Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    *shrugs* Apparently Coates had a different take. Still kinda wish he would've kept her advanced age around longer, though.
    I was surprised it wasn't undone sooner to be honest.
    One thing I think a lot of people sometimes forget is that unlike comics, you can't necessarily create chemistry between two characters with just pen and ink in movies. Dealing with real people tends to complicate that.
    I know, granted they didn't really try with Sharon in the MCU.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was surprised it wasn't undone sooner to be honest.
    It would've been a shame if it had.

I know, granted they didn't really try with Sharon in the MCU.
    Eh, I don't know. Just with a few scenes in TFA it seemed pretty effortless with Atwell. Even that kiss in CW seemed like it was more sparklers than fireworks.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

It would've been a shame if it had.
    It was already inconsistently depicted art-wise .
    Eh, I don't know. Just with a few scenes in TFA it seemed pretty effortless with Atwell. Even that kiss in CW seemed like it was more sparklers than fireworks.
    Yeah, but like they actually put the work into Peggy and Steve interacting and developing their relationship, none of which was really given to Sharon because the plot took over and Black Widow became Steve's main spy partner.

If they had dedicated a movie to building them and Sharon's character up and it didn't hit audiences, I could be more understanding, but they didn't.

Extraordinary Member

It was already inconsistently depicted art-wise .
    Well, considering everyone in comics is depicted as young and sexy with the exception of Aunt May, this isn't necessarily surprising.

Yeah, but like they actually put the work into Peggy and Steve interacting and developing their relationship, none of which was really given to Sharon because the plot took over and Black Widow became Steve's main spy partner.

If they had dedicated a movie to building them and Sharon's character up and it didn't hit audiences, I could be more understanding, but they didn't.
    Honestly, I felt more between Steve and Peggy in that one look Peggy gave Steve when he figured out how to retrieve the flag at the beginning of TFA than I did throughout all of Steve and Sharon's interactions combined.

From what I gather from a lot of your posts, you like to see things as skew as closely as possible in comic book adaptations, but like I've said before, when you deal with real people as opposed to artist renderings, you're not always going to get the same results.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Honestly, I felt more between Steve and Peggy in that one look Peggy gave Steve when he figured out how to retrieve the flag at the beginning of TFA than I did throughout all of Steve and Sharon's interactions combined.

From what I gather from a lot of your posts, you like to see things as skew as closely as possible in comic book adaptations, but like I've said before, when you deal with real people as opposed to artist renderings, you're not always going to get the same results.
    I just don't think it's a fair comparison because they never really put in the effort for Sharon or her and Steve's relationship. Steve honestly spent the least time interacting with her of anyone in his supporting cast in those Cap movies. Maybe they didn't have the exact same immediate chemistry, but they didn't really get to explore their dynamic and relationship much.

I just think if something works great in the comics and a certain character are undeserved or not done justice in an adaption, it's a bit of a shame.

Extraordinary Member

I just don't think it's a fair comparison because they never really put in the effort for Sharon or her and Steve's relationship. Steve honestly spent the least time interacting with her of anyone in his supporting cast in those Cap movies. Maybe they didn't have the exact same immediate chemistry, but they didn't really get to explore their dynamic and relationship much.
    Honestly, it just wouldn't've seemed worth it to me considering the chemistry that was already present. Plus, they had that hurdle of them actually making Sharon Peggy's niece in the movies, which is still kind of icky in the comics. It literally just creeped out every person whom I've heard talk about this fact.

I just think if something works great in the comics and a certain character are undeserved or not done justice in an adaption, it's a bit of a shame.
    I agree. But I also think it's worth considering that (like I said) not everything translates as well as we'd like.

Honestly, it just wouldn't've seemed worth it to me considering the chemistry that was already present. Plus, they had that hurdle of them actually making Sharon Peggy's niece in the movies, which is still kind of icky in the comics. It literally just creeped out every person whom I've heard talk about this fact.

I agree. But I also think it's worth considering that (like I said) not everything translates as well as we'd like.
    I mean, if you don't think you could have accepted anyone for Steve but Peggy (which I know there are certainly those that feel that way), then there probably wouldn't have been any point, but I think Steve deserved to move on...they just didn't go in that direction.

If they had set Sharon up better and done a good romance arc, I don't think it would've been an issue. But the MCU's got a pretty spotty track record on that.

Extraordinary Member

I mean, if you don't think you could have accepted anyone for Steve but Peggy (which I know there are certainly those that feel that way), then there probably wouldn't have been any point, but I think Steve deserved to move on...they just didn't go in that direction.
    I mean, they tried. It just didn't stick as well. More than that, though, I think Steve deserved to be happy. And at the end of the day, it was certainly clear that he was.

If they had set Sharon up better and done a good romance arc, I don't think it would've been an issue. But the MCU's got a pretty spotty track record on that.
    Getting back to the different mediums, despite the number of movies they've released, the MCU doesn't have all the time in the world to set up a romance with Sharon unlike the comics. All of her appearances with Steve really couldn't compare to a few scenes with Peggy. They had to make a choice and they clearly chose the route they knew already worked.

Would I have chose a different path than what they set Sharon down in the MCU? Probably. But at the same time, considering everything that's happened to the character, it kind of makes sense, too.

I mean, they tried. It just didn't stick as well. More than that, though, I think Steve deserved to be happy. And at the end of the day, it was certainly clear that he was.
    I think the point of contention is whether they even tried at all. Especially in comparison to, say, Peggy and Natasha's screentime. Wanda got more to do in a Captain America movie than Sharon Carter did.

I just think it kind of misses the point to say Cap's happy ending has to be in the past instead of the present.
    Getting back to the different mediums, despite the number of movies they've released, the MCU doesn't have all the time in the world to set up a romance with Sharon unlike the comics. All of her appearances with Steve really couldn't compare to a few scenes with Peggy. They had to make a choice and they clearly chose the route they knew already worked.

Would I have chose a different path than what they set Sharon down in the MCU? Probably. But at the same time, considering everything that's happened to the character, it kind of makes sense, too.
    She barely had any scenes with Steve, and certainly not a lot to foster an actual romance arc. And then they basically completely screwed up her character afterwards for a lame twist.

In Winter Soldier I thought Sharon was just an easter egg for comic fans and they were going with Steve and Nat then AOU happened and I'm like well guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    In Winter Soldier I thought Sharon was just an easter egg for comic fans and they were going with Steve and Nat then AOU happened and I'm like well guess not.
    I thought it was just establishing her and setting her up for a bigger role in Cap 3 and then...that didn't happen.

spoilers:
    I mean, Clea didn't finally meet Dr. Strange until an ending tag in his second movie.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

I think the point of contention is whether they even tried at all.
    I honestly don't even think it was worth the effort when you get more sparks out of Peggy and Steve out of one scene than even the kiss from Sharon and Peggy. Again, they only have so much time.

I just think it kind of misses the point to say Cap's happy ending has to be in the past instead of the present.
    Like Professor Hulk said re time travel in Endgame: "when traveling to the past, it becomes your future." Or something like that.

She barely had any scenes with Steve, and certainly not a lot to foster an actual romance arc. And then they basically completely screwed up her character afterwards for a lame twist.
    See my above comment. Also, it was that over not using her at all. In this case, since it gave a working actress a job, I'm content with the direction they decided to go with.

I honestly don't even think it was worth the effort when you get more sparks out of Peggy and Steve out of one scene than even the kiss from Sharon and Peggy. Again, they only have so much time.
    I mean, the main reason that kiss fell flat is that they barely spent time developing the relationship and or Sharon's character at all. I get that they only had so much time but I acknowledge that lead to them barely being able to do Sharon justice, which I feel is fair to call out.
    Like Professor Hulk said re time travel in Endgame: "when traveling to the past, it becomes your future." Or something like that.
    That just about sums up Steve's MCU arc. He never got over the past and decided to stay there again...
    See my above comment. Also, it was that over not using her at all. In this case, since it gave a working actress a job, I'm content with the direction they decided to go with.
    Well, on a base level, it's nice that she got work and that they even bothered to include her at all, but that doesn't mean they used her well. Or that it was fair that they try to spin her aunt as a bigger deal when that was kind of supposed to be Sharon's territory.

Extraordinary Member

I mean, the main reason that kiss fell flat is that they barely spent time developing the relationship and or Sharon's character at all. I get that they only had so much time but I acknowledge that lead to them barely being able to do Sharon justice, which I feel is fair to call out.
    Eh, it's not the only reason, but clearly we saw different things.

That just about sums up Steve's MCU arc. He never got over the past and decided to stay there again...
    Generally one only really has to get over things if there is no hope to ever regain them. The introduction of time travel in the MCU reignited hope in a lot of things.

Well, on a base level, it's nice that she got work and that they even bothered to include her at all, but that doesn't mean they used her well. Or that it was fair that they try to spin her aunt as a bigger deal when that was kind of supposed to be Sharon's territory.
    Again, this is where comics and movies are different mediums comes in. What works in one doesn't always work in the other.

Eh, it's not the only reason, but clearly we saw different things.
    I think it's more that we didn't get to see enough to really see much of anything, at least comparative to the vast difference in screentime and role between the two Carters.
    Generally one only really has to get over things if there is no hope to ever regain them. The introduction of time travel in the MCU reignited hope in a lot of things.
    I feel like it defeats the point of Steve learning to live in the present and make a life there that he wouldn't need to go back to the past, although I guess it was different for MCU Steve.
    Again, this is where comics and movies are different mediums comes in. What works in one doesn't always work in the other.
    Or a character that is used well in one medium isn't necesarilly used or depicted well in another.