Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, Rhodey will probably end up taking center stage in Armor Wars I would imagine more or less standing in for Tony.
    Yeah, but by that point he's already been depicted or built up to be a different person and character than Tony. I'm not even sure the Armor Wars will make him as obsessed as they did Tony in the comics.

It's not like in What If where it was basically the same stories and lines with Steve, except with Peggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh we certainly need this.

Sure, her What If episode was just repeating Steve's stuff. But nothing says that's *all* the show would be, and it seems rather obvious than a fully dedicated show would go its own way.

The current Captain Carter comic isn't just repeating Steve's narrative so I see no reason why a show would be any different.
    Well at least an actual series would behoove the need for giving her more than just Steve's best hits, even if they'll probably lean into her being as effective a Captain (more or less).
    Exactly. But while I'm very much enjoying her series, it seems as if some are upset that she's appearing in any comics at all.
    (Well, her use in Ta-Nehisi Coates' Cap run felt like a bit much to me...)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but by that point he's already been depicted or built up to be a different person and character than Tony. I'm not even sure the Armor Wars will make him as obsessed as they did Tony in the comics.

It's not like in What If where it was basically the same stories and lines with Steve, except with Peggy.
    Sure, but it hit entirely differently because Peggy is such a distinct personality from Steve. And it's not like this was her first appearance or anything. We already really knew who Peggy was from the very second she appeared in that first What If? episode.

(Well, her use in Ta-Nehisi Coates' Cap run felt like a bit much to me...)
    I enjoyed it. Although I do think it would have been more interesting if they hadn't deaged Sharon. Seems like such a cop out.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Sure, but it hit entirely differently because Peggy is such a distinct personality from Steve. And it's not like this was her first appearance or anything. We already really knew who Peggy was from the very second she appeared in that first What If? episode.
    I felt like it would've hit harder had that difference in personality meant any substantial differences in the narrative or events, but it didn't. I kept waiting all season for the shoe to drop to show the differences between her and Steve with the roles switched, but it never really happened to a significant degree. She and Widow even banter about the exact same thing.
    I enjoyed it. Although I do think it would have been more interesting if they hadn't deaged Sharon. Seems like such a cop out.
    Well, Sharon being old was always a weird story beat by Remender that only really made sense with Steve being old. If he got to be young again, I don't see why she can't.

Astonishing Member

I felt like it would've hit harder had that difference in personality meant any substantial differences in the narrative or events, but it didn't. I kept waiting all season for the shoe to drop to show the differences between her and Steve with the roles switched, but it never really happened to a significant degree. She and Widow even banter about the exact same thing.
    I can't speak to your experience, but it was something I definitely saw just in their backgrounds alone.

Well, Sharon being old was always a weird story beat by Remender that only really made sense with Steve being old. If he got to be young again, I don't see why she can't.
    But that's the thing. Two old people and two young people is such the pedestrian route to go. Why not mix it up a little bit? Especially with a May/December type romance where the woman is significantly older than the man, which (let's face it) something you almost never see anywhere.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I can't speak to your experience, but it was something I definitely saw just in their backgrounds alone.
    That's the thing. I was expecting because of their background that they would be much different from each other but it never really came across all that much.

Maybe it would have to in an actual series dedicated to her.
    But that's the thing. Two old people and two young people is such the pedestrian route to go. Why not mix it up a little bit? Especially with a May/December type romance where the woman is significantly older than the man, which (let's face it) something you almost never see anywhere.
    I can't argue the age difference didn't make it unique but I don't think it fit Sharon's character or was all that necessary. It didn't effect her relationship with Steve at all and it's not like she "naturally" grew old (any more than she was "naturally" made young again.

Let's not get so worked up about some unconfirmed rumors.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member

That's the thing. I was expecting because of their background that they would be much different from each other but it never really came across all that much.
    I think we got that. But again, I can't speak to your experience.

Maybe it would have to in an actual series dedicated to her.
    Well, hopefully it will work for you better then.

I can't argue the age difference didn't make it unique but I don't think it fit Sharon's character or was all that necessary. It didn't effect her relationship with Steve at all and it's not like she "naturally" grew old (any more than she was "naturally" made young again.
    But it kind of did effect their relationship. She says as much in the first arc of the last series. It would have been nice if they would have explored that a little more.

But it kind of did effect their relationship. She says as much in the first arc of the last series. It would have been nice if they would have explored that a little more.
    It didn't feel like it would though because their personalities and relationship dynamic basically felt the same. I think maybe Steve felt a little guilty about it?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Let's not get so worked up about some unconfirmed rumors.
    Hello. First day on the internet?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

It didn't feel like it would though because their personalities and relationship dynamic basically felt the same. I think maybe Steve felt a little guilty about it?
    Sharon also felt inadequate. Exploring these mutual feelings I think could've led to some very interesting stories regarding their relationship dynamics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Hello. First day on the internet?
    Ha!

10 characters.

Sharon also felt inadequate. Exploring these mutual feelings I think could've led to some very interesting stories regarding their relationship dynamics.
    Which is weird because she was more often than not portrayed as being as capable as she was when she was young, or at least they often didn't call to attention much difference.

Astonishing Member

Which is weird because she was more often than not portrayed as being as capable as she was when she was young, or at least they often didn't call to attention much difference.
    Well, she mostly felt inadequate as a romantic partner for Steve because of her then advanced age if I'm remembering correctly. It's like this podcast I've been listening to where the hosts dive in head first into franchises they've never seen before. Currently, they're doing the MCU and when they did Winter Soldier, they commented that that scene where Steve visited Peggy in the retirement home would have to be a nightmare for any woman in the sense that while you're a senior citizen, your ex is still young and hot.

Well, she mostly felt inadequate as a romantic partner for Steve because of her then advanced age if I'm remembering correctly. It's like this podcast I've been listening to where the hosts dive in head first into franchises they've never seen before. Currently, they're doing the MCU and when they did Winter Soldier, they commented that that scene where Steve visited Peggy in the retirement home would have to be a nightmare for any woman in the sense that while you're a senior citizen, your ex is still young and hot.
    I remember from Spencers' take she kind of joked about it and it didn't seem to bother them that much.

I guess cinematically Peggy won in the long-run...

Astonishing Member

I remember from Spencers' take she kind of joked about it and it didn't seem to bother them that much.
    *shrugs* Apparently Coates had a different take. Still kinda wish he would've kept her advanced age around longer, though.

I guess cinematically Peggy won in the long-run...
    One thing I think a lot of people sometimes forget is that unlike comics, you can't necessarily create chemistry between two characters with just pen and ink in movies. Dealing with real people tends to complicate that.