Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    For me, the interesting thing about Predators, it made me understand the concept of representation. I'm a middle age white American. There are only two Americans in that movie, the sociopath and the crazy guy. I could truly say, "That's what they mean by wanting some positive representation. Because this movie had none for me.
    Wait, I thought that was the two types of American that exist.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I think trying to create a cohesive narrative between the films is where they started running into trouble. Just my opinion though.
    That has not been attempted. In Predator 2 the Gary Busey(Gove hack squad) character makes a one/two sentence mention of the first film but it is a loose one. You get a pistol from The Old West given to Harrigan(Glover) and see an Alien skull. In Predators(3), which is on an alien world, there isn't a mention. In The Predator(4) there is line or two of dialogue but it is left at that.

There is no cohesive, tight narrative attempt to string the films together. At best there are Easter Egg lines letting the viewer know that in-universe there is a secret knowledge of the Predators.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Hard to think of a franchise that they've bungled worse than the Predator franchise. (though I'm sure there are some that manage to be worse)
    Highlander - like the whole thing after the first film is a cluster. This should've been a well thought out series but it clearly was not.
    Terminator - everything after Salvation is middling to crap. AT least up through Salvation (T4) a narrative path was still being played out.

I don't have Hulu but will see Prey when the opportunity is available to me. I really enjoy the Predator concept and until the 4th one they all were great to decent. Curious to see how this plays out. It's high tech space weapons vs bows/arrows/brawn/creativity
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    That has not been attempted. In Predator 2 the Gary Busey(Gove hack squad) character makes a one/two sentence mention of the first film but it is a loose one. You get a pistol from The Old West given to Harrigan(Glover) and see an Alien skull. In Predators(3), which is on an alien world, there isn't a mention. In The Predator(4) there is line or two of dialogue but it is left at that.

There is no cohesive, tight narrative attempt to string the films together. At best there are Easter Egg lines letting the viewer know that in-universe there is a secret knowledge of the Predators.
    Predator 2 was fully intended to be a direct sequel until they couldn't get Arnold back. Hence why they had to do the reference bit with Busey to establish the connection. The connection is enough to tie them together. Predators was intended to be a direct sequel to Predator, but they wisely decided against it.

The studio always wanted to link them together in some way, shape or form. But they really should have made each their own thing decades ago for the outset. Predator 2 shouldn't have even addressed the first. That was my argument.

Highlander - like the whole thing after the first film is a cluster. This should've been a well thought out series but it clearly was not.
    Well, it wasn't thought out because the first one was meant to be the only one. Hence why any future reboot should just expand on the first films story.

^^^^
    I'm just pointing out that the phrase "cohesive narrative between films" is incorrect. That's all.
    There is acknowledgement "in-universe" of government( US anyway) awareness. Top Secret, Need to Know but no deep dive narrative where one situation need reference another.

Now the studio may or may not have wanted more but I'm just referencing what is on film.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

Terminator - everything after Salvation is middling to crap. AT least up through Salvation (T4) a narrative path was still being played out.

I don't have Hulu but will see Prey when the opportunity is available to me. I really enjoy the Predator concept and until the 4th one they all were great to decent. Curious to see how this plays out. It's high tech space weapons vs bows/arrows/brawn/creativity

Predators actually does mention the original mission-Isabelle describes it in some detail.

During Busey's description the screens in his HQ show new footage of Anna on of the screens, reportedly there were new scenes of her being debriefed scripted and filmed but only a bit of the footage made it to the final cut.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Predators actually does mention the original mission-Isabelle describes it in some detail.

During Busey's description the screens in his HQ show new footage of Anna on of the screens, reportedly there were new scenes of her being debriefed scripted and filmed but only a bit of the footage made it to the final cut.
    It's been so long since I've seen Predators (watched it once when it came out). I was thinking they did make a mention, but wasn't 100% sure.

Incredible Member

Which will appear in this movie: the amulet that Billy wore in the first one, or the flintlock pistol that Harrigan was given in the second?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

Yep. Also, in The Predator, the spear from AvP is in the government lab. They also shot an ending where Ripley and/or an adult Newt was going to come out of the pod as sequel bait. And no, that wouldn't have made any goddamn sense.

During AvP they had talks with Arnold about him appearing at the end, he would have shown up in a chopper to pick up Sanaa Lathan.
    Last edited by Jared; 05-26-2022 at 04:38 PM.

There's actually a bit in the novel adaptation of the first film that Billy's Sioux ancestors had encountered the Predator before.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    During AvP they had talks with Arnold about him appearing at the end, he would have shown up in a chopper to pick up Sanaa Lathan.
    As nothing but a visual easter egg for the audience I'd have gone for that.

I like the idea that Prey could be loosely tied to Billy from OG Predator.

Mighty Member

BANNED

My rank list:

1- Predator (1987)

2- Predators (2010) - best sequel so far

3- Aliens vs Predator: Requiem (2007)

4- The Predator (2018)

5- Predator 2 (1990)

6- Alien vs Predator (2004)
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 06-07-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    I must say this looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Hulu Original....so....no parallel theatrical release?
    I don't have Hulu. I'd like to see this. It looks to have real potential to be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant 77 View Post
    My rank list:

1- Predator (1987)

4- The Predator (2018)

5- Predator 2 (1990)

My ranking

Predator
    Predator 2
    AVPR
    AVP
    Predators
    The Predator

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant 77 View Post
    My rank list:

1- Predator (1987)

4- The Predator (2018)

5- Predator 2 (1990)

Since I liked the original AVP over Requiem, I'm curious to know what you liked it more. (I really am asking out of curiosity and not trying to start any kind of flame war.)
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.