Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    One or two could be fun, but to have a Justice League 3000 2.0 would take away part of the interest and charm of the Legion. Not everything should be related to the Justice League, thank you.
    Noew, if one of those descendant or analogs become a villian in a twisted interpratetion of what hero means for him or her...
    You're taking it too literally. I'm not talking JL3000, just a little bit of characterization where we see different Legionnaires be inspired by or identify with different modern heroes.(not take their mantles or emulate their powers or anything) To demonstrate that they're really big fans the way we are. (and I didn't say just the JLA)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-22-2022 at 08:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

Hm. Who is the woman standing next to Mon-el in the matching outfit? Is it Kara. I had heard that she is Super Woman?Have always been fuzzy on the characters of Sensor Girl, Laurel Kent and Andromeda.I’m inclined to think it’s another Daxamite. Please enlighten me?
    Last edited by Photon Torme; 05-23-2022 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    Hm. Who is the woman standing next to Mon-el in the matching outfit? Is it Kara. I had heard that she is Super Girl? Have always been fuzzy on the characters of Sensor Girl, Laurel Kent and Andromeda.I’m inclined to think it’s another Daxamite. Please enlighten me?
    It is Laurel Gand in her early Mon-el suit.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    It is Laurel Gand in her early Mon-el suit.
    Okay, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    Hm. Who is the woman standing next to Mon-el in the matching outfit? Is it Kara. I had heard that she is Super Woman?Have always been fuzzy on the characters of Sensor Girl, Laurel Kent and Andromeda.I’m inclined to think it’s another Daxamite. Please enlighten me?
    Sensor Girl - Secretly Princess Projectra, simulating multiple super powers while in disguise.

Laurel Kent - Initially presented as the 30th Century descendant of Clark and Lois whose partially krypton ian genes provide her invulnerability and no other powers. Later revealed to be a humanoid manhunter android mole and not a Kent after all.

Andromeda/Laurel Gand. A Daxamite proxy for Supergirl (who was no longer part of the Legion's continuity at the time but a character who was needed to explain certain adventures).

That is wrong. The post Zero Hour Legion chage the attention from Superman to the age of heroes in general. So it was not something new.

Attachment 121288
    I know a lot of purists think the Superman connection is essential, but I really liked this shift that the Post-Zro-Hour reboot provided. I think it made a LOT of sense.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    You're taking it too literally. I'm not talking JL3000, just a little bit of characterization where we see different Legionnaires be inspired by or identify with different modern heroes.(not take their mantles or emulate their powers or anything) To demonstrate that they're really big fans the way we are. (and I didn't say just the JLA)
    I think I don't understand exactly what you do mean. Like... to have a tamarean member who spoke how about in the past there was a warrior queen who was a superhero on earth for a time? Something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I know a lot of purists think the Superman connection is essential, but I really liked this shift that the Post-Zro-Hour reboot provided. I think it made a LOT of sense.

Peace
    At least the Zero Hour Legion showed than Superman needs the Legion more than the Legion needs Superman. Something than Johns' "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes" also confirmed.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I think I don't understand exactly what you do mean. Like... to have a tamarean member who spoke how about in the past there was a warrior queen who was a superhero on earth for a time? Something like that?
    I really only meant that rather than have them all worship Superman, some of them have other favorites, the way fans do. I know Waid touched upon this in his run, but if let's say, Ultra Boy admired Hal Jordan's style and loved that he was a pilot, or Shrinking Violet became a crime solver because she loved that Flash was a CSI - just a little sprinkling of things like that, for a little flavor, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I really only meant that rather than have them all worship Superman, some of them have other favorites, the way fans do. I know Waid touched upon this in his run, but if let's say, Ultra Boy admired Hal Jordan's style and loved that he was a pilot, or Shrinking Violet became a crime solver because she loved that Flash was a CSI - just a little sprinkling of things like that, for a little flavor, that's all.
    Oh, that. That seems a clever idea.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

So I grabbed Paul Levitz second run on LOSH 1 - 63 and DnA Legion 1 - 35 along with the two Legion of Superheroes trades they have from DnA. Any other runs I should look into?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    So I grabbed Paul Levitz second run on LOSH 1 - 63 and DnA Legion 1 - 35 along with the two Legion of Superheroes trades they have from DnA. Any other runs I should look into?
    I think any of the stories illustrated by Dave Cockrum in the early 70s are worth a look. Even if you don't like all of his designs (and a few of the outfits from his run were actually designed by fans -- Saturn Girl, Duo Damsel, and Light Lass), his artwork is arguably the best the Legion has ever seen (and surpassed some of his X-Men work due to inferior inkers -- Dave inked most of his work for Legion with exception of the Colossal Boy/Shrinking Violet story ins Superboy #202. Giffen was great at modernizing tech, but I don't think he was as good with anatomy, faces, and costume design as Cockrum. The stories from the Cockrum era aren't bad, but they gear towards a younger audience. The change to Timber Wolf, the introduction and return of Wildfire, and the Fatal Five stories are my favorites from that era.

The much longer Mike Grell era that follows was hit or miss with me. I think Mike's best issue was his first, and it featured the death of Invisible Kid I. I also liked the issue where Ultra Boy was apparently possessed. Insect Queen was a guest-star in that issue. The post Grell era had some great stuff as well. Introduction of Dawnstar and death of Chemical King are highlights. You could probably find these digitally.

If you want to go really old school (Silver Age), I recommend the following stories (not sure of the titles). Computo's first appearance (two issues), Modru's first appearance (two issues), death and return of of Lightning Lad (two or threee issues), Super Stalag of Outer Space (I think it's two issues, but it may have been one), first appearance of Fatal Five, sacrifice of Ferro Lad, and Evillo/Devil's Dozen. Most of these were reprinted in the Bronze Age - which is probably why I have such great affection for them.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think any of the stories illustrated by Dave Cockrum in the early 70s are worth a look. Even if you don't like all of his designs (and a few of the outfits from his run were actually designed by fans -- Saturn Girl, Duo Damsel, and Light Lass), his artwork is arguably the best the Legion has ever seen (and surpassed some of his X-Men work due to inferior inkers -- Dave inked most of his work for Legion with exception of the Colossal Boy/Shrinking Violet story ins Superboy #202. Giffen was great at modernizing tech, but I don't think he was as good with anatomy, faces, and costume design as Cockrum. The stories from the Cockrum era aren't bad, but they gear towards a younger audience. The change to Timber Wolf, the introduction and return of Wildfire, and the Fatal Five stories are my favorites from that era.

The much longer Mike Grell era that follows was hit or miss with me. I think Mike's best issue was his first, and it featured the death of Invisible Kid I. I also liked the issue where Ultra Boy was apparently possessed. Insect Queen was a guest-star in that issue. The post Grell era had some great stuff as well. Introduction of Dawnstar and death of Chemical King are highlights. You could probably find these digitally.

If you want to go really old school (Silver Age), I recommend the following stories (not sure of the titles). Computo's first appearance (two issues), Modru's first appearance (two issues), death and return of of Lightning Lad (two or threee issues), Super Stalag of Outer Space (I think it's two issues, but it may have been one), first appearance of Fatal Five, sacrifice of Ferro Lad, and Evillo/Devil's Dozen. Most of these were reprinted in the Bronze Age - which is probably why I have such great affection for them.
    Looks like Cockrum and Grell fall in the gap of what I have sadly. I have the 3 Silver Age omnibus as I read and enjoyed the first one when it came out, but had not gotten around to the others. I read Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 1 so I grabbed the second volume of that, but still need to read it. I read Great Darkness so I grabbed the recent Before the Darkness along with the Curse. So I think I have most of the old stuff outside of that gap that looks like are only collected in the archived books. I will have to hunt those down on Ebay, but finally doing long term Legion reading and have a lot to go.

In between Levitz's first run you had about two years of Gerry Conway in the early 80's.

I own a lot of the back issues and remember liking it a lot, because if I recall correctly, he focused on different legionairres than Levitz.

Also in addition to Carmine Infantino, it appears that legendary writer Steve Ditko did some of the art during this period...which is kind of cool.

https://www.amazon.ca/Legion-Super-H.../dp/1779510772

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    In between Levitz's first run you had about two years of Gerry Conway in the early 80's.

I own a lot of the back issues and remember liking it a lot, because if I recall correctly, he focused on different legionairres than Levitz.

Also in addition to Carmine Infantino, it appears that legendary writer Steve Ditko did some of the art during this period...which is kind of cool.

https://www.amazon.ca/Legion-Super-H.../dp/1779510772
    I grabbed both the Before Darkness vols saw Conway and JM DeMatties on them love them both so had to grab them.

I grabbed both the Before Darkness vols saw Conway and JM DeMatties on them love them both so had to grab them.
    Yes, DeMatties is pretty cool to. Good old Justice League Detroit. Glad you picked up the volumes, cheers.