Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I really enjoyed it. Predator is one of my favorite movies of all time and I'm so happy we got a worthy sequel/prequel.

I loved how this Predator was more savage and willing to take hits. He wrestled a freaking bear!

I thought the cinematography was beautiful and I would have loved to have seen this in a theater. But I don't think Disney is going to let that happen.

https://www.polygon.com/23291993/pre...-hulu-theaters

"...according to Variety’s Adam B. Vary, before it was acquired by Disney, 20th Century Fox had a deal with HBO Max to stream all its theatrical releases there. This deal still applies for any films that originated before the Disney merger. This explains why recent 20th Century releases like Free Guy, Nightmare Alley, West Side Story, and Death on the Nile have appeared on HBO Max instead of, or as well as, Hulu or Disney Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Pros and Cons, with some spoilers.

Pros:

-Amber Midthunder (badass name btw) is great.
    -Dakota Beavers is great.
    -The Predator on its killing spree against the French was sweet, and seeing the different weapons was awesome.
    -I really dig the fact that there wasn’t a traditional Plasma Caster used.
    -I liked the different cloaking.
    -Scenery and camera work was quite good.
    -The background works quite well. The setting, the costumes, etc….all great and looked authentic from my unprofessional eye.
    -The Comanche fight scenes are pretty sweet.

Cons:

-Weird editing at times. Like the scene where she’s pinned under the shield and somehow slides out when there wasn’t any room (clearly shown).
    -The layout of the land was weird. Everything seemed to be within a day of everywhere else, but between the buffalo killing field and the large chunk of burned out forest and the French trappers, it was hard to place where everything was supposed to be relative to each other.
    -That stupid flower that somehow made their body temperature so low the Pred couldn’t see them. That was straight up magic, especially how fast it worked (literally instantly).
    -The French we’re pointless. The addition of them added nothing to the story (aside from a cool fight against the Predator). The story would have been better if it had centered on the Comanche tribe vs the Predator instead of involving the French (who kind of just came out of nowhere, we’re jerks, and then got all killed but also had some dealing with the Predator because they burned down a bunch of forest and laid traps for it, which we are never shown). It felt like there was twenty minutes cut out explaining that.
    -The Gun was pointless. I enjoy a callback or Easter egg, but it didn’t really matter in the end.

Neutral:

I understand why some might think of Naru as a’woke’ character (the Comanche didn’t have female hunters/warriors from what I understand). For me, I was ok with it. Her being a hunter/warrior didn’t break anything for me, and Midthunder did a good job.

All in all, it was a fine Predator movie. Much better than the last schlock we got, that’s for darn sure. I hope they make another.
    I agree with a lot of what you said here. While I overall loved the flick it did have its issues.

The scene with the shield as well as the final fight between Naru and the Predator had some weird moments. When the Predator's arm gets cut off and she tears off one of his mandibles, he didn't really flinch. I know he was tough but they should have had him react more to show that something crazy just happened. Give us a Predator screaming in pain moment! I had to rewind those scenes because his major injuries were just seemingly glossed over.

I felt the French trappers were ok. He had already killed a number of Camanche warriors so we got to see him take on another group with different weapons and tactics.

The magic flower was pretty silly, but I guess no worse than the Predator's weakness being mud. Btw, that doesn't work against infrared.

The gun was a cool callback. I'm wondering if that was the first time a human had managed to defeat a Predator so that's why that gun became something of a legendary artifact to their culture.

While Amber Midthunder was amazing, I felt the fight scene between her and the Camanche warrior didn't look that great. Even my girlfriend said that while it's awesome to see a woman kicking ass, there's no way a 120 lbs female with no real muscle definition is going to overpower a big guy like that. She should have kicked him in the balls to start the fight.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-08-2022 at 05:08 PM.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Oh, and I will say while cool in theory, the rope-axe…….doesn’t work that way. A tumbling weapon with added weight is not a good thing, and having watched a video of someone using it, accuracy and near perfect pull back to hand was not really a thing.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really enjoyed it. Predator is one of my favorite movies of all time and I'm so happy we got a worthy sequel/prequel.

I loved how this Predator was more savage and willing to take hits. He wrestled a freaking bear!

I thought the cinematography was beautiful and I would have loved to have seen this in a theater. But I don't think Disney is going to let that happen.

https://www.polygon.com/23291993/pre...-hulu-theaters

"...according to Variety’s Adam B. Vary, before it was acquired by Disney, 20th Century Fox had a deal with HBO Max to stream all its theatrical releases there. This deal still applies for any films that originated before the Disney merger. This explains why recent 20th Century releases like Free Guy, Nightmare Alley, West Side Story, and Death on the Nile have appeared on HBO Max instead of, or as well as, Hulu or Disney Plus.

I agree with a lot of what you said here. While I overall loved the flick it did have its issues.

The scene with the shield as well as the final fight between Naru and the Predator had some weird moments. When the Predator's arm gets cut off and she tears off one of his mandibles, he didn't really flinch. I know he was tough but they should have had him react more to show that something crazy just happened. Give us a Predator screaming in pain moment! I had to rewind those scenes because his major injuries were just seemingly glossed over.

I felt the French trappers were ok. He had already killed a number of Camanche warriors so we got to see him take on another group with different weapons and tactics.

The magic flower was pretty silly, but I guess no worse than the Predator's weakness being mud. Btw, that doesn't work against infrared.

The gun was a cool callback. I'm wondering if that was the first time a human had managed to defeat a Predator so that's why that gun became something of a legendary artifact to their culture.

While Amber Midthunder was amazing, I felt the fight scene between her and the Camanche warrior didn't look that great. Even my girlfriend said that while it's awesome to see a woman kicking ass, there's no way a 120 lbs female with no real muscle definition is going to overpower a big guy like that. She should have kicked him in the balls to start the fight.
    I was talking more the Comanche vs the Pred when she’s tied up.
    Last edited by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade; 08-08-2022 at 05:36 PM.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Astonishing Member

I thought it was a good flick. Surprised that 20th century/ Disney didn't release this into theaters. It would have made a good buck.

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

I thought it was really solid for a Predator movie. My problem with most of those movies after the first one is that they spend too much time on the Predators themselves, sacrificing development of the human characters. To me, the whole point of the franchise is pitting human beings against these ruthless, violent, and intelligent adversaries who hunt and kill for sport. It's really all about challenging the human superiority complex. I think the most interesting part of this movie is the protagonist, she is actually likable, we see enough of her interacting with animals, family, and companions, and her training on her own, where we can really root for her when she's up against these different villains. Most of the Predator protagonists are generally awful human beings, here we have someone who is fairly innocent and living through one of the most oppressive times in American history, her people have been decimated by "predators" from far away lands in the centuries past, and she is going up against the worst of the worst. I liked that the Yautja had a strict honor code, I loved his kills, I really liked the redesign as well. All in all this was great and endlessly rewatchable for me. I also appreciated that this wasn't positioned as some springboard for the franchise, there's no sequel or spin off bait, it's just a very cool one-off Predator story, and I would love to see other 80s franchises like Terminator for example take inspiration from this.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I thought it was really solid for a Predator movie. My problem with most of those movies after the first one is that they spend too much time on the Predators themselves, sacrificing development of the human characters. To me, the whole point of the franchise is pitting human beings against these ruthless, violent, and intelligent adversaries who hunt and kill for sport. It's really all about challenging the human superiority complex. I think the most interesting part of this movie is the protagonist, she is actually likable, we see enough of her interacting with animals, family, and companions, and her training on her own, where we can really root for her when she's up against these different villains. Most of the Predator protagonists are generally awful human beings, here we have someone who is fairly innocent and living through one of the most oppressive times in American history, her people have been decimated by "predators" from far away lands in the centuries past, and she is going up against the worst of the worst. I liked that the Yautja had a strict honor code, I loved his kills, I really liked the redesign as well. All in all this was great and endlessly rewatchable for me. I also appreciated that this wasn't positioned as some springboard for the franchise, there's no sequel or spin off bait, it's just a very cool one-off Predator story, and I would love to see other 80s franchises like Terminator for example take inspiration from this.
    - Predators are “honorable” as long as it suits them. When things go wrong, out come the bombs.

- I guess you didn’t see the Camanche pictographs during the end credits. They definitely leave it open for a sequel. Plus they have to explain how the Predators get that gun. If there’s money to be made, Disney will do it.

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

- Predators are “honorable” as long as it suits them. When things go wrong, out come the bombs.

- I guess you didn’t see the Camanche pictographs during the end credits. They definitely leave it open for a sequel. Plus they have to explain how the Predators get that gun. If there’s money to be made, Disney will do it.
    I disagree, I saw that more as guaranteeing the longevity of the franchise - like of course they are coming back, but I didn't see any indication they were actually building up to a supposed continuation. They don't have to explain the gun because we know at some point they do get it, so I think that's all the cave paintings were meant to show.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I loved this flick. Good Predator movies have a way of really making you feel the fear of being isolated and stalked, and I think this movie was the best of them all in that regard. The only thing that disappointed me was what a dick the Predator was.

spoilers:
    Taabe deserved a fair fight. Cloaking out and backstabbing him was cowardly.
    end of spoilers

He seemed less interested in gaining honor than in gaining "points." Hard not to hate someone like that.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I thought it was a good flick. Surprised that 20th century/ Disney didn't release this into theaters. It would have made a good buck.
    It seems to be a huge hit for Hulu though.

Yes, there is the possibility of a sequel. The ending credits with the drawings pointed to that. But I scratched my head thinking how would the sequel go. Okay, so the Predators come back, beat (or possibly kill off) Naru and her tribe and get the gun? Eh, that's a messy story. There might be more creative ways to do it, but still messy.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Guess I'm in the minority in hating "Predators". Can't stand Adrian Brody, Topher Grace is "meh" but then his weird heel turn and inclusion just seems pointless (other than to give Brody's character a single redeemable moment). Most of the characters seemed like paper-thin stereotypes, even Larry Fishburne seemed like he was mailing it in. Didn't care if a single character lived or died, and none of the deaths really "wow"ed me.

"the Predator" I agree was garbage, but it seemed to at least be having fun with it and not taking itself too seriously. Which for some people may have been the problem. Still rank the first one far and above, but I might have to think on Predator 2 vs Prey. Too soon, give it a few years.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    It seems to be a huge hit for Hulu though.

For sure. I wonder how they make these decision on what gets a theater release and what doesnt and why.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    For sure. I wonder how they make these decision on what gets a theater release and what doesnt and why.
    It's not a real mystery, Prey was part of the whole purchase of Fox by Disney and the timing for that meant Prey wouldn't have gone from theaters to a Disney-owned platform, but HBO Max IIRC.

So Disney would have needed to go out of their way to negotiate a deal with them to maximize Prey's presence in their own streaming channel after theaters.

And because the last Predator movie was a flop, Disney probably didn't want to take their chances, depending on what Prey's budget was. If it was a lot lower than The Predator and with the current reception, maybe it could have been a hit in theaters. But you also have to consider Brad Pitt's Bullet Train and Nope would have directly competed against it as well, if we're talking about Prey being released in theaters right now, and a bunch of new horror movies coming out soon would also nip at its heels.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Guess I'm in the minority in hating "Predators". Can't stand Adrian Brody, Topher Grace is "meh" but then his weird heel turn and inclusion just seems pointless (other than to give Brody's character a single redeemable moment). Most of the characters seemed like paper-thin stereotypes, even Larry Fishburne seemed like he was mailing it in. Didn't care if a single character lived or died, and none of the deaths really "wow"ed me.

"the Predator" I agree was garbage, but it seemed to at least be having fun with it and not taking itself too seriously. Which for some people may have been the problem. Still rank the first one far and above, but I might have to think on Predator 2 vs Prey. Too soon, give it a few years.
    Predators grew on me. I saw it in-theater when it premiered and was disappointed but repeat viewings on F/X over the years have warmed me up to it. It's kind of the opposite of the first movie, where instead of rooting for the humans, you're watching a bunch of irredeemable scumbags get what they've got coming to them. It's blackhearted enough not to change the nature of the Predators to "heroic" but it's still satisfying to see serial killers, drug runners, rapists, and mercenary scum get hunted down like animals. Even Hanzo, ostensibly the coolest member of the cast, deserves his fate if one is inclined to do any reading on what the Yakuza are really like outside of their media friendly image. (Human trafficking sex criminals.)
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Wow, the movie is even better with the Camanche dub!