't see that it can hurt to establish at least that there's such a thing as someone specializing in suits for supers, at this point. I mean, there would be eventually. And having set this guy up, you can potentially have people (in future shows) get a cool "super" look with a quick aside, rather than needing to take up a whole storyline to explain it.

... well, like I suppose if they want to start the new Daredevil show with him in a new suit. No explanation needed, now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's funny to me watching MCU Titania and thinking that comic Titania would probably hate her guts and want to beat her up. Also funnily enough the character is being portrayed as a parody of the Kardashians who the actress has publically criticized.

Still no explanation on how she got her powers...

I guess a crazy female influencer is fairly topical as far as antagonists go, even if it makes Titania come off as more shallow and non-threatening by comparison. Not really what you'd expect from an archenemy. Even Jen seems to think of her as less of a nemesis and more of an annoyance, although in the comics I don't think the enmity was ever as personal for Jen as it was for Titania, so that's matching up. And we'll probably get more Titania over time.

I saw someone online post the real issue with the Shulkie CG. At night or with darker lighting it comes off more naturally than it does in the daylight or in the office, which most of this episode was set in so the CG quality was...less than stellar looking this week.

Mallory Brook finally takes the stage and is ready to go to court fabulously while also dishing out some harsh truths to Jen, finally establishing their comic dynamic of Mallory being dismissive and condescending (yet professional) towards Jen but them begrudgingly growing on each other despite that.

Nikki may have been kind of racist there, but she's still better at speaking Chinese than Arthur Harrow was at speaking Mandarin.

Jen felt surprisingly passive and reactive in this episode, even if she did figure out how to resolve her own case, but I'm ready for a more sassy and confident She-Hulk.

Apparently there is a much bigger need for Superhero costumes in the MCU than I expected considering all the main heroes have in-universe explanations for their costumes. I wonder how many other heroes exist in the MCU now and how much of that we'll actually see in this series.

This episode's sub-plot revolving around Jen's clothes made me realize how sad it is that Janet Van Dyne isn't the MCU's leading fashion designer/Superhero costumer like she is in the comics. No offense to Luke, but who wouldn't want to get outfits from Michelle Pfeiffer?

Apparently this Luke guy is actually from the comics, an old Dakota North comic in fact, so that was neat. I was actually kind of disappointed they didn't have any Easter Egg costumes hanging around there (other than the main one). Like, throw in a Paladin costume or Forbush Man or something at least...

That thing of parading Jens' lovers or dates as witnesses actually happened in the comics, with Mallory as lead counsel as well, although ironically in that instance it was used to discredit her during the trial of the Leader instead of helping her win the case like it did here. Still super embarrassing either way.

I'm kind of curious where they're going with Jens' character development. I thought this episode would be her really taking hold of the She-Hulk name and owning up to it, but it still feels like she only fought for it begrudgingly and not because she likes it now. And it seems like Jen is realizing that people want She-Hulk and not Jen, but instead of seeing that as a reason to be She-Hulk more, it's just treated as the men not being worth her time. I'm actually surprised she wasn't transformed to have drinks with Mallory when she knows she doesn't get drunk as She-Hulk, but maybe she didn't want the attention.

So Luke is behind the new Daredevil suit...to be honest it's hard for me to picture him and Matt in the same scene together, but I'm kind of morbidly curious whether the yellow was his idea or Matt's.

All of Pug's shoes...all the references...I'm not sure I want to make sense of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I’m always surprised by how much “extra” some look into things!

I feel the designer is easy to roll with. We don’t know how many supers exist but safe to say there is more than we know of. Plus, his patrons may not operate as “heroes”. They just need something that works for their use/powers. And the designer could outfit ANY super regardless of their classification (i.e. hero, villain, other).

They actually introduced a similar concept, albeit animated, in the Incredibles.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't think it's "extra." Marvel has spent many years building this universe and the MCU isn't "The Boys" or "The Incredibles" or "My Hero Academia" where superhumans are a dime a dozen. If Marvel wanted to show that there's been a huge rise in superhumans lately, great - then show that. Otherwise, the existence of a "super suit designer" who's as busy as this one (who's also a boring cliche fashion designer character, imo) doesn't make sense in this world. Marvel has made bank on mining the concept of a shared universe, which works well when they use it on this show, but for me this doesn't hold up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

Incredible Member

The only angle or hook they really need is the one that already works. It’s one thing to know that aliens, magicians and billionaire tech bros exist.

It’s another thing to know that your own child could turn into a fire breathing monster or blow a hole through your house with uncontrollable eye beams. The mutant threat isn’t something that just happens to other people it’s scary because it could happen to you and your children. That’s what freaks people out about mutants.

I mean, we see how Damage Control reacts to enhanced people. I imagine that will get worse when Mutants show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Lawd Help Us!

You folk are thinking about this way too hard. This is MCU version of Byrne's She-Hulk. Just hold on and roll with it.
    But we're fans! We always overthink things .

Mavel will have to find a new angle, sorry. You don't agree, cool, let's see what happens but based on what we're seeing right now/have seen, they'll have to find a new angle [most likely].
    I basically agree with Omega Alpha. Just because the general populace might be "used to" super beings etc, doesn't mean there aren't still many millions of people that aren't, or that there isn't a bubbling resentment or fear under the surface amongst many of the populace. Mutants had long been a stand-in for prejudice, and despite how much mainstream American culture used to pretend we rose above all that, we've seen how it has far from disappeared. So, just as they've shown people getting used to it, they can just as easily show a bunch of people reacting badly to the idea of mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Lawd Help Us!
    Gee, thanks for the condescending reprimand. You know this is a comic book website message board right? You really want to be Mr "you're taking this too seriously" on a fan forum? It's also just for fun - if you don't want to engage with it, just ignore it. You don't have to play, but don't piss in other people's punch.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-20-2022 at 10:45 PM.

I still love the show, but this episode was a bit underwhelming. I think it might be because of how obvious the solution was. Has Jen ever adopted the name She-Hulk? Well, yeah, we saw her create that dating profile, so naturally that was going to come into play.

Did they suddenly lose faith that people would stick around for post-credits and decide to put the Daredevil tease at the end of the episode itself? Hmm, I wonder what happened to Melvin Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This one didn't do anything for me. I get that Jen having to fight for a name she never wanted could have been an interesting story, but I don't think this was it. I didn't get a sense that this lawsuit lead Jen to embrace her new identity, which one might think was the premise of this episode. They won from a legal meaneauver - which was fine, but nothing as good as most lawyer shows.
    Yeah, it would've been nice to have more of Jen seeing herself as She-Hulk. Maybe we have to wait for the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Is the CGI really that distracting for people? I guess I’m just getting used to it.

I didn’t watch the CW superhero shows except for Arrow but did people comment as much about the CGI on those?
    Yeah, Supergirl had Martian Manhunter. They kind of had to use that form sparingly, and there were definite limitations. Speaking of DC, I've been thinking about Solomon Grundy. He's recently been both a guy in bodypaint and CGI, but I'm not sure if people prefer his look on Gotham or his look on Stargirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    So, the hero shoe line at the end had shoes from big name heroes in the mcu like iron man, captain america, deadpool, the thing and cyclops!

Deadpool got a nod in she-hulk after all!
    Wait, really? Both the Thing and Cyclops are already established now?

I guess a crazy female influencer is fairly topical as far as antagonists go, even if it makes Titania come off as more shallow and non-threatening by comparison. Not really what you'd expect from an archenemy. Even Jen seems to think of her as less of a nemesis and more of an annoyance, although in the comics I don't think the enmity was ever as personal for Jen as it was for Titania, so that's matching up. And we'll probably get more Titania over time.
    Maybe her ultimate enemy will be whoever sent the Wrecking Crew after her. Titania may involve herself in that somehow, but we'll have to see.

I mean, we see how Damage Control reacts to enhanced people. I imagine that will get worse when Mutants show up.
    Oh I can definitely see that.

I'm sure it felt good to type all that, but I'm talking about within the framework of the show, which is a snapshot into the larger MCU (kinda the point of these endless shows), which already seems to be mortal enemies with "what would happen in real life." People are used to people they see as villains, those they see as heroes, and those inbetween. LITERALLY responding to a thread where someone said and I quote "Killer/Zombie/Pirate/Robot/Ninja shows up and people are already use to it. I feel like the transition to acceptance was too short and to casual."

Context, basically.

Lets see how you react to police drones coming to your home because a neighbor saw you "throwing" fire like magic. That's how it works.

Context, basically.

The way I see it, the reasons for X-Men being outcasts has been continually evolving throughout their comic history. Its not going to be a stretch to use yet another reason in the MCU.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 09-21-2022 at 10:33 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The way I see it, the angle on X-Men being outcasts has been continually evolving throughout their comic history. Its not going to be a stretch to use yet another reason in the MCU.
    But why would they when the X-Men's premise has worked in the comics for decades where they share a world with heroes like the Avengers and the FF. It's no more far-fetched in the MU than it would be in the MCU.

It's one thing for people to become accustomed to the occasional oddity or superhero, but it's another when they start self-identifying as their own culture. Throw in a Magneto describing themselves as a "superior race" and you can see how that would create widescale fear and anger. We've barely scratched the surface of how people were traumatized by the blip. I doubt everyone is just cool with all the powered people running around. (it's like how we saw that couple try to kill Jessica Jones because of the NYC invasion - it wouldn't be surprising to know that angry people are around, we just haven't seen them yet)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-21-2022 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The way I see it, the reasons for X-Men being outcasts has been continually evolving throughout their comic history. Its not going to be a stretch to use yet another reason in the MCU.
    Agreed. I think you put it better than I did but yes, agreed.