Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed, the show is very meanspirited and the characters are highly unlikeable.

Diverse characters can work well but only when they are allowed to be fully realized characters rather than walking stereotypes who are equal parts misery and lecturers. One of my favorite current animated shows the fantasy yarn The Legend of Vox Machina is chalked full of diverse characters (one of my favorite characters is the nonbinary secondary character shop owner Shaun Gilmore) but they feel like they belong in the world and are far from lecturing meanspirited stereotypes.
    Well, Vox Machina does use a lot of dark humor, but they do it the right way. Like everyone's first kill. So, kind of mean-spirited, but its meant to be dark humor in a dark fantasy series.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, Vox Machina does use a lot of dark humor, but they do it the right way. Like everyone's first kill. So, kind of mean-spirited, but its meant to be dark humor in a dark fantasy series.
    Not as meanspirited as Velma I would argue. I agree that some humor of Vox Machina certainly is dark, granted, however, the main characters are not consistently unlikable jerks to everyone else and each other. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough about what I meant by meanspirited in this context.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-23-2023 at 10:01 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

What’s mean spirited in Velma?

I’m just on episode 3 and I haven’t noticed that yet.

Ultimate Member

Anyways, the only thing keeping me watching this is the central mystery.

It’s not as funny as the writers think it is so far. Some of the jokes don’t really have a proper punchline.

But as I said, I’m curious enough about the central mystery to keep watching so far. That aspect of the series is fairly well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Anyways, the only thing keeping me watching this is the central mystery.

It’s not as funny as the writers think it is so far. Some of the jokes don’t really have a proper punchline.

But as I said, I’m curious enough about the central mystery to keep watching so far. That aspect of the series is fairly well done.
    I have the feeling the villain would have gotten away with it if it's not for those kids!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The whole courtroom scene with Fred in episode 2 seems pretty mean spirited to me

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    The whole courtroom scene with Fred in episode 2 seems pretty mean spirited to me
    I can see how it could be viewed as mean-spirited. I dont necessarily see it that way but I understand where people are coming from with this.

The series (thus far) does seem a bit hard on Fred.

But since its tied to the central mystery I want to see how it all plays out.

The shower/fight scene, Fred cuts the leg off a random character, how Velma treats Shaggy, how Velma treats her father and how he treats her, how Fred is treated in general, the tone of the jokes in general, Daphne is a hate-filled drug dealer, and the list goes on and on.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-24-2023 at 11:05 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."