Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

It would have been cheaper to poach some Family Guy writers. They could knock something like this out in their sleep and they wouldn't charge as much as Mindy Kaling.

As for Mindy Kaling, is this the kind of stuff her audience likes? I don't watch her projects but she always struck me as the answer to the question of "What if Tina Fey was ten years younger less funny and a person of color."

She strikes me as someone whose audience's sensibilities would "fit" better in a cartoon that's more like Bob's Burgers. Something that's there for the sole purpose of being "liked" when you want to prove you like animated comedies but can't bring yourself to name the ones that people actually like because they are too gauche
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It very much is for the general audience, or atleast the general audience of HBO Max.
    Not it's not. Being appropriate for all ages is a prerequisite for general audiences. Seeing how the very first image of this series is of a murdered woman with her head scalped with the insides showing that's out the window. The nudity definitely wouldn't fly in a general audience product. This is a targeted product.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Was wondering if anyone else on here had watched that. Not saying its the best thing there (no talking Scooby? I am appalled!), but even with the "dark elements", its more tasteful in one hour long episode than the still that this animated almost Family Guy-style looking series presented. And the live action one is tackling the 13 Ghosts while the gang is in high school and not yet all connected.
    At least it actually had Scooby. Last I checked I don't think he's in this one at all.

I guess I'll eventually check out the actual episode whenever it comes out. If I can relate, fine. If I can't, I'll just leave it alone.

I'm reminded of the comics that "updated" the Flintstones, the Jetsons, and Snagglepuss. Mixed results, to me.

broadly speaking, I think sometimes pastiche characters are better for telling other, "wilder", "provocative", "super-edgy" stories. I think it would be kind of messed up to have Garth Ennis's The Pro adapted but starring DC or Marvel characters.
    I have no interest in the story where Wonder Woman or Power Girl is (CENSORED) while they're with Superman and (CENSORED) is going on and, etc.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 05-22-2022 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least it actually had Scooby. Last I checked I don't think he's in this one at all.
    True. Kind of hoping that through some voodoo or other magic, that their Scooby becomes anthropomorphic. It has potential. Its darker, yes. And not really comedy driven (sadly), but it does have humor. And Scooby Doo has had success in darker series, like Zombie Island and Witch's Curse. They even had a decent portrayal of the Hex Girls.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Not it's not. Being appropriate for all ages is a prerequisite for general audiences. Seeing how the very first image of this series is of a murdered woman with her head scalped with the insides showing that's out the window. The nudity definitely wouldn't fly in a general audience product. This is a targeted product.
    The general audience for HBO Max isn't all age appropriate.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

This is not for a general audience. Taking a family family franchise and making a bloody and gorier reboot of it is the oppose of general audience. That has a specific target.
    You're being too literal. The point is, they need the broadest range of the target audience (in this case, adults) to be interested. If the only interest they can get are adult Scooby-Doo fans, that won't be enough for it to be a success.

I would dispute Star Wars being a success story considering the state of the series. We are suppose to get a new Star Wars every year but the movies have been put on ice. The merch based on the sequel movies collected dust on shelves and Disney as a whole is avoiding touching sequel timeline with their newer material. The Mandalorian dominates the brand now and that's because that's what the fans actually like.
    Exactly.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Like are we talking an MCU-style general audience...?

I think it's pretty clear this is an adult cartoon. I guess if we gauge that as the general audience for HBOMax (even the new WB head seems to think so)...

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    You're being too literal. The point is, they need the broadest range of the target audience (in this case, adults) to be interested. If the only interest they can get are adult Scooby-Doo fans, that won't be enough for it to be a success.

Exactly.
    No I'm not. You are throwing out general audience like it's a catch all term. There's no way to make something that is clearly an adult cartoon to appeal to everyone. There's nothing wrong with being a product with a specific audience in mind. It will stronger creativity for it but you need to call it for what it is.

Even if you want to narrow it to just HBO Max it still wouldn't apply because there's content for all ages. Or am I to assume that the new Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, and Jellystone is meant for the same adult audience as Velma? Maybe the various teen dramas is probably for them too?

They just announced a Scooby preschool cartoon that almost feels like it was made to deliberately contrast with this show because it actually has Scooby (and Shaggy) in it, with their traditional VA's, and is actually for kids.

BANNED

They just announced a Scooby preschool cartoon that almost feels like it was made to deliberately contrast with this show because it actually has Scooby (and Shaggy) in it, with their traditional VA's, and is actually for kids.
    Well, even younger kids than usual...

I kinda want this to be a new incarceration of a pup named Scooby Doo

Velma show confirmed still coming out, so we are still getting the gory nude woman filled scooby show.

https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-nycc...mortal-kombat/

Here's shaggy, Fred and Daphne

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...uoWibOJOw&s=19

Look at that, the show is labeled adult.

There are children shows on Max. Sesame Street is on there ffs.