Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Yes, there is the possibility of a sequel. The ending credits with the drawings pointed to that. But I scratched my head thinking how would the sequel go. Okay, so the Predators come back, beat (or possibly kill off) Naru and her tribe and get the gun? Eh, that's a messy story. There might be more creative ways to do it, but still messy.
    Yeah that was depressing. Oh look they have the gun! That means...the predators came back slaughtered everyone and took the gun.

While we are talking about the Predator, can someone explain to me why a badass alien hunter with advanced tech and a ship capable of lightspeed....hunts humans? Really? You're hunting us? I hate to say it but I look at the Predator the same way I look at that dentist that paid 50,000 cash so he could shoot a lion that he knew could not harm him. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill...Cecil_the_lion. Now I'm not claiming to know what the Predator's real job is, but if we found out that back home on his planet he was a dentist or copyright lawyer would it shock you? No. No it would not.

Now I know what you are about to say "but humans have killed Predators!" . That doesn't mean that the humans were awesome it means that the Predator was lame. If someone tried to kill a Chihuahua and the Chihuahua killed them that doesn't mean the Chihuahua was a badass it means that you were a sad excuse for a human being.

Plus the Predators all have dreadlocks which I'm pretty sure is a form of cultural appropriation.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

I agree they seem like intergalactic Trump-sons, getting their kicks killing things that shouldn't be a challenge given their tech and stealth and obvious physical advantages. Still, got to have a monster. Xenomorphs are boring individually, it's the mindless relentless predatory threat that makes them interesting. But yeah, nothing to admire. Less so with the Predators, as it's "sport".

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

On page 1 I said "Probably won't be seeing this. The reviews would have to be stellar."....so I guess I definitely will see this at some point! Probably when the blu/dvd comes out, which I believe is November.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Yeah that was depressing. Oh look they have the gun! That means...the predators came back slaughtered everyone and took the gun.

While we are talking about the Predator, can someone explain to me why a badass alien hunter with advanced tech and a ship capable of lightspeed....hunts humans? Really? You're hunting us? I hate to say it but I look at the Predator the same way I look at that dentist that paid 50,000 cash so he could shoot a lion that he knew could not harm him. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill...Cecil_the_lion. Now I'm not claiming to know what the Predator's real job is, but if we found out that back home on his planet he was a dentist or copyright lawyer would it shock you? No. No it would not.

Now I know what you are about to say "but humans have killed Predators!" . That doesn't mean that the humans were awesome it means that the Predator was lame. If someone tried to kill a Chihuahua and the Chihuahua killed them that doesn't mean the Chihuahua was a badass it means that you were a sad excuse for a human being.

Plus the Predators all have dreadlocks which I'm pretty sure is a form of cultural appropriation.
    Yautja are not just touching down on earth and picking off humans at random. Wherever they go they are usually looking for one specific target, and eliminating all those around the target in order to psychologically weaken them. How effectively they do this determines the importance of the final showdown, and since the whole thing is a sport to the Yautja, it doesn't matter if the human is "strong enough." They hunt all manner of creatures on all worlds, and it's not always about the physical challenge, but the hunt itself. Also, while they resemble dreadlocks, they are flesh growths and not hair.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Yautja are not just touching down on earth and picking off humans at random. Wherever they go they are usually looking for one specific target, and eliminating all those around the target in order to psychologically weaken them. How effectively they do this determines the importance of the final showdown, and since the whole thing is a sport to the Yautja, it doesn't matter if the human is "strong enough." They hunt all manner of creatures on all worlds, and it's not always about the physical challenge, but the hunt itself. Also, while they resemble dreadlocks, they are flesh growths and not hair.
    I...was not being serous LMAO. I thought the cultural appropriation joke at the end gave it away LOL.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 08-10-2022 at 07:06 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Pretty good film. Any complaints I have go away because we have a Predator fist fight a bear.

I...was not being serous LMAO. I thought the cultural appropriation joke at the end gave it away LOL.
    Sorry, it wasn't clear. Should have guessed from your SNW posts
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Overall, I liked this one. Definitely my top 3. The first movie was obviously my favorite. I might give the slightest edge to Predator 2 for the second spot.

SPOILERS

Pros:

World Building: Movie did a great job establishing the layout of the land, cultures, and characters
    Predator: Loved how this one was portrayed. Since it was a movie well over 200 years before the original, I liked the unique appearance and technology this one had. The actor also did a phenomenal job.
    Taabe: A well rounded character that tried to see all sides of story, the potential in others, a good warrior/brother, and man enough to admit his mistakes. He'd have made a great chief.
    Naru: A few cringe moments, but overall, a good job. Her character was young, had things to learn, but at the same time, her character was developed/experienced enough to take on those challenges.
    Naru's Dog: Who wouldn't want to adopt him?
    Action Scenes: Holy hell they were great. My favorite was the Predator vs Colonists. It was gory, creative, and at the same time kind of funny. The Comanche Fights have my vote for best choreographed.

Cons:

Final Fight: Cringe and Rushed. Naru had some heavy plot armor. Surviving two hits from a Predator wielding a shield that cut through rock like paper, the 1x1 fight itself, and how she bait the Predator was pretty bad
    Magic Flower: While I appreciate the writers finding a new way to counter the Predator's Sight, some flower that slowed the blood flow wasnt a good idea
    Rafael's Pistol: Hated the story behind this. The Darkhorse Comic that had the Elder Predator team up with a swashbuckler named Raphael, and have it given to him as a sign of respect was lightyears better than this.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 08-10-2022 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Overall, I liked this one. Definitely my top 3. The first movie was obviously my favorite. I might give the slightest edge to Predator 2 for the second spot.
    Reading your post made me take a second look at my list. I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure if this beats out Predator 2. I may have been suffering from recency bias.

The revamped list.

1. Predator.

2. Predators

3. Predator 2

4. Prey. Nothing to be ashamed of. Predator 2 barely squeaked by it.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Reading your post made me take a second look at my list. I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure if this beats out Predator 2. I may have been suffering from recency bias.
    It was a tough call between Prey and Predator 2. Prey was a great movie but I wasn't a fan of its ending. Predator 2 opened up so much possibilities and I remember being on the edge of my seat when Glover encountered several Predators! With Naru, I never had concern anything was going to happen to her.

But it was also that final fight was a huge let down. Dutch and Glover's Characters made a plan, but they knew there was a chance it wasn't going to work. Even for hard, grizzled characters like them, they were still afraid and didn't want to take the Predator head on unless they had to. With Naru...the fight was so one sided and I rolled my eyes with the outcome.

But that was my only real problem with Prey. Overall, I was surprised how great it turned out. If it had a better ending, I'd have definitely gave it the #2 spot
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 08-11-2022 at 09:27 AM.

My Predator listings goes

1: (Shocker) Predator 2 I actually love this film.

2: Predator.

3: Prey.

The rest I don't care about.

Incredible Member

I would rank them
    1. Predator
    2. Predator 2
    3. Prey
    4. Predators
    5. Alien vs Predator
    6. Aliens vs Predator: Requiem
    7. The Predator

Both 3--4 and 6-7 could switch places upon rewatch or depending on my mood, I suppose.

The very best Predator story since the original movie is the first Batman vs Predator.

Not everyone. Just the armed men and one woman.

Though Amber Midthunder was narrating the beginning liek it happened long ago, so maybe she survived again but lost or gave away the gun.

While we are talking about the Predator, can someone explain to me why a badass alien hunter with advanced tech and a ship capable of lightspeed....hunts humans? Really? You're hunting us? I hate to say it but I look at the Predator the same way I look at that dentist that paid 50,000 cash so he could shoot a lion that he knew could not harm him.
    Predators make a point to hunt us because we *can* hurt them. Obviously they could just plink us from their invisible spaceships or gear up with bulletproof armor...but instead they run around pretty much shirtless. They use a targeting laser that can give away their position.

Hell, this Predator chose to get into a fistfight with a grizzly bear! That's not the action of somebody taking the easy path to getting trophies.
    Last edited by Jared; 08-12-2022 at 02:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I just finished this and it was surprisingly good, like I'm stunned that this didn't get a theatrical release. I think what I liked the best was that the white hunters were French and all their dialogue was too so they were just as alien to the natives as the Predator. That probably wouldn't come across to French speaking viewers but it definitely seemed to be an intentional choice by the film makers.
    After having watched it a second time(this time in Comanche, which was cool to hear) about the only negative thing I can come up with is that the ending was (with out spoiling anything) a little anti-climactic. There was a cool little touch with the Comanche pictograms that hinted at more during the credits but it wasn't enough of a tease in my mind. And regarding the gun, I don't think it means they killed the tribe, I kind of figure they left the gun and the head behind as a warning when they moved on to safer ground. The pictogram end credits make it appear that other ships came down instantly I'm thinking that isn't the case...otherwise who drew the pictographs? It could be only some survived, but I'm an optimist so I'm going with they left the gun with the head at the site of their old village.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I liked it a lot. A lot of people have already said what I have to say, so I'll stick to a few points.
    Positives:
    -- It took time to build up the protagonist in a way that gave her a motivation other than survival.
    -- I like that her greatest asset was her ability to observe and extrapolate a plan based on her observations - it mae her actions more interesting and less reliant of simple action.
    Negatives:
    -- The biggest plot armor was for the dog. I know dogs are smart and loyal, but aside from the fact that it survived, it always came to save her just when she needed. It kinda stretched my suspension of disbelief.
    -- The final blow. That really broke my suspension of disbelief. I figured she'd use the helmet, but I thought it would just be one of the various traps she set up that would help her, but for the Predator to fall into the exact right spot, and decide to use that weapon in that moment, as opposed to any other moment is not only wildly lucky, it doesn't make sense that he would do it - does he not know how his own weapon works?? I thought at the very least she had figured a way to activate it, but all she had to do was try to trap him in that exact spot and know he'd be that exact height in the mud and hope he would try to use that weapon in that moment. Didn't ruin the movie for me, but I didn't buy that one.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I liked it a lot. A lot of people have already said what I have to say, so I'll stick to a few points.
    Positives:
    -- It took time to build up the protagonist in a way that gave her a motivation other than survival.
    -- I like that her greatest asset was her ability to observe and extrapolate a plan based on her observations - it mae her actions more interesting and less reliant of simple action.
    Negatives:
    -- The biggest plot armor was for the dog. I know dogs are smart and loyal, but aside from the fact that it survived, it always came to save her just when she needed. It kinda stretched my suspension of disbelief.
    -- The final blow. That really broke my suspension of disbelief. I figured she'd use the helmet, but I thought it would just be one of the various traps she set up that would help her, but for the Predator to fall into the exact right spot, and decide to use that weapon in that moment, as opposed to any other moment is not only wildly lucky, it doesn't make sense that he would do it - does he not know how his own weapon works?? I thought at the very least she had figured a way to activate it, but all she had to do was try to trap him in that exact spot and know he'd be that exact height in the mud and hope he would try to use that weapon in that moment. Didn't ruin the movie for me, but I didn't buy that one.
    That final one was definitely what I was thinking when I said I felt that the end was a little anticlimactic. It just fealt to neat, tidy, and convienient and ultimately it made it feel a little unearned.

One thing I did mention however: I absolutely loved the bone mask. It made for such a unique visual that read clearly as Predator but seemed more horrific looking than any of the other designs.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!