Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I LOVED this issue. I really like the pacing, the art and coloring, and we are quickly given the rosters to both teams, see the initial clash of ideologies, and getting more on the Arakki culture. Storm and the Brotherhood looked so bad ass on their entry! And such a great tactical victory for Storm over Vulcan. Loved it! Ewing is writing the hell out of this cast, especially Storm. I am here for it! Cable went out like a boss. Just one-shotted that Progenitor into pieces without even trying lol. Loved it! I think he will make for an interesting point of view from a storytelling POV because I am sure he sees through Brand's schemes. I am curious how Vulcan will beat Tarn. As others have mentioned a head on fight should be suicide, and I don't see Vulcan thinking through an unexpected path to victory like Storm did in SWORD. I would also love to see Magneto sit at the head of the Table of Night. I get the impression Fisher King sees the potential greatness Magneto brings and is going to maneuver him that way.

Caselli is SLAYING in this book! I hope he stays on for the full run. 10/10 for me.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Fantastic Member

The art on this was gorgeous! In a week of lots of great books, I think the art in this one takes the cake.

Super disappointed Brand's team was a bunch of C-listers and Cable. I wanted to root for them and their colorful outfits, but they are clearly not trying to make Brand's side sympathetic or likeable at all. I'm still holding out hope she just had a larger scale plan and isn't just a villain now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    The art on this was gorgeous! In a week of lots of great books, I think the art in this one takes the cake.

Super disappointed Brand's team was a bunch of C-listers and Cable. I wanted to root for them and their colorful outfits, but they are clearly not trying to make Brand's side sympathetic or likeable at all. I'm still holding out hope she just had a larger scale plan and isn't just a villain now.
    I don’t think she's a villain. She would be better classified as the antagonist. She doesn't hate Krakoa or mutants. She just sees Krakoa and by extension Arrako as a net negative for the galaxy as a whole. Although I would love to find out her reasonings to.WHY she thinks like that.

Loved this, though Storm vs Vulcan was a bit "It's Omega, I don't gotta explain ****!". Brand is a magnificent rotter and Eden sees right through her, with Cable and the rest too of them too "X-Force" to get they're being played. Again, we see something way more like a "mutant CIA" than we'll ever get in X-Force, with way better execution.

Al Ewing is probably a safer pair of hands to execute Hickman's plans than Hickman himself.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 05-19-2022 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mugen View Post
    i don't know what to think of x men red i love learning about the arakki story and the new ororo team, but i hate what al ewing is doing with abigail brand at the moment he is ruining the character this betrayal still makes no sense for me the last time we saw her with mutants before the krakoa era she teamed up with ororo to save deathbird and had no problem with mutants, I don't understand abigail's behavior towards mutants are contempt towards eu and her desire to hurt them comes out of nowhere without any explanation or justification she seems to take pleasure in taking it out abigail is always concerned about mutants she said it several times in her magneto when she helped magneto to escapeshe said it several times when she helped magneto to escape cyclops and illyana from shield prison in avx Consequently, she is not only a mutant but also the commander of the sword supposed to protect the galaxy and now she betrays the mutants and sends machines to kill innocent mutants arraki like a common murderer seriously? she knows about juda from giant size x men who work for orchis so she knows that they kidnap and kill mutants to recover their dna and that's no problem for her.

She helps orchis to recover mutants to strengthen orchis and put them on par with krakoa seriously?? it's stupidity without name and it can turn against her seriously how abigail who always wanted to protect people now finds herself working with orchis, orbis stellaris and soon the chitauri??? the same chitauri who attacked abigail and captain marvel and wanted to destroy the earth during secret empire, it's inconsistent. She has the snakwar assassinated in sword 5 to avoid a war, she explains to magneto that she also had the zn'rx assassinated because her home planet was destroyed by the snakwar and she doesn't want it to happen again elsewhere and yet she is about to suffer the same fate as that planet has krakoa and arakko ... nonsense.
    the only "ally" she has found and with whom she works are all genocidal sociopaths who destabilize the galaxy and are dangerous for the sol system... sorry but it's ridiculous and absolutely cliché who does she intend to protect in this way? how can she say that the mutants will destabilize the galaxy and are not ready for that when we see who she works with... her words are contradictory

then seriously how little she speaks with respect of orchis and karima in her data page (she seems to be wary of karima) they are monsters who have killed more mutants and humans even children since their implementation road that all arakki and krakoan have would say that she has more respect for orchis than for mutants it makes no sense.
    For the moment despite using them abigail doesn't seem to want to destroy orchis from the inside she says she will go with the winner krakoa or orchis but who would like to have nazis like orchis in the galaxy instead that mutant her allies and friends with whom she has saved the world several times and who have everything to succeed and have never been so powerful?

Seriously Betray Mutants:
    who have resurrection protocols, can terraform planets and have jamie braddock spawning spaceports and starships whenever he wants does that make sense for someone like abigail? what prevents abigail from having the sol system by remaining on the side of the mutants?
    How can she want to eliminate mutants and deprive the galaxy of superheroes, it makes no sense, what happened to Abigail between the end of empyre aftermath or she slaps carol because the avengers warned no one and innocent people were killed by the coatis, are they recruiting a sword until that betrayal that comes out of nowhere? that it is he to pass for that abigail goes from commander of the sword ready to do anything to protect the galaxy for years to another generic murderous traitor with an evil smile who wants to genocide innocent mutants without any reason, explanation or logic for justify his behavior that made a 180 degree turn as incoherent and ridiculous as moira, the x office had a contest to see which one will write and ruin the best our favorite mutants have? criticized a lot percy and moira's treatment but abigail is also bad written for the moment and moira has at least the excuse of being crazy and thinking of having been betrayed by krakoa to try to justify her insane behavior, even nature girl is more coherent lol.

At the moment the poor characterization of abigail prevents me from fully appreciating x-men red, Ewing is a good writer but I think Brand's characterization is a faux pas. I love her both as a mutant ally and as someone with her own interests, but not as a shameless backstabber.

I can kind of understand mutant baddies like mikhail working with anti mutants, The problem is that Brand was never portrayed as having bad intentions, she was always the Nick Fury / Maria Hill of the X-Men not to mention she's already gone out of her way to help the X-Men. mutants inwhedon or Gillen's race.

i'm rereading abigail's run now and i think the character has nothing to do with what al ewing has done with her now i find her even softer than i thought at the time, maria hill has always been good worse and yet she did not end up at orchis her.
    I would have preferred that kieron gillen continued to write abigail it was he who had made her a mutant who despite that coldness protected and helped the mutant cause in secret
    Actually if you were following to abigail its not a betrayal. She never said she worked for krakoa she literally says she is a spacer she thinks in solar systems and to her the whole mutant vs humans thing is redundant. Which is true, she is thinking on a bigger level and will do whatever is necessary as she has always been an ends justify the means kind of girl. Which is perfectly in line with her charachter.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Loved this, though Storm vs Vulcan was a bit "It's Omega, I don't gotta explain ****!". Brand is a magnificent rotter and Eden sees right through her, with Cable and the rest too of them too "X-Force" to get they're being played. Again, we see something way more like a "mutant CIA" than we'll ever get in X-Force, with way better execution.

Al Ewing is probably a safer pair of hands to execute Hickman's plans than Hickman himself.
    Yeah ewing is creating the perfect storm of conflict for the x titles. I strongly believe that this book will become the flagship seeing as it is tackling the hickman plot threads.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    She's being written the exact same way as she was in SWORD so I'm not seeing the confusion. The only difference is that she's admitted to underestimating Storm and her affect on the Arakki people. Like she said she thought she would be getting the "Queen of Wakanda" Storm (beautiful, regal, patient, and empathetic but ultimately a figurehead and ineffectual) Instead she's getting Queen of the Morlocks, leader of the misfits. Which in my opinion highlight and even bigger problem with Brand's handling of Storm. She keeps trying to put Ororo in a box.

Brand's strength and weakness is the fact that she's a highly analytical person and approaches individuals as such, people aren't people. Her problem with Storm is that she's trying to categorize Storm as only ONE THING, Queen of Wakanda/Queen of the Morlocks. But as issue #1 highlighted Storm isn't just one thing. She's a Queen, a thief, a warrior, a friend, a Mother, and a Goddess.
    Up until now she was manipulating everybody, running in circles around them... now she has become as subtle as a sledhammer... Anybody with a couple functional brain cells should be able to see that she is: 1.-using the Krakoans to make a power play in Arakko and 2.-probably using Vulcan to spark a Krakoa-Arakko war...

Yeah this book is always going to be a win for me. I would have preferred Eden to go on one mission before dipping just cause I like to see the guy in action. I would have also liked to see an extended fight between Vulcan and Storm, though we might get a rematch sooner rather than later.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    She just proved that she was
    On this occasion she beat his ***, but if he is fully focused, she surely might lose.

Vulcan is confirmed to be one of the most Powerful Energy Manipulators in The Entire Galaxy. Do not forget he slaughtered Banshee, Corsair and half of the Imperial Guard single handed. You should not take Gabriel lightly.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Up until now she was manipulating everybody, running in circles around them... now she has become as subtle as a sledhammer... Anybody with a couple functional brain cells should be able to see that she is: 1.-using the Krakoans to make a power play in Arakko and 2.-probably using Vulcan to spark a Krakoa-Arakko war...
    Yeah, major Norman Osborne Dark Avengers vibes to the X-Men Red team (basically morally flexible c-listers, former villains, a proper hero who should know better, and an out-of-control powerhouse). Cable already doesn't trust her, of course, but maybe not to the extent that he should.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 05-19-2022 at 04:16 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Considering Sunspot has known that Brand has been up to something for awhile now per issue #1 she obviously wasn't running circles around "everybody".

I think it's less an issue of Brand's "IQ dropping" and more so she's dealing with people who are much more politically competent (Sunspot, Magneto, and Storm) than her usually SWORD team barring Cable and Manifold.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    On this occasion she beat his ***, but if he is fully focused, she surely might lose.

Vulcan is confirmed to be one of the most Powerful Energy Manipulators in The Entire Galaxy. Do not forget he slaughtered Banshee, Corsair and half of the Imperial Guard single handed. You should not take Gabriel lightly.
    I agree and think Ewing agrees with you as well which is why that bit of dialogue between Brand and Gabriel hinted at Gabriel not working at his fullest potential, but then again neither was Storm.

I suspect that a round 2 with Gabriel will see Ororo pushed to her limits and maybe even lose but Storm still has her godhood which she has yet to tap into because after all Arrako needs something more than just a Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Brand is going to get what she wants. As someone pointed out to me Abigail Brand has already suffered 4 L's already.
    -The Failed Assaciantion Attempt on Xandra
    -S.W.O.R.D Station being saved by Eden from falling from Orbit.
    -Disrupt Krakoa/Arakkii relation ships.
    -Create an X-Men Team that the Arakki will look up too and LOVE.

AND I believe Abigail's plan to put Vulcan on the Great Ring will backfire, because we know by the Solicitations that Magneto is going to replace Tarn. so that's L #5.

Abigail Brand is racking up L's and Storm and her Team are racking up W's.
    The first two are not Abigail's losses. They were orchestrated by Gryrich and manipulated into failures by Brand so she could use them as justification to replace him on Orchis and kill him. She didn't really want Xandra killed, and she used the falling space station to keep Cable and Manifold occupied to she could assassinate Gyrich for his failures that she manipulated. Those are definitely not Ls for her.

As for disrupting Krakoa/Arakkii, she realized her first tactic didn't work because she underestimated Storm and her impact on the Arakkii people. She's not giving up, but regrouping and trying a different approach, but getting Vulcan on the leading council. This isn't a failure, at least not yet. This is a long term play, and because one thing didn't work, doesn't mean it's a failure. This is a set back, at best.

As for her X-Men, well she formed her team. She doesn't really want them loved by the Arakki. That's just part of the bull she selling the members of the team. She's taking a heavy handed approach because she KNOWS it won't work and will cause more strife with the Arakki. I say this one is right on task for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

One of the most powerful doesnt mean THE most powerful. I do agree that a fully focused vulcan will do waaay more... but ultimately it will go to storm, why? Because she is right. She is an omega like him and an energy manipulator like him. So in the end it will come down to who is the most strong willed of the two and in that regard storm simply cant be matched by Vulcan.

Also the main way I see vulcan decimating storm in battle is if he goes really big. Like destroy all arakko big distracting storm for him to get the finishing blow in. But in a manipulation contest with two beings who have incalculable raw power the winner will always be the one with the strongest will.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Tarn is going to fk him up.
    Not if he uses Tarn's greatest weakness against him...KNIVES!!!