Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Immortal X-Men #2 Review/Spoilers

Everyone's dealing with the monster Selene created. Selene herself leaves for London, who offer her protection and tend to her needs. So it's up to the X-Men and the Council to fight the monster. Destiny's freaking out because of futures and reality warping. Doctor Nemesis calls and says that the beast is connected to multiple dimensions. Attacking it damages space in the area. Gateways and connections to Otherworld are in danger.

Exodus spots Hope on the ground, leading civilians away from the scene. He wants her to go somewhere where she'll be safe, but she refuses to leave anyone behind. Hope reveals that Exodus' power grows the more people believe in him, and she knew this when she first borrowed his powers. She doesn't want this messiah stuff, but if they combine their powers, work together and get the boost from people believing in Hope, they can win.

Meanwhile, Sinister talks to himself about how people think he's a joke, just because he makes jokes. But he's actually very strong and can give himself gifts. Using an experimental DNA from his early chimera prototypes, he turns himself into hulking kaiju version of himself. He drags the monster to the ocean, where it explodes. It'll reform, but it'll buy them time so others can save the day.

The Council have a mind-meeting to discuss the attack. They realize that Selene's actions weren't just petty, but proving a point: they are vulnerable to magic. They have to talk to her. Luckily, Cyclops already has several protocols in place to deal with things like Selene's monster, while the Council works.

Destiny has had a vision of Selene's future whereabouts, which she tells Hope. She also tells Hope that she sees Selene dying soon after. Hope knows what this means: she has precious little time to kill Selene. So she borrows Magik's powers to teleport there, then snipes Selene with an anti-magic mysterium bullet. Selene is revived on Krakoa, and Hope slaps her. In her weakened state, she's susceptible to Exodus' telepathy, allowing him to shut down the Kaiju. Then he snaps her neck.

The next day, Hope tells the Councils they she did what she had to do. The Council are pretty chill about it. Shaw says that Selene will get a trial once she's out of the resurrection queue. Sinister wonders if they should bring her back early and pick her brain, but Destiny advises against it. She ominously states that "We must be on the same side."

Destiny tells Mystique that she's been feeling queasy ever since that creature disrupted time and space. She hasn't felt like this since the time her powers first activated. She collapses and goes into hysterics. She's most likely getting a ton of visions, which she'll be writing down as more Destiny Diaries in the next issue.

Notes:
    • Cyclops has multiple, very specific protocols. He also has some notes about the ethical problems of harming kaiju. (see: "Misunderstood Kaiju.")
    • Exodus' potential is infinite because it grows based on how many people believe in him. But since Hellion doesn't have this limitation, and is already incredibly powerful on his own, I think that makes him a valid Omega Telekinetic candidate.
    • Selene fans: she may be gone, but have hope! They still plan on reviving her sometime. She'll likely be thrown into the Hole, but she can always escape. Believe in ya girl.
    • Exodus and Hope got some nice bonding moments this issue.
    Last edited by Rift; 05-18-2022 at 09:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Two words:

MUCH DESERVED!
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

This was really good. In general, I often get off-put by the forced importance of Hope which definitely happens here, but I still enjoyed it a lot, so that says something about Gillen's writing quality.

Chile, the way Selene was lobotomized and neck-snapped. I jumped.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

They're still vulnerable to magic. But at least they came up with an anti magic plot device to dispose of Selene. I imagine it'll kill all magical beings now

Exodus powers worked that way when he stopped Thena the first time. The more fanatical the more powerful

Pretty meh about the whole thing. IMO Selene joining the Council or at least being around had more potential than whatever a bland character like Hope can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    They're still vulnerable to magic. But at least they came up with an anti magic plot device to dispose of Selene. I imagine it'll kill all magical beings now
    The high-level telepaths like Jean, Xavier, and Emma can handle the magicians. Hell, Emma has proven this herself. Also, as you intimated...

Mysterium, formed by condensing Kirbons and harvested from the White Hot Room, is antimagic, so they just need to drench themselves in it, lol.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

I hate that Selene was taken out so quickly, hopefully, she's not out of the story as of yet tbh, but I do wonder now that the council is aware of their weakness to magic, who could they possibly bring in? I would personally assume Maddie perhaps.

Very interested to see what some of Destiny's visions are, I'm excited for the implications of another set of her diaries can bring. I wonder though, does issue 3's cover hint at some people that are to be affected by her visions.

So sad the next issue is slated for release, 6/22...that's so far away

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    The high-level telepaths like Jean, Xavier, and Emma can handle the magicians. Hell, Emma has proven this herself. Also, as you intimated...

Mysterium, formed by condensing Kirbons and harvested from the White Hot Room, is antimagic, so they just need to drench themselves in it, lol.

Yeah as we know telepaths could deal with magic users in some way however, I don't see any of the x-writers delving into that too much as seen by this issue.
    Last edited by Diammandis; 05-18-2022 at 09:52 AM.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

My God, what did they do to Selene?

Good thing the Eternals kill Hope

They'll have to bring her back

1. Oldest mutant to date
    2. Has Enchantress bricking it and has tea with Blackheart...so Elder Demon Goddess
    3. Magic Expert creates a magical bomb that can implode all of reality in seconds
    4. Ressurects the a 1 million in Genosha with a snap of her fingers
    5. Has taken control over the technoarc virus which is the big bad in Hickmans story

Selene is irreplaceable. Let her Beyonce her way back

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I absolutely hated it. And now I hate Gillen. (Not enough to send him death threats on Twatter or any dumb moronic **** like but...I'll be reading IXM with a lot less interest from here on out)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

They had no solution to the anti magic gate. They were lucky Selene was a mutant. That they could kill ressurect and then have her flustered enough to switch the off button.

Say Doom created a reality bomb they couldn't do the same thing as they wouldn't be able tl ressurect him.

I already miss Selene. Your honor, they simply hate to see a girlboss winning.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    They had no solution to the anti magic gate. They were lucky Selene was a mutant. That they could kill ressurect and then have her flustered enough to switch the off button.

Say Doom created a reality bomb they couldn't do the same thing as they wouldn't be able tl ressurect him.
    Look at me giving your girl props, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    I hate that Selene was taken out so quickly, hopefully, she's not out of the story as of yet tbh, but I do wonder now that the council is aware of their weakness to magic, who could they possibly bring in? I would personally assume Maddie perhaps.

Very interested to see what some of Destiny's visions are, I'm excited for the implications of another set of her diaries can bring. I wonder though, does issue 3's cover hint at some people that are to be affected by her visions.

So sad the next issue is slated for release, 6/22...that's so far away

Yeah as we know telepaths could deal with magic users in some way however, I don't see any of the x-writers delving into that too much as seen by this issue.
    We were totally in sync for a moment, lol.