Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

You know, I'd find most of these criticisms more valid if some here didn't seem to take the show's mere existence so personally.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    You know, I'd find most of these criticisms more valid if some here didn't seem to take the show's mere existence so personally.
    I mean, I think it's fine if you're a fan of the franchise and don't like what they're doing with it here, but that's just me.

A good number of critics that I follow on youtube, some like the more odd shows than others, yet for once, all agreed they did not like this show.

I've seen some clips, and its like they're trying to make Velma (the character) into Daria. But failing, hard.

Astonishing Member

If the criticism is valid, it would be valid regardless the person who said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I think it's fine if you're a fan of the franchise and don't like what they're doing with it here, but that's just me.
    Co-signed for truth.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I've seen some clips, and its like they're trying to make Velma (the character) into Daria. But failing, hard.
    Well, Velma is not Daria in the first place, so can't say I'm surpised.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Agree. Also, this won't be the last iteration of the Scooby-Doo gang. Even if you hate this show, there'll be another thing before long with them, that'll likely be a more traditional take. As with most fandom these days, the most vitriolic seem to be ranting about something more than "I don't like this show."

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, Velma is not Daria in the first place, so can't say I'm surpised.
    They took the dry humor based part of Daria, particularly when commented on what was going, and made Velma a jerk to everyone (to put it mildly, and PG friendly).

Took me awhile to appreciate Daria for what it was. I honestly doubt that years from now Velma will hold up as well. Then again there will likely still be some people who enjoy it for being "different" than what the Scooby-Doo IP has done before. Ultimate Spider-Man was kind of like that for me, I hated that show at first, now I have more appreciation for it.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    No. Not any more than the current leadership already does by just general incompetence, at least.

And the reason a lot of people bring up Mystery Inc is because it brought a lot of people who lost interest in the franchise a long time ago back into the fold, myself among them. Just saying.
    Oh yeah, Mystery Inc was great. I watched that, the original 60s show, What's New Scooby-Doo simultaniously as a kid.

BANNED

I've been pretty chill with all the iterations of the Scooby gang over the decades, including Scrappy and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.

I'm no fan of race-bending virtue-signaling, but there was still a chance for Velma to provide some saving charm, like appealing to the franchise's strengths that transcend race. But the show is following the utterly stupid practice of alienating / insulting fans and condescending its source material as it proceeds with its insipid modern-day identity politicking.

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    I've been pretty chill with all the iterations of the Scooby gang over the decades, including Scrappy and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.

I'm no fan of race-bending virtue-signaling, but there was still a chance for Velma to provide some saving charm, like appealing to the franchise's strengths that transcend race. But the show is following the utterly stupid practice of alienating / insulting fans and condescending its source material as it proceeds with its insipid modern-day identity politicking.
    Indeed, the show is very meanspirited and the characters are highly unlikeable.

Diverse characters can work well but only when they are allowed to be fully realized characters rather than walking stereotypes who are equal parts misery and lecturers. One of my favorite current animated shows the fantasy yarn The Legend of Vox Machina is chalked full of diverse characters (one of my favorite characters is the nonbinary secondary character shop owner Shaun Gilmore) but they feel like they belong in the world and are far from lecturing meanspirited stereotypes.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Agree. Also, this won't be the last iteration of the Scooby-Doo gang. Even if you hate this show, there'll be another thing before long with them, that'll likely be a more traditional take.
    And I think this is where a lot of the pearl clutching is coming from. Like, wait five min and there'll be another iteration for fans to nitpick.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

And I think this is where a lot of the pearl clutching is coming from. Like, wait five min and there'll be another iteration for fans to nitpick.
    There is a preschool cartoon with Scooby coming out for HBOMax (we can get that but not Haunted Holiday, but I digress), although we've still got the second half of this to go through.

The show is hit or miss for me. But hits enough for me to keep watching.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!