Page 85 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1324

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    You may not like her (and by no means are you under any obligation to), but at least with Harley you can see how she got from point "A" to "B." Deadpool's just a big ol' mess.
    I like Harley .

Deadpool's mess is kind of deliberate.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It was dead on accurate to Dan Slott's run though and since that is the best take on She-Hulk by a country mile that's a win.
    I think Slott's run did a better job of getting into Jen's head, using her as She-Hulk, and developing the supporting cast (though the latter was more a fault of the episode count and runtime).

Also he probably would not have approved of their use of Mr. Immortal, GLA writer that he is .

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like Harley .

I think Slott's run did a better job of getting into Jen's head, using her as She-Hulk, and developing the supporting cast (though the latter was more a fault of the episode count and runtime).

Also he probably would not have approved of their use of Mr. Immortal, GLA writer that he is .
    I think the show did a pretty good job of getting into Jen's headspace, I'd actually say that was one of the strong parts of the show.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I think the show did a pretty good job of getting into Jen's headspace, I'd actually say that was one of the strong parts of the show.
    I think the way her opinion and stance on things kind of flip-flopped depending on the episode hurt that and her character arc a little.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is it? If it is then...yikes.

Likewise. We really got a feel for who she was as a person. And who she was was pretty interesting and great.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I finally gave in and got Disney+, specifically to see She-Hulk.

Well, loved Tatiana Maslany as Jenn and She-Hulk. Thought Tim Roth was also great doing a comedy version of his character.

I thought that, unfortunately, they didn't explore any of the concepts in any depth. The courtroom drama with a person who just happened to have another form with super powers never really was explored.

The fourth wall breaking has long been part of Jenn's character but it was always a turnoff for me, literally why I stopped reading the character. It was okay in the show for the first eight episodes because you could excise the scenes where she breaks the fourth wall without the story changing in any important way. In other words, you could get a laugh out of it, then just ignore it. In the finale, obviously, it was impossible to ignore to the point that it puts the whole series into "world setting of it's own; otherwise, never happened" for me. Mind you, I thought it was the cleverest part of the whole show in spite of not caring for it. It was amazingly self-deprecating, willing to criticize the weak points of the Marvel movies, sometimes in ways even fans seldom think of, such as the number of characters who have "Daddy issues." But, it gives the overall feeling that the series was a blowoff that was never meant to be taken as any real part of canon.

I think there were a couple of things the show did very well.

I think it got into the kind of things women still put up with. I know more than one woman who looked at some of the sexism Jenn runs into while nodding, "Oh, yeah. 100% our experiences."

The other is that it does a great job at comedy. Emil Blonsky as a self-help guru is priceless as are characters like Porcupine and others. Leapfrog at the Lillypad.

In spite o my criticisms, it's too bad there won't be a second season and probably no appearance in a movie, though I suppose the fourth wall breaking is a big part of why that may never happen- unless it's some kind of Deadpool deal AND there's an explanation that fits into a serious drama, not just a campy comedy.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 04-20-2024 at 06:20 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I think the vast majority did not like the show because of the humor, or rather there was too much of it. They also probably didn't like Jen breaking the 4th wall all the time even though I think she was the first one to do so in her comic book by Byrne. Did any TV or movie personality break the 4th wall before She-Hulk?
    Well, yes. "Moonlighting" constantly broke the fourth wall. The 1950s "Adventures of Superman" did a minor breaking at the end of most episodes with Clark looking straight at the camera and winking. There's probably a long list of characters in all the decades of movies and television that have done it. I don't mind it in a self-contained universe. But, in a shared universe, it kind of becomes problematic. It gives a weird "fiction within fiction" vibe to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    In spite o my criticisms, it's too bad there won't be a second season and probably no appearance in a movie, though I suppose the fourth wall breaking is a big part of why that may never happen- unless it's some kind of Deadpool deal AND there's an explanation that fits into a serious drama, not just a campy comedy.
    I don't see why that would be a problem. She does it in the comics - break the 4th wall in her title, then pops up in Avengers or whatnot as a typical superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't see why that would be a problem. She does it in the comics - break the 4th wall in her title, then pops up in Avengers or whatnot as a typical superhero.
    For me, it's something like this.

When she appears in an Avengers title, did the stuff that happened in her own comic where she breaks the fourth wall still happen? Or, for purposes of the Avengers title, the stuff it her own comic didn't happen or kind of happened but not the fourth wall stuff?

That's why I said that the whole fourth wall breaking stuff is fine when a character exists in her or his own universe but becomes problematic when a character is in a shared universe.

For me, it's something like this.

When she appears in an Avengers title, did the stuff that happened in her own comic where she breaks the fourth wall still happen? Or, for purposes of the Avengers title, the stuff it her own comic didn't happen or kind of happened but not the fourth wall stuff?

That's why I said that the whole fourth wall breaking stuff is fine when a character exists in her or his own universe but becomes problematic when a character is in a shared universe.
    I get that it's a problem for you, but it's not a problem for me and most readers seem able to reconcile her jumping between these two tones or storytelling techniques. It would be weird if she was in an Avengers movie and she was the only one doing it as a supporting member, but I think it's fine as long as it only happens on her show (which is how they handle it in the comics) but odds are we won't even see her again anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I get that it's a problem for you, but it's not a problem for me and most readers seem able to reconcile her jumping between these two tones or storytelling techniques. It would be weird if she was in an Avengers movie and she was the only one doing it as a supporting member, but I think it's fine as long as it only happens on her show (which is how they handle it in the comics) but odds are we won't even see her again anyway.
    Oh, I don't have an overwhelming problem with the 4th wall breaking. It just takes me out of the story. But I definitely agree that the saddest part of this is that we very likely won't ever see the She-Hulk again. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong.

Oh, I don't have an overwhelming problem with the 4th wall breaking. It just takes me out of the story. But I definitely agree that the saddest part of this is that we very likely won't ever see the She-Hulk again. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong.
    Oh that might not be why we may never see She-Hulk again, at least as played by Tatiana Maslany...

Tatiana Maslany Blames The Passion Of The Picket Lines For Her Smash Of Disney’s Bob Iger

BANNED

I'm not gonna lie the constant doom and gloom people do nowadays makes all these discussions so exhausting.

Where exactly is the evidence that we're never gonna see She Hulk again?

Because I don't see it, it's completely baseless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Oh that might not be why we may never see She-Hulk again, at least as played by Tatiana Maslany...

Tatiana Maslany Blames The Passion Of The Picket Lines For Her Smash Of Disney’s Bob Iger
    That's a shame

That would be such a waste not to keep Maslany in the role and/or not give her a second season of She-Hulk.

Butthurt Bob Iger and small minded incel fans be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    I'm not gonna lie the constant doom and gloom people do nowadays makes all these discussions so exhausting.

Where exactly is the evidence that we're never gonna see She Hulk again?

Because I don't see it, it's completely baseless.
    If you can't handle people expressing their opinions (which are based on feelings and not evidence) you might reconsider participating in fan forums.