Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'd watch this for a dollar! or a theater near me...

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Rankings time, I'm game:

1. Predator
    2. Predators
    3. AvP
    4. Predator 2
    5. The Predator
    6. AvP 2: Requiem
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Drops tomorrow, Jeremy Jahns already has his review up.

Really looking forward to it.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Since I liked the original AVP over Requiem, I'm curious to know what you liked it more. (I really am asking out of curiosity and not trying to start any kind of flame war.)
    I'm curious too. I'd put AvP as #3 in the franchise, tbh.

This new film looks really good, though and gets back to the OG premise.

Seriously, thinking of getting Hulu (it's free the first month right?) just to watch this. Been reading the reviews and everyone is saying great things about it.

I've heard that there are going to be some shout out's the first films, maybe something directly from Predator 2. I think there will be connection with Predator. Maybe we see where Billy's necklace comes from.

Very excited about this.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Seriously, thinking of getting Hulu (it's free the first month right?) just to watch this. Been reading the reviews and everyone is saying great things about it.

I've heard that there are going to be some shout out's the first films, maybe something directly from Predator 2. I think there will be connection with Predator. Maybe we see where Billy's necklace comes from.

Very excited about this.
    It's really getting rave reviews, especially compared to the previous one.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    It's really getting rave reviews, especially compared to the previous one.
    THE Predator was just bad so not be snide but it wouldn't be hard to be better than that entry.
    I'm guessing on paper THE Predator read as a great concept but it was not executed that way.

I'm eager to see this but not adding another streamer just to do so. Now, I'd have gone to the theater but some suit(s) decide not to do a dual release.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

It was good, I enjoyed it, not up to snuff with the original obviously but definitely on the same tier as the other good Predator sequels like Predator 2 and Predators

Astonishing Member

I liked this. I think the time period aspect made it more primal. You didnt have the trappings of modern day. And the juxtaposition of predator's "alien futuristic" tech vs the more basic rudimentary weapons here worked for me. I thought Amber Midthunder could easily be a Dani Moonstar in a New Mutants project. I liked her.

I didn’t realise it was her from Legion at all until the end credits. Liked that it didn’t get bogged down in stupid gimmicks like the other sequels.

Ultimate Member

Watching it now. Fingers crossed it is as good as promised

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I liked this. I think the time period aspect made it more primal. You didnt have the trappings of modern day. And the juxtaposition of predator's "alien futuristic" tech vs the more basic rudimentary weapons here worked for me. I thought Amber Midthunder could easily be a Dani Moonstar in a New Mutants project. I liked her.
    I thought the exact same thing!

I liked it a good bit. Not sure I would have gone to the theater to see it, but it was definitely a good watch.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I'm really liking it. I would say my biggest issue is that I would have in fact loved to see it on the big screen rather than on Disney Plus. I mean I suppose some people have pretty impressive TV rooms, but I would have loved to see it on a screen the size of a house. I really liked the new Predator design too, I smell a commentary on the homogenization of North American indigenous cultures in Western media. Amber Midthunder is amazing.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Ultimate Member

Excellent addition to the franchise, IMO

Not perfect, mind but very enjoyable

Hi all. Just finished watching. My initial thoughts:

spoilers:

- Wow, the ingenuity and toughness of the Comanche were incredible. These were through lines that prevalent throughout the entire film. We see these qualities during the healing of the wounded Comanche, the initial encounter the Comanche have with the Predator, and especially Naru's final fight with the Predator. Naru impressed me with the fact that she had taken all of these observations and used them to her advantage. Indeed, when that final match started, and I saw her gain the upper hand, I asked myself who was the prey here.

There were times throughout the film I wondered how Naru would take down the Predator. But then I remember Dutch and Hartigan. They didn't need that much to kill it. Some pointy logs, rocks, and a sharp blade (a smart disk yes, but ultimately just a blade). Come to think of it, just like Hartigan, Naru used the Predator's own weapon against him.

- This was a stripped down Predator, different from previous ones. I agree with others, there was something more primal and rawer in this movie. No plasma caster, no power gauntlet, but it was cool to see the antecedents. We see the net gun and possibly a proto smart disk/explosive device.

- I wasn't as afraid of this film as previous Predators. Maybe it's because I'm a lot older watching this one that Predator 1 or 2. Where there tense moments? Some scenes edged on to that, but ultimately I wasn't as scared as I thought I'd be.

- Great shout out to "If it bleeds, we can kill it."

- I'm frustrated with the ending, mainly because of that one detail; the gun. Yep, I knew it was the same gun from Predator 2 as soon as I saw one of the fur trappers toss it to Naru, and I thought we'd see the backstory of how it ended up in the hands of that Elder Predator. Sadly, no, we don't get that. Just more questions.

- Was the acting the best? I'll just say it was okay.
    end of spoilers

So yes, I feel there could have been better in some parts, but overall very nice.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 08-05-2022 at 06:54 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."