Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    I just want to know why so many people on this forum hate Hope Summers, I think she is a great character with a great history.
    I rather like Hope Summers… I like the fact she is related to no one and set her own route in the Marvel universe.

(And I don’t like Selene, the psychopath… no problem, she can rot in hell…)
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I love Hope Summers. And while she may not be related by blood to anyone, she is very much Cable’s daughter. As this issue showed.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

I don't particularly like Hope Summers because i consider her very concept to be a cruel bait&switch to those of us who lost a fave character, in such a ridiculous manner to boot, had been waiting years at this point for her return (after the "Dead means Dead" policy turned into "Anything goes"), was told her return would happen when an important enough storyline is developed, sees the first mutant born since M-Day(that's pretty major), massive energy release, red hair/green eyes, adopted by Cable and eventually raised in the future(come ON....this is a direct parallel to Jean and Scott raising Cable in the future as Redd and Slym), the premonitions involving WHR Jean saying "prepare", Hope's connection to the Phoenix Force, Avengers vs. X-Men, even going so far as to imitate Jean's White Phoenix role for a few panels, something that was still UNIQUE to Jean dispite a litany of multiversal Phoenix Hosts(though it could be said that Hope was never actually the White Phoenix of the Crown)...and yes, for most of her history, she's been a plot device, a tool, a symbol, or all of the above.

Anyway, for me, the character is annoying for all the things she was teased to be but ended up not being, and that cynicism from the creative side just sticks. Her conception, much like Quentin's, reeks of unearned importance. She's deemed to be an Omega Level mutant from jump, and her ties to the Phoenix adds to the long list of taking things originating from Jean and diluting it elsewhere, not to mention her role in AvX was an insult to Rachel Grey.

The impulsive, gun-toting, hardened teen soldier, "In the future, my Dad taught me how to dot dot dot" persona does nothing for me, and honestly though still plot-device-y, her role in The Five is more interesting an fitting ("Hope"), but even that, can be outsourced...Synch is an obvious choice, but also an Omega Level telepath of Jean's level could do the same, we've seen her boost the powers of others, as well as link and synergize powers.

I'm not mad she sniped Selene though, and I'm curious how she'll perform in her role on the Quite Council

So you don't like Hope because of who she was not... specifically that she wasn't Jean. Got it. That's fair. I'm glad she didn't turn out to be Jean, though. Mainly because I loved the stories of Cable raising her in the future in that Duane Swiercynski penned / Ariel Olivetti illustrated series. If she had been Jean, and Nathan had then raised her in the future and brought her back at 17 years old... well, that would've been quite weird to me. Especially since Jean once went to the far future to raise him as a boy. No, I'm glad things worked out the way they did for both of them as separate characters. I think the mutant world is big enough for the two of them. Especially now.

I also agree with you that Hope as a member of The Five is interesting, but also that she could be replaced by someone else (e.g., Synch). Which is precisely why I like her for her character most of all... namely being that girl who was raised by the X-men's greatest soldier and is just a badass. As Selene found out when she got dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post

The impulsive, gun-toting, hardened teen soldier, "In the future, my Dad taught me how to dot dot dot" persona does nothing for me, and honestly though still plot-device-y, her role in The Five is more interesting an fitting ("Hope"), but even that, can be outsourced...Synch is an obvious choice, but also an Omega Level telepath of Jean's level could do the same, we've seen her boost the powers of others, as well as link and synergize powers.

I'm not mad she sniped Selene though, and I'm curious how she'll perform in her role on the Quite Council
    People keep mentioning but no it cant. Hope is an omega mutant for power manipulation NOT mimicry. Synch cant be used as a standin for her. Her role in the Five is to boost and stabilize the powers of the other members and synchronize them so that they work in unison to accomplish the task neccesary for the resurrections. All Synch can do is copy the powers of any of the other 4 members. He cant replace Hope unless he himself is mimicking her. His base powers do not allow him to do anything otherwise. At best he can help be additive by adding to the man power. Also Jean and telepaths do not boost powers. I know what you are referring to and what is done is they remove the mental blocks that prevent a mutant from pushign themselves. It still takes a physical toll on said mutant. Thats not the case with Hope who's tasked with resurrecting which is far more complex and delicate than some other janky applications of combining mutant powers
    Last edited by Havok83; 05-23-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Good points.

Hellion could stand in, though. He doesn't have the power to synch people up, but he's a great leader who inspires others and can get them to work together effectively. If he was in charge of the Five, they would have blasted through the entire queue by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    People keep mentioning but no it cant. Hope is an omega mutant for power manipulation NOT mimicry. Synch cant be used as a standin for her. Her role in the Five is to boost and stabilize the powers of the other members and synchronize them so that they work in unison to accomplish the task neccesary for the resurrections. All Synch can do is copy the powers of any of the other 4 members. He cant replace Hope unless he himself is mimicking her. His base powers do not allow him to do anything otherwise. At best he can help be additive by adding to the man power. Also Jean and telepaths do not boost powers. I know what you are referring to and what is done is they remove the mental blocks that prevent a mutant from pushign themselves. It still takes a physical toll on said mutant. Thats not the case with Hope who's tasked with resurrecting which is far more complex and delicate than some other janky applications of combining mutant powers

The substitution idea didn't come out of thin air...it was mentioned in the same issue as the reveal of The Five and the Resurrection Protocols themselves. I mean, Hope's ability wasn't Power manipulation until it was. Synch's power could just as easily expand, and in fact a subplot of his has been his powers changing since being resurrected, plus add in all his years of experience from The Vault.

There are numerous in-story pathways to substitutions and they needn't be at a 1:1 ratio either
    Last edited by Omega_DCD; 05-24-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Fantastic Member

I don't particularly like Hope Summers because i consider her very concept to be a cruel bait&switch to those of us who lost a fave character, in such a ridiculous manner to boot, had been waiting years at this point for her return (after the "Dead means Dead" policy turned into "Anything goes"), was told her return would happen when an important enough storyline is developed, sees the first mutant born since M-Day(that's pretty major), massive energy release, red hair/green eyes, adopted by Cable and eventually raised in the future(come ON....this is a direct parallel to Jean and Scott raising Cable in the future as Redd and Slym), the premonitions involving WHR Jean saying "prepare", Hope's connection to the Phoenix Force, Avengers vs. X-Men, even going so far as to imitate Jean's White Phoenix role for a few panels, something that was still UNIQUE to Jean dispite a litany of multiversal Phoenix Hosts(though it could be said that Hope was never actually the White Phoenix of the Crown)...and yes, for most of her history, she's been a plot device, a tool, a symbol, or all of the above.

Anyway, for me, the character is annoying for all the things she was teased to be but ended up not being, and that cynicism from the creative side just sticks. Her conception, much like Quentin's, reeks of unearned importance. She's deemed to be an Omega Level mutant from jump, and her ties to the Phoenix adds to the long list of taking things originating from Jean and diluting it elsewhere, not to mention her role in AvX was an insult to Rachel Grey.

I'm very salty about how Rachel Grey/Summers was treated too, immensely. But that's not Hope's fault.

I actually dug the twist of the False Hope vs. Real Hope and appreciated how Gillen addressed her "The Five" persona with what came pre-Krakoa. The more she's used the less the "Jean Grey bait and switch" part of her creation is that important.

I like Hope everywhere other than AvX. From what we had seen of her by then, AvX felt like character assassination for her. Gillen's Hope is quite enjoyable to read. Far more interesting than Rachel, and half as redundant.

The substitution idea didn't come out of thin air...it was mentioned in the same issue as the reveal of The Five and the Resurrection Protocols themselves. I mean, Hope's ability wasn't Power manipulation until it was. Synch's power could just as easily expand, and in fact a subplot of his has been his powers changing since being resurrected, plus add in all his years of experience from The Vault.

There are numerous in-story pathways to substitutions and they needn't be at a 1:1 ratio either
    Yes like i said, Synch can add to the man power. He can mimic other members of the Five and add to their man power. A writer can change Synch's powers to manipulate powers like Hope but as of now, that is not the case. I mean someone can give Jubilee a secondary mutation to do the same but again, its not the case right now

Hope has always had power manipulation. She stabilized the members of the Five Lights and she boosted Hellion's TK after Second Coming. This is not a new phenomenon with her
    Last edited by Havok83; 05-23-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I like Hope everywhere other than AvX. From what we had seen of her by then, AvX felt like character assassination for her. Gillen's Hope is quite enjoyable to read. Far more interesting than Rachel, and half as redundant.
    This is how i felt until immortal. I didn't dislike hope in AvX but i felt the story was all over the place, iron fist, scarlet witch, it was just too much. But this issue i can't get past her using resurrections as though she is doing good for the people (she is) to get on the council but then having selene killed in that room and everyone including the five and doug just i guess turning their backs. It could literally be any mutant that she brings back and what next, how far does it go. For me Gillien tainted Hope in a way i don't know can be fixed for me. I like warrior hope, i like badass hope, i didn't find this to be either, Hope is definitely a phoenix right now, and life AND Death are her thing i guess.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yes like i said, Synch can add to the man power. He can mimic other members of the Five and add to their man power. A writer can change Synch's powers to manipulate powers like Hope but as of now, that is not the case. I mean someone can give Jubilee a secondary mutation to do the same but again, its not the case right now

Hope has always had power manipulation. She stabilized the members of the Five Lights and she boosted Hellion's TK after Second Coming. This is not a new phenomenon with her
    As long as hope is alive synch should be able to just sync to her gift like he did Jean while in space. So he would be able to boost powers and unlike hope who had to get close in this very issue to get illyana powers synch does not have a limit on where he needs to be or rather at the very least he doesn't need to be on the same planet. But i rather him not be the one. Give it to someone like Mimic, maybe he can copy hope power longterm like the 05 and i think he would appreciate the job. At this point Gillien has succeeded in bastardizing resurrections.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    As long as hope is alive synch should be able to just sync to her gift like he did Jean while in space. So he would be able to boost powers and unlike hope who had to get close in this very issue to get illyana powers synch does not have a limit on where he needs to be or rather at the very least he doesn't need to be on the same planet. But i rather him not be the one. Give it to someone like Mimic, maybe he can copy hope power longterm like the 05 and i think he would appreciate the job. At this point Gillien has succeeded in bastardizing resurrections.
    Does she even need to be alive? I thought I read somewhere that he could synch powers from like a drop of blood or something?
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    Does she even need to be alive? I thought I read somewhere that he could synch powers from like a drop of blood or something?
    I don't think she actually does but i don't know for a fact. As we have seen mutant energy has to go somewhere just like all energy so technically he should be able to synch into that energy spectrum. Though i don't think anything actually became of that planet size red ball of mutant energy. at least i can't remember but i just remember it floating around in the background of stuff several times.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.