Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This issue was great. Hope's solution to the kaiju attack was more mercenary than I was expecting, although I probably should have figured that because it's very her. The dynamic between Destiny and Sinister continues to amuse me. Selene got what was coming to her. She is a high camp villain who exists to have her evil plans foiled. She will be back, she always comes back.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I guess her pov in a few weeks will let us know.I won't hold my breath.
    We must demand that all her narration be in the language of her ancestors. We need Boston accent Emma!

I LOVED the characterization of Hope here. She's such an endlessly fascinating character when she's written well. The Destiny stuff is cool too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    The most interesting takeaway from this issue for me was the stealth twist with Exodus. Like, personally I wasn't hugely impressed by the resolution of the Selene thing mostly just because I found it anticlimactic, but on the other hand I do have to give it to Gillen that it took him all of one page to potentially ignite a huge game-changer for Exodus' character moving forward. And could be key to why Gillen's been hyping Sinister as particularly terrified of Exodus or something he might do or be capable of.

Like, its been long-established that Bennet's powers have an emotional/zeitgeist component, with his already enormous power levels increasing as a direct result of people believing in him and his capabilities. But he's never been previously confirmed to be AWARE of this aspect of his powers, with it usually being something talked about in captions or by others observing him. Its similar to how Gladiator of the Imperial Guard is empowered by his self-confidence....Exodus is augmented by the confidence others have in him.

But TRADITIONALLY, he's always stood in as a proxy for someone else, a leader he's fighting on behalf of. Because Exodus for most of his existence....has always been a follower. Even at times when he's led the Acolytes himself, its always been in the name of Magneto as a figurehead, or while identifying as his 'spiritual successor.' So the faith people have in him and his abilities, even when super-charging him in past battles, has typically been more about the faith they have in him as a champion for someone else's cause.

Even recently, as a confirmed omega-level member of the ruling council of Krakoa.....he's still actively directed and channeled attention towards others on the Council (like Magneto, and now Hope) or Krakoa as a whole. While nominally one of twelve leaders of their nation.....he's never shown any inclination towards wanting to rally people behind HIMSELF specifically. Never thought to ask them to put their faith in HIM rather than in his chosen cause or leader.

But as established by his conversation with Hope in this issue.....according to Gillen's take on him, until now he had no idea that the faith-augmentation aspect of his abilities even existed.

And Hope bringing that directly to his attention is potentially a HUGE catalyst for dramatically shifting his entire character direction.

Because now, for the first time, Exodus - who's spent pretty much his whole life in search of someone to follow, to devote himself and his cause to - has reason to contemplate the very idea of people putting their faith in HIM, personally. He's just been brought face to face with the notion that he has something TANGIBLE to gain by putting himself out there not as a proxy for another leader above him, or as just one of a body of leaders.....but as someone for people to follow DIRECTLY.

Ever since the forming of the Krakoa nation, Exodus has seemingly found a true sense of purpose for himself, and is one hundred percent committed to ensuring the longterm survival and success of the mutant race. And he's just been told that the more people believe in him specifically....the more this translates into literal power that can fuel and augment his already enormous abilities....and thus heighten his ability to fight for that purpose he's found, his own personal intent to see mutants flourish and survive at any cost.

In one single page, Hope just handed the dude who since his inception has ONLY ever really been limited by his lack of personal ambition, his ready willingness to be a right-hand man rather than the man in charge.....

The grand-daddy of all motivations to stop shilling for other people and start putting himself out there as a figurehead and rallying point.

Exodus the loyal follower and Exodus the ambitious leader are two entirely different characters....and we've never truly seen Exodus ever TRY to be the latter before, as its never seemed to be something he's had any interest in. But now that he has a reason to be interested in that? To seek actual followers of his OWN, rather than automatically steering them to follow someone else?

That has the potential to springboard him off in a brand new direction with pretty ginormous implications. Cuz thing is, as far as loyal number two's go...Exodus is GOOD at rallying people behind someone else. He's always been successful at recruiting people to a cause or amassing large followings for someone like Magneto. And there's zero reason to think he couldn't be equally good at doing that on his own behalf too.....if he ever decides to make THAT his focus, instead of always looking for the next mutant messiah to hand out pamphlets on behalf of.

Its also worth noting that Gillen's hyped up Exodus as leading the charge against the Eternals who'll attack Krakoa in Judgment Day.....and Exodus, historically, is one of the only mutants who already have precedence as being able to take on an Eternal like Sersi and fight her to at least a standstill, all by himself. And that was an Exodus at his 'base' power levels.

But an Exodus empowered by millions of Krakoans' faith in his ability to fight for them....

What could HE pull off?
    Well said Bob, now we just have to wait and see. We'll need to see the background to his upcoming issue.If the apparent attack on the five is a sneak attack then likely it will be only the council to send him to avenge his kin ,or he may go it alone .If it's a full on attack with the whole of Krakoa alerted then it may be even more consequential for him and his faith empowerment. It will be interesting to see if Krakoans warm up to him in the interim or after he goes off.I think Destiny's pov may inform us. I don't know what Gillen has planned ,but I always sensed a schism coming down the line with Exodus finally taking a coterie of mutants with him and being an autonomous enclave because he is almost a carbon copy (albeit relatively younger ) of White Sword down to his inflexible idealism and power to resurrect others. I don't think he handles duplicity well.I suspect he has not been prying the thoughts of his peers for respect of their station and decorum, though going by Selene's fate if he sniffs betrayal from Emma or Mistique and eventually Sinister.They better be ready for witness protection in Avalon,Crooked Market or Mercator

I thought it was weird that Exodus doesn't know his power levels can be augmented by belief. That's been established for a while and I don't see how the story wants us to believe that he had no idea about that. That felt odd and made him seem a little dumb. I just found his overall characterization here extrenely lacking. He seems too child like and way too fan boyish over Hope. He never even acted this way with Magneto.

Also why does he need to team up with Hope to create a TK shield? He seems nerfed power wise and that does not track at all with his other appearances in the Krakoa era( or hell his entire comic history). I don't know, everything about him in this issue felt wrong and not at all in line with his prior characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    I thought it was weird that Exodus doesn't know his power levels can be augmented by belief. That's been established for a while and I don't see how the story wants us to believe that he had no idea about that. That felt odd and made him seem a little dumb. I just found his overall characterization here extrenely lacking. He seems too child like and way too fan boyish over Hope. He never even acted this way with Magneto.
    I believe it's been suggested or hinted before, but do you have a panel where Exodus himself establishes that fact?

In my opinion, it's always better to actively make use of it as part of the story, rather than leaving that factor as only a half-forgotten piece of trivia.

In any event, for me it's clear that Exodus is still ultimately manipulating Hope more than selflessly believing in her. I wouldn't expect their "partnership" to last in the long term. Which is also why I wouldn't compare what he is doing here to his former relationship with Magneto (although that has been more tense than friendly for a long time).

Also why does he need to team up with Hope to create a TK shield? He seems nerfed power wise and that does not track at all with his other appearances in the Krakoa era( or hell his entire comic history). I don't know, everything about him in this issue felt wrong and not at all in line with his prior characterization.
    It's easier to pull off a larger feat when you have two people with the same power set rather than just one. As for the Krakoa era, he hasn't been too active in battle so far.
    Last edited by Souther; 05-18-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

I see Hope Summers is very much a hot topic for this board. She got one highlight issue after half a decade of being largely ignores/being a background character lol

Incredible Member

Are the Acolytes still a thing in Krakoa? Is Exodus still their leader?

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I see Hope Summers is very much a hot topic for this board. She got one highlight issue after half a decade of being largely ignores/being a background character lol
    Yes, plus Gillen has also tried to connect the current Hope to the previous development and characterization she had received.

I also think Selene is almost certainly not permanently gone. Which is why I wouldn't worry too much about that (as a reader, but the Quiet Council should be more worried).

Finally, I guess what is happening to Destiny isn't a good sign of things to come for our little mutant society.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    That's what a good writer can do for a character.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

QC throwing their weight around again. Killing Selene felt way too easy. Then they keep her dead because it’s more convenient to them while giving more ‘useful’ mutants a jump in the cue. The anti-magic gun felt very Deus ex machina. It’s concerning how the ‘hero’s’ who once avoided causing harm/death are so cold about killing as the first option just because someone can be resurrected.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post

I guess Gillen wants it to come across as self realization.I do agree that it's been a fact of his power repertoire ,but then I was always surprised why in the issue when he made Genoshans live in harmony by force of telepathy ,he had the guise of Magneto,why not do that in his own skin? Obviously writers wanted it to be a surprise reveal,but to me it sort of fit with his penchant for being a follower/always being in someone's shadow. Though I agree the dialogue to make this come across better would not be 'What?' but 'I've forgotten what inspiring faith felt like' or 'I haven't been that way for a long time' ..or maybe because it is coming from a purported Messiah figure it only clicked now for him i.e all other times it was something he heard spoken of him while he was a crusader by fellow crusader warriors but he never truly embraced?

The team up was not for the shield I think it was an attempt to fight the monster with Hope amplifying his faith induced circuit.I guess being fan boyish is the only way it works since Hope doesn't buy into the hype, though that may be because it is a Hope-centric episode. In his own issue I think he will feel more ancient and perhaps reveal his vision.

Wink

Gillen really likes Cyclops, right?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Are the Acolytes still a thing in Krakoa? Is Exodus still their leader?
    Probably will become a thing after Exodus goes berserk on some Eternals

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    QC throwing their weight around again. Killing Selene felt way too easy. Then they keep her dead because it’s more convenient to them while giving more ‘useful’ mutants a jump in the cue. The anti-magic gun felt very Deus ex machina. It’s concerning how the ‘hero’s’ who once avoided causing harm/death are so cold about killing as the first option just because someone can be resurrected.
    I mean when the person they killed was controlling a giant monster, which also affects space and time and was threatening the lives in their nation...killing the perp behind the attack was very necessary. There was absolutely no other way to get rid of that monster without devastating consequences, like technically they are heroes, whether you agree or not its totally up to you.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer