Astonishing Member

Default CGC plans to start grading VHS tapes.

Coming as no surprise given the booming VHS market (both in the States and Internationally), CGC have announced plans to start grading VHS tapes.

https://www.cbr.com/cgc-vintage-vhs-...aE9fB_H4J02mBE

As someone who is heavily involved in the VHS collectors scene here in Australia, I can't fathom how the grading process for this will even work. Does a grader only grade the picture and sound quality of the tape only? (Graders having to watch the tape from beginning to end is an amusing thought).

Do they also grade the slick (insert)? The case (cardboard case in the States. Plastic here in Australia)? The state of the cassette and labels? All of the above? Separate grades for each?

CGC have a tendency to manipulate market figures with their grades in other collectible scenes such as comics, cards, video games, so not too thrilled with the potential can of worms this may open.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Coming as no surprise given the booming VHS market (both in the States and Internationally), CGC have announced plans to start grading VHS tapes.

https://www.cbr.com/cgc-vintage-vhs-...aE9fB_H4J02mBE

As someone who is heavily involved in the VHS collectors scene here in Australia, I can't fathom how the grading process for this will even work. Does a grader only grade the picture and sound quality of the tape only? (Graders having to watch the tape from beginning to end is an amusing thought).

Do they also grade the slick (insert)? The case (cardboard case in the States. Plastic here in Australia)? The state of the cassette and labels? All of the above? Separate grades for each?

CGC have a tendency to manipulate market figures with their grades in other collectible scenes such as comics, cards, video games, so not too thrilled with the potential can of worms this may open.

Thoughts?
    Indictment of late stage capitalism we're all stuck in?

I am curious what tapes are worth more than garage sale prices?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

...I need to see how many VHS tapes I have, could be worth something.

So they are coping afa?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am curious what tapes are worth more than garage sale prices?
    Obscure horror titles mostly. If there isn't any other physical release for a movie other than a VHS (If it got one) those are worth big money to the right collector.

Song Of The South by Disney is another that comes to mind.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    So they are coping afa?

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what got CGC into doing this.

I hate the commodification of the object that is taking over media and effectively turning everything into trading cards. I understand slabbing trading cards as the totality of the card can be consumed while slabbed. It has a front and a back. I find it maddening to slab media that has value beyond that front and back, Frankly, I don't even really get it with comics, but at least there is some history to that. The move to turn everything into a collector's item just makes me really incredulous.

Mighty Member

I’m really got a fan of slabbing, especially media made to be enjoyee, not imprisoned in plastic walls.
    Most I use is bag and board, that way I can still read the comic I want and it sits a nice collector’s item.

I get it, I like collecting stuff as well, but to me, this seems like a way to just capitalise on something that People don’t even think about.
    I guess it makes money and it’s not harming me directly.
    But I feel this will serve long term harm, especially as prices will now go up for useless items because they are seen as a hot value.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Obscure horror titles mostly. If there isn't any other physical release for a movie other than a VHS (If it got one) those are worth big money to the right collector.

Song Of The South by Disney is another that comes to mind.
    Nothing says "Being able to watch something out of print and unavailable elsewhere" like sealing it in a giant plastic tomb.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans