Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Neat, there's a Comanche dub right on Disney+. That's fun.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I'm really liking it. I would say my biggest issue is that I would have in fact loved to see it on the big screen rather than on Disney Plus. I mean I suppose some people have pretty impressive TV rooms, but I would have loved to see it on a screen the size of a house. I really liked the new Predator design too, I smell a commentary on the homogenization of North American indigenous cultures in Western media. Amber Midthunder is amazing.
    I'd also have loved to see it in a big screen. But Prey was in the unfortunate position of having to follow up The Predator which bombed in theaters. Maybe if Prey cost a lot less to make and with good reviews/word of mouth currently Fox would have expected better box office results now. But the next unfortunate thing is Disney bought Fox and then started to juice their home services instead of theaters, to the point even a more family friendly movie like Chip N Dale wasn't released in theaters.

All in all getting a new Predator movie at all is still good. Maybe if viewership is high Disney could authorize the odd theater screening.

Haven't watched it but 10 Cloverfield Lane from the same director was great and given the couple reviews I've read from trusted sources I hope this puts Amber Midthunder on the map.
    Last edited by Wildling; 08-05-2022 at 08:22 PM.

The only worthy addition to the Predator franchise after the original, since I thought all the other sequels sucked.

Amber Midthunder was great, as was the guy who played her brother, Taabe (His final fight scene was epic).

Incredible Member

I enjoyed it. I'd put it neck and neck with Predators I na completion for third best of the franchise. I've come around on Predator 2 in recent years and consider it the
    second best now.

I would compare it to Predators in that it it's kind of dour throughout whereas 1 and 2 had a lot of fun action movie levity.

I'm no expert on 18th Century Commanche, but to me this movie looked authentic. It felt like a Native American movie that a Predator drops into, which is exactly what they should go for. The first one is an 80s action movie with the Predator interrupting.

Amber Midthunder was good. She does have to deliver a cliched female empowerment monologue toward thr end that was unnecessary. It's not like Arnold ever needed to say for the camera in the third act, "I must use brains instead of brawn". Trust the audience to get it.

Only the girl and her brother get any character development. I don't know why it's been so hard after thr first one to make a likeable group of protagonists so that the viewer cares when they die.

I expected the flintlock pistol would be in the movie ever since the setting was announced. But it seems to me thst they've overcomplicated its history by not having it end up where it logically should. It's not freaking Excalibur, it doesn't need to part or a whole 'nother adventure before it ends up on a Predator ship.

They shouldn't have directly quoted the famous tag line. It felt competley out of place with the tone.

I liked the look of the Predator and some new (old) weaponry. Toning down his gear was good idea. I didn't miss the plasma caster. But there's a set of bombs hecuses once that seemed out of place for this hunt. I guess he was just annoyed at that point. He has a tendency to stand there a lot and let foes shoot/claw/bite him, so thats his own fault.
    Last edited by Jared; 08-07-2022 at 02:37 PM.

I was lucky enough to get to watch this in a theatre for the premiere

I really liked it. I was already expecting a lot due to Trachtenberg’s involvement but he blew away any doubts I had within the first few minutes.

There were some really cool, brutal kills, and Amber Midthunder had a great physical presence in her role. The rest of the Comanche tribe were also fantastic.

The action was well choreographed and the last fight was very cool, with a nice little bit of strategy and wit.

The dog was just the best

The predator looked so cool, and I’m glad they made his weaponry primitive to go along with how primitive humanities weaponry was.

I hope all talent involved get more opportunities after this, because the reaction has been pretty great.

I forgot to mention that I originally didn't have any intention of watching Prey, as, similar to the Terminator series, the constant disappointing sequels soured me on the franchise.....Although the Terminator series had a decent 3-4 films before going downhill. I didn't bother watching the most recent Terminator film, even though people have been saying it was decent.

I ended up watching Prey because it got such good reviews, both via critics and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

I'm no expert on 18th Century Commanche, but to me this movie looked authentic. It felt like a Native American movie that a Predator drops into, which is exactly what they should go for. The first one is an 80s action movie with the Predator interrupting.

Amber Midthunder was good. She does have to deliver a cliched female empowerment monologue toward thr end that was unnecessary. It's no like Arnold needed to say for the camera in the thirdact, "I must use beains instead of brawn". Trust the audience to get it.

Only the girl and her brother get any character development. I don't know why it's been so hard after thr first one to make a likeable group of protagonists so that the viewer cares when they die.
    What I found surprising was the depiction of the French settlers/hunters. I'm sure there were some French assholes in America here or there, but the French were known for having good relations with the Natives. Unlike the Spanish and English, the French treated the Natives like human beings (Didn't view them as savages), many of the French learned the ways of the Natives (be it customs or hunting/tracking techniques), and marriage between the French and Natives was commonplace.

I thought the Native with black facepaint seemed interesting. I wish they would've developed his character a little more to fit with the characterization given to Naru & Taabe.

I've watched it twice today. I really enjoyed it. I agree with everyone who's saying it's the best since the original.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Aw man Prey is hard! I would have went to the theater to see this. No big score but the sound design was stull fantastic, so were all the visuals out on the plains and at night. The end isn't perfect, actually its a bit much and they went wild heavy on the Predator clicking sounds but if you dig that and the invisibility cloaking you're gonna get full.

As far as the franchise, Predator is damn near a perfect movie and that's an odd circumstance to follow. Predator 2 was the first R rated movie I ever saw at the theater and wasn't old enough for that so I'm kind of partial. The last third is what saves it. I didnt like Predators. I didn't like Topher Grace, or the fuckin' Predator dogs nor the idea of the game preserve. There will come a time to sit through The Predator but I'm not looking forward to that even. Prey puts some much deserved respect back on the franchise.

Something I realized after seeing The Batman, movie canon is it's own thing. I dug how this spoke to Predator and Predator 2, even when they improved on things from those two. Damn those Comanche braves took some brutal losses, they fought tough though. Them and the French actually got more licks in on the hunter than any of the poor bastaeds in any of the other movies. Now I'm gonna hear the Comanche dub, good movie!
    Last edited by Surf; 08-06-2022 at 08:50 PM.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

A couple of thoughts:

What I found surprising was the depiction of the French settlers/hunters. I'm sure there were some French assholes in America here or there, but the French were known for having good relations with the Natives. Unlike the Spanish and English, the French treated the Natives like human beings (Didn't view them as savages), many of the French learned the ways of the Natives (be it customs or hunting/tracking techniques), and marriage between the French and Natives was commonplace.
    Bro, that got to me as well! Totally agreed, the French were known as having good relations with the Native peoples, a lot better than the English. There were French who actually went to Native tribes and there was intermarriage. I believe many of the Metis up in Canada are descended from these marriages.

At the same time, maybe the the film is revealing a history that we don't know about? I'd like to know more about French and Native relations during this time.

I'm no expert on 18th Century Commanche, but to me this movie looked authentic. It felt like a Native American movie that a Predator drops into, which is exactly what they should go for.
    That long shot in the beginning when Naru walks through the village established that authenticity for me. Just a regular day in the village people doing normal things. I liked that.

Amber Midthunder was good. She does have to deliver a cliched female empowerment monologue toward thr end that was unnecessary. It's no like Arnold needed to say for the camera in the thirdact, "I must use beains instead of brawn". Trust the audience to get it.
    I'll say that the monologue before the final fight with the Predator felt a little off to me. Logically and story wise, I get it. She escaped being tied up and held captive by the fur trappers. She had just witnessed her brother sacrifice his life for her. But I didn't feel her anger afterwards in those particular scenes. The monologue didn't sell me on that anger either.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I figured the trappers were French because it would have been weird having English speakers unable to communicate with the Commanches that we are hearing as English speakers.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Pros and Cons, with some spoilers.

Pros:

-Amber Midthunder (badass name btw) is great.
    -Dakota Beavers is great.
    -The Predator on its killing spree against the French was sweet, and seeing the different weapons was awesome.
    -I really dig the fact that there wasn’t a traditional Plasma Caster used.
    -I liked the different cloaking.
    -Scenery and camera work was quite good.
    -The background works quite well. The setting, the costumes, etc….all great and looked authentic from my unprofessional eye.
    -The Comanche fight scenes are pretty sweet.

Cons:

-Weird editing at times. Like the scene where she’s pinned under the shield and somehow slides out when there wasn’t any room (clearly shown).
    -The layout of the land was weird. Everything seemed to be within a day of everywhere else, but between the buffalo killing field and the large chunk of burned out forest and the French trappers, it was hard to place where everything was supposed to be relative to each other.
    -That stupid flower that somehow made their body temperature so low the Pred couldn’t see them. That was straight up magic, especially how fast it worked (literally instantly).
    -The French we’re pointless. The addition of them added nothing to the story (aside from a cool fight against the Predator). The story would have been better if it had centered on the Comanche tribe vs the Predator instead of involving the French (who kind of just came out of nowhere, we’re jerks, and then got all killed but also had some dealing with the Predator because they burned down a bunch of forest and laid traps for it, which we are never shown). It felt like there was twenty minutes cut out explaining that.
    -The Gun was pointless. I enjoy a callback or Easter egg, but it didn’t really matter in the end.

Neutral:

I understand why some might think of Naru as a’woke’ character (the Comanche didn’t have female hunters/warriors from what I understand). For me, I was ok with it. Her being a hunter/warrior didn’t break anything for me, and Midthunder did a good job.

All in all, it was a fine Predator movie. Much better than the last schlock we got, that’s for darn sure. I hope they make another.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Awesome! Jesse Venture gave a shout out to Prey, Amber, and the director Dan Tractenberg:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/p...er-1235335517/
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    :

I understand why some might think of Naru as a’woke’ character (the Comanche didn’t have female hunters/warriors from what I understand). For me, I was ok with it. Her being a hunter/warrior didn’t break anything for me, and Midthunder did a good job.

If there's no history of female Commanche warriors, much less a War Chief, I think we have to infer that things went really badly for her village when more Predators arrive as rhe end credits indicate.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Awesome! Jesse Venture gave a shout out to Prey, Amber, and the director Dan Tractenberg:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/p...er-1235335517/
    Very nice of him.

I rank it the third best Predator film.

1. Predator: Well, duh.

2. Preadators: Adrien Brody; Topher Grace; Alice Braga; Walton Goggins; Laurence Fishburne?! And the story is engrossing? Second best

3. Prey: Welcome to the top three!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest