Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Souther View Post
    I believe it's been suggested or hinted before, but do you have a panel where Exodus himself establishes that fact?

In my opinion, it's always better to actively make use of it as part of the story, rather than leaving that factor as only a half-forgotten piece of trivia.

In any event, for me it's clear that Exodus is still ultimately manipulating Hope more than selflessly believing in her. I wouldn't expect their "partnership" to last in the long term. Which is also why I wouldn't compare what he is doing here to his former relationship with Magneto (although that has been more tense than friendly for a long time).

It's easier to pull off a larger feat when you have two people with the same power set rather than just one. As for the Krakoa era, he hasn't been too active in battle so far.
    I actually think he's not manipulating Hope, he does believe in what he says, the thing is she doesn't and either she'll buy into his hype eventually and will change or try to take on his advice and encourage the other 4 to claim more privileges and concessions from the council =disaster OR she will tell Exodus his faith is misplaced and he will for the first time in centuries believe that he always beat the drum for the wrong mutants and he is the Messiah himself= cataclysm(albeit interesting)

Everyone pour one out for Emplate cause with Selene dead he is going to be working overtime to ensure Krakoa doesn't siphon off too much mutant energy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    If we got a dollar for every time a threat to Krakoa could be solved by insert X mutant here we would both be many dollars richer and have no real threat to Krakoa at all short of ramping it up to the mutants doing something like declaring war on the One Above All. Or maybe Kang.
    And that's the problem when placing all tools into a single box. The writers were given too many functional and established solutions to basicly every problem and only the power of the plot is stopping them. All without enough reasonable excuses why they can't use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    QC throwing their weight around again. Killing Selene felt way too easy. Then they keep her dead because it’s more convenient to them while giving more ‘useful’ mutants a jump in the cue. The anti-magic gun felt very Deus ex machina. It’s concerning how the ‘hero’s’ who once avoided causing harm/death are so cold about killing as the first option just because someone can be resurrected.
    They keep her dead as long as possible so she won't be a problem for a while. It's basicly a loophole.

However the fact that they still can't deal with Orchis and seem to ignore them whenever the plot isn't reminding the reader that they are a "super serious enemy" on the horizon is still ridiculous in the face of this issue.

So here they have anti-magic bullets made from material they took from an almost unreachable location across time and space. But a bunch of normal humans and robots floating around on an asteroid in the solar system are somehow beyond their ability to defeat?

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Everyone pour one out for Emplate cause with Selene dead he is going to be working overtime to ensure Krakoa doesn't siphon off too much mutant energy.
    Not if the writers just ignore it going forward or suddently introduce an army of nameless mutants who do the job in the backround and only get mentioned in a data page.

Incredible Member

There has to be other vampire mutants on Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    There has to be other vampire mutants on Krakoa.
    They could bring Lifeforce from the Dark Riders back. She was always pretty kewl.

If Xavier, Magneto and Sinister had half a brain each they would take the chance to eliminate Destiny and Mystique now that Irene's powers have gone haywire and she can't see them coming... but we know they won't, and they will sit and wait for Mystique and Destiny's next predictable and inevitable yet still shocking betrayal...

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    The most interesting takeaway from this issue for me was the stealth twist with Exodus. Like, personally I wasn't hugely impressed by the resolution of the Selene thing mostly just because I found it anticlimactic, but on the other hand I do have to give it to Gillen that it took him all of one page to potentially ignite a huge game-changer for Exodus' character moving forward. And could be key to why Gillen's been hyping Sinister as particularly terrified of Exodus or something he might do or be capable of.

Like, its been long-established that Bennet's powers have an emotional/zeitgeist component, with his already enormous power levels increasing as a direct result of people believing in him and his capabilities. But he's never been previously confirmed to be AWARE of this aspect of his powers, with it usually being something talked about in captions or by others observing him. Its similar to how Gladiator of the Imperial Guard is empowered by his self-confidence....Exodus is augmented by the confidence others have in him.

But TRADITIONALLY, he's always stood in as a proxy for someone else, a leader he's fighting on behalf of. Because Exodus for most of his existence....has always been a follower. Even at times when he's led the Acolytes himself, its always been in the name of Magneto as a figurehead, or while identifying as his 'spiritual successor.' So the faith people have in him and his abilities, even when super-charging him in past battles, has typically been more about the faith they have in him as a champion for someone else's cause.

Even recently, as a confirmed omega-level member of the ruling council of Krakoa.....he's still actively directed and channeled attention towards others on the Council (like Magneto, and now Hope) or Krakoa as a whole. While nominally one of twelve leaders of their nation.....he's never shown any inclination towards wanting to rally people behind HIMSELF specifically. Never thought to ask them to put their faith in HIM rather than in his chosen cause or leader.

But as established by his conversation with Hope in this issue.....according to Gillen's take on him, until now he had no idea that the faith-augmentation aspect of his abilities even existed.

And Hope bringing that directly to his attention is potentially a HUGE catalyst for dramatically shifting his entire character direction.

Because now, for the first time, Exodus - who's spent pretty much his whole life in search of someone to follow, to devote himself and his cause to - has reason to contemplate the very idea of people putting their faith in HIM, personally. He's just been brought face to face with the notion that he has something TANGIBLE to gain by putting himself out there not as a proxy for another leader above him, or as just one of a body of leaders.....but as someone for people to follow DIRECTLY.

Ever since the forming of the Krakoa nation, Exodus has seemingly found a true sense of purpose for himself, and is one hundred percent committed to ensuring the longterm survival and success of the mutant race. And he's just been told that the more people believe in him specifically....the more this translates into literal power that can fuel and augment his already enormous abilities....and thus heighten his ability to fight for that purpose he's found, his own personal intent to see mutants flourish and survive at any cost.

In one single page, Hope just handed the dude who since his inception has ONLY ever really been limited by his lack of personal ambition, his ready willingness to be a right-hand man rather than the man in charge.....

The grand-daddy of all motivations to stop shilling for other people and start putting himself out there as a figurehead and rallying point.

Exodus the loyal follower and Exodus the ambitious leader are two entirely different characters....and we've never truly seen Exodus ever TRY to be the latter before, as its never seemed to be something he's had any interest in. But now that he has a reason to be interested in that? To seek actual followers of his OWN, rather than automatically steering them to follow someone else?

That has the potential to springboard him off in a brand new direction with pretty ginormous implications. Cuz thing is, as far as loyal number two's go...Exodus is GOOD at rallying people behind someone else. He's always been successful at recruiting people to a cause or amassing large followings for someone like Magneto. And there's zero reason to think he couldn't be equally good at doing that on his own behalf too.....if he ever decides to make THAT his focus, instead of always looking for the next mutant messiah to hand out pamphlets on behalf of.

Its also worth noting that Gillen's hyped up Exodus as leading the charge against the Eternals who'll attack Krakoa in Judgment Day.....and Exodus, historically, is one of the only mutants who already have precedence as being able to take on an Eternal like Sersi and fight her to at least a standstill, all by himself. And that was an Exodus at his 'base' power levels.

But an Exodus empowered by millions of Krakoans' faith in his ability to fight for them....

What could HE pull off?
    Bring on the Cult of Exodus baby I'm ready for it. Been waiting for Exodus to step up and be the clear zealot leader he was always meant to be. Fanatic mutant leader

I can't get over how suddenly magic is huge security risk and blindspot. They literally have the Sorcerer Supreme of Limbo on your island! You are on speaking terms with Wanda, one of the most powerful magic users in the universe! Hell, PIXIE is consistently shown to be a great magic user! Why do they have to rely on Selene in the first place? She was already on the board of X-corp, even if no one read that dreck. Plus, given how hilariously bad their security has been in basically every book, its just funny how THIS is the big thing they need to watch out for. Not Moira skinning a dude and waltzing in. Not Nature Girl making gates whenever she wants and livestreaming mass murder and terrorism in their name. Not the matroyshka assassins. Not the knockoff Golden Girls who can control the island itself. Nope, MAAAAAAAAAAAAGIC!

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I can't get over how suddenly magic is huge security risk and blindspot. They literally have the Sorcerer Supreme of Limbo on your island! You are on speaking terms with Wanda, one of the most powerful magic users in the universe! Hell, PIXIE is consistently shown to be a great magic user! Why do they have to rely on Selene in the first place? She was already on the board of X-corp, even if no one read that dreck. Plus, given how hilariously bad their security has been in basically every book, its just funny how THIS is the big thing they need to watch out for. Not Moira skinning a dude and waltzing in. Not Nature Girl making gates whenever she wants and livestreaming mass murder and terrorism in their name. Not the matroyshka assassins. Not the knockoff Golden Girls who can control the island itself. Nope, MAAAAAAAAAAAAGIC!
    No No no don't get it twisted Wanda did her little thing but don't confuse that with all of sudden mutants as a whole are buddy buddy with her. Like some when it doubt call Wanda stuff nope

Magik is strong but she isn't on the level of most top tier sorceress in the MU like Doom, Loki, Doc Strange, heck even Wanda etc

Pixie.......come on now

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    Bring on the Cult of Exodus baby I'm ready for it. Been waiting for Exodus to step up and be the clear zealot leader he was always meant to be. Fanatic mutant leader
    Praise Paris

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    No No no don't get it twisted Wanda did her little thing but don't confuse that with all of sudden mutants as a whole are buddy buddy with her. Like some when it doubt call Wanda stuff nope

Magik is strong but she isn't on the level of most top tier sorceress in the MU like Doom, Loki, Doc Strange, heck even Wanda etc

Pixie.......come on now
    Wanda is literally called the Redeemer on the island and there are no signs of this Ill Will you are describing. Saying that Magik is a step down from Strange, Loki, and Doom still probably puts her in the top twenty on the island. Pixie and Rictor can both be the starts to a new generation of magic using mutants. And all of them are more reliable than the whining teen teeing and throwing necromancies abominations around because she lost an election

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    this is about what i expected by not how i expected it.

Hope was completely regressed in one issue and is completely different than the Hope we have seen who has been the champion of pure resurrections: girl bye.

Gillien even had Selene say why doesn't she have a place and as noted she offered more for the community with feedings alone but not only that they do still need defense but sinister who is unneeded is just splashing around his latest chimeras and his theft and abuse of the dna of other mutants and he gets a "heeeeeeey bro, are you going to create a problem more than your trying to fix." Xavier in this is a hypocrite, lame in mind, and a sexist for the way he chastised Selene when Sinister been around doing the most from day one.

The story felt force. Hope is the light of the mutant empire it's messiah, nah, Exodus Messiah's don't mind-rape those they bring back to drag them into submission.

The whole story was from her point of view well mostly so i guess this was her issue but when she talked about she chose to lead and stuff i was like "what the f#(# is she talking about. Did we literally just ignore all the story and pick up where we left off with the five lights." I mean it wasn't a badly written story but it was a badly plotted one and it definitel was heaped in bias which made the plot feel even more unnatural. The art was nice though. The magneto/storm team up was cool i am even more okay with her not getting a stand alone issue now. lol. There was no real longterm story here though this is just exploring the dark stuff the council does so it is what it was pimped to be but it's not an even tilled book at all.

Welp at least i can say i gave it a try. I'm out on this one.

Attachment 121155
    Attachment 121156

Ladies and genetleman your council hero and your altruistic queen of resurrections. lol
    You know… you’re absolutely right. This girl’s whole platform was that she’d take out the corruption when it comes to resurrections and after getting hyped by a madman for 2.5 seconds she was ready to act up. Knowing damn well they could have gotten that knowledge from the Cerebro backup. I like that Hope has a lil edge to her but this was a bit much.

Honestly why even set up Selene with the Coven if she was going to get killed off? She’d make a great long-term villain. But nah we gotta clean the slate for Judgement Day *yawn*.

The issue was really entertaining so I’ll be buying again next month.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 05-19-2022 at 03:51 AM.

Cushiest of all desk jobs.

I liked Williams's Hope but I'm glad Gillen is back to write her !

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

What's the big deal? Dumb Hope left an intact body behind for Clan Akkaba to ressurect. When it comes to returning from death, Jean Grey simps for Selene.