Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men: Red #2 Review/Spoilers

We saw the beginning in the previews: Vulcan blew up the Summers House after the others pointed out that Petra and Sway were dead all along, and the ones we've been seeing are just projections he created to deal with the grief. The real ones can be revived, but Vulcan insists that the projections are real.

Later, Vulcan laments to Brand that the Shi'ar have forgotten that he was their emperor. He's not welcome at the Summers House and personally doesn't want to set food on Krakoa, so he's stuck on Mars. Abby's all, "Yeah dw bb, I remember you. Anyway, you should take your mind off things by joining my X-Men team."

X-Men Red consists of Mentallo Frenzy, Random, Manifold, and Cable; Cable being their field leader. They also have a new logo: it's the modern X-Men logo, except one of the twiggy things on the X is elongated, making it look like a sword.

Anyway, Brand says that the team exists so the Arakkis know SWORD is watching over them. Manifold says that the Arakki have their own culture, government and people, and this is their planet; they should have their own X-Men team. Brand says that they gave them Mars in the first place, they only own parts of the planet, and they're still part of the Sol System. Manifold bounces. Brand says that he's practically her second-in-command, but then he calls her out killing Henry Gyrich, and he points out how sus she is. He's sure she's responsible for those SWORD shenanigans in the last book.

Brand's fine with this, since Cable can bodyslide the team for transportation. She pulls an OJ and says, "I didn't do it. But IF I did, do any of you care?" And nah, no one cares. Brand gets an alert (The Krakoan on Brand's monitor reads ALERT, if you're wondering), and they rush into action.

The Morrowlands are a commune of artists and poets, seeking purpose. They're being attacked by Progenitors and are fighting back. X-Men Red jump in to fight them. Cable targets a Harvester-class, high-level telekinetic Progenitor. It vomits on his robot arm and sucks it up. Without the robot arm balancing out his telekinesis, Cable's power goes out of control. Which is good, because it lets him kick their asses. But then one of the Progenitors just immediately vaporizes Cable.

An Arakki sees this and is upset that the Krakoans are dying for them. The Progenitors' violence against them is an insult to Arakko. She throws a cube at them and gets vaporized immediately. Brand has Vulcan try to lead them away from the scene. This offends the Arakki, who want to stay and fight for their home, even if they have no chance at winning. Vulcan threatens them, but is suddenly frozen in ice.

Storm, Sunspot, Fisher Daddy and Magneto have arrived on the scene. Note that the civilians are happy to see them. This team asks the civilians for help. They use their crappy powers to distract a Progenitor so Magneto can kill it. Vulcan gets pissed and attacks Storm. Storm calls herself mommy and kicks his ass.

A data page reveals the obvious: Brand and Orchis arranged the Progenitors to show up. Only this time, her goal was to intentionally offend the Arakki and ruin relationships between them and Krakoa. She wants them to go back to Amenth so she can have Mars. (This explains why Hellion isn't on the team: the Arakki would love him.) But Storm and the Brotherhood ruined her plan. So Brand needs to work around Storm now. She needs a man on the inside of the Great Ring of Arakko.

Later, Brand meets with Vulcan as he's recovering. She says that Storm was able to use her powers at the highest level, while Vulcan only uses his at a surface-level. She's going to help him with that. Also, she has a way to make people praise Vulcan's name as they do Storm's: he's going to kill Tarn.

Notes:
    • The Fisher King is called the "Unarmed King," who "ruled at midnight." I'm guessing those who suspected him of being in the Night seat of the Greater Ring have some more evidence.
    • The moral of the story: artists and poets are useless to society, and at best can only serve as a distraction while the real heroes save the day. But to be distracted by art and words is to lead to your downfall. If you want to succeed, burn your comic books.
    Last edited by Rift; 05-18-2022 at 10:39 AM.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Tarn is going to fk him up.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Really good issue. It was satisfying seeing Storm put Vulcan in his place.

Same for Manifold choosing to dip from Brand's "X-Men". I feel bad for Frenzy, when all this come out about Brand she's gonna be frustrated all over again about who she places her trust into (again).

THE BOOK! 11/10. There was so much in this and i've alread gushed so much i don't think i have much left but it was a great issue. I don't think there is one character i am not looking forward to their story unfolding. I hope Manifold ends up on the brotherhood or in Ewing's upcoming defenders. The art was superb.

The progenitors was a great surprise and i was excited to see them show up. I love that we are seeing different parts of arrako, the whole story just feels grand and like there are just so many layers to peel through.

Don't see how Vulcan is going to take out Tarn if he can just turn off his powers and he as far as i know has no h2h experience etc but i know if it happens ewing will find a way for it to work. This is just a really good book.

My favorite page.

elegantpower.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post

Same for Manifold choosing to dip from Brand's "X-Men". I feel bad for Frenzy, when all this come out about Brand she's gonna be frustrated all over again about who she places her trust into (again).
    I want Frenzy to break her back when all is said and out there.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Agreed on all. Storm absolutely dominated and checked Vulcan's ego down to the ground. I love that the Arakki are taking to her. Great issue for the Regent.

I'm also glad Eden dipped out on Brand, though I hope that doesn't mean we won't be seeing him more. Maybe he'll join the Brotherhood. Great seeing Cable in a leadership role again.

Brand is horrible and I love to hate her. Karma is coming.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    I want Frenzy to break her back when all is said and out there.
    i was thinking it would be Cable but i'm starting to suspect Frenzy will be storm double agent on Brand team.

Oh and on a side i love that Arrakians know storm as Ororo and call her as such. Her krakoan mutant name and her battle name is Storm but Arrakians know her by her true name which is big with them so i thought that was deep.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Agreed on all. Storm absolutely dominated and checked Vulcan's ego down to the ground. I love that the Arakki are taking to her. Great issue for the Regent.

I'm also glad Eden dipped out on Brand, though I hope that doesn't mean we won't be seeing him more. Maybe he'll join the Brotherhood. Great seeing Cable in a leadership role again.

Brand is horrible and I love to hate her. Karma is coming.
    If Eden joins the brotherhood and doesn't just disappear into some random Avengers roster.this will be top book for me edging out X-Men
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Same here. And Cable.
    Though I'm really sad I may not be seeing Eden in XMR anymore. (I'm very much hoping Storm recruits him for The Brotherhood)
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

BANNED

So they demoted Frenzy, Manifold and Mentallo

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

X-Men Red #2.

The book as a whole was ok. I'd give it a 7/10 there was a lot of just standing around lol literally. The plot is getting more thicker i'm waiting for someone to please get BRAND.

As for the Storm Vs Vulcan fight. I'm moderately satisfied. Was hoping for them to Slug it out, but the Will Power maneuver was good enough. It gave respect to both characters with a satisfying Win. Never Doubted Ewing. Looking forward to the Next Issue.

Astonishing Member

Yeah tbh my big concern is Eden dipping out while threatening to go back to the Avengers. Nooooooooooo, baby you're too sexy for that! LOL no but for real, he's been one of the break-out characters of the current era for me, and I really hope this isn't the last we see of him in the X-books.

I do think there's a strong chance he'll end up in Storm's Brotherhood instead of just disappearing.....literally every one of his Australia scenes back in the SWORD book spoke to the same themes Ewing's working with in regards to the Arakki, so he seems a natural fit for the Brotherhood.

I liked this issue. I'm glad Storm made short work of Vulcan rather than going for a full on fight. I don't know who would win such a fight but the loser would most probably be the inhabitants of Mars/Arakko. It looks like Vulcan will become a headache for Storm thanks to Brand's manipulations. Only thing that's bothering me is why is Cable in Brand's team. He seems oblivious to Brand's machinations though maybe he's playing her, I don't know.

Mighty Member

Hoping Manifold will join the Brotherhood. I feel Cable knows a lot more than he’s letting on because there’s no way he would be this naive about Brand. I feel bad for Frenzy because she enjoyed her diplomatic work and shows when he she knew Arakkii customs. Storm put the beat down on Vulcan and it was great to see. So great to see Storm being so damn bad ass like she has always been. They definitely got Morlock Queen Storm. She has the spirit of the Arakkii and she is thriving there and it’s so good not seeing her getting nerfed like she was for a few years.

I hope Manifold returns, he’s too cool to rejoin the Avengers during Aaron’s run.