Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I have to see it before I make a desicion.
    The Looney Toons reboot however which was very gory, was not to my liking to say the least.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

IS that naked redhead suppose to Daphne?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    IS that naked redhead suppose to Daphne?
    Would you like it to be?

I kid, but the main complaints I’ve heard is that the art
    Ick the cal art or "gumball" art. Many animation fans hate it with a passion.

If used right it's fine but many people say it makes the cartoons look ugly.

Here's a 80s vs cal arts chart that's been everywhere.

[IMG][/IMG]

Speaking as an adult who likes Scooby-Doo, this is very much not for me at all. Since I don't have HBO Max, I can't watch it anyways, but I don't like gory stuff in general and it's always a dealbreaker for me when any of the core five characters are removed, so it being marketed as a good thing that Scooby himself and the Mystery Machine are not around is a huge red flag for me. (Call me boring, but all I want from Scooby-Doo is the classic formula of the original show with creative tweaks and twists and/or more depth in the writing, not a complete overhaul into something different.)
    As an adult who likes Scooby Doo and likes gore, I still don't want gory Scooby Doo.

I mean, I like spaghetti and I like Ice cream, but if you try to mix them together and serve them as one food I won't eat it.

There was a movie I saw once called Saturday Morning Massacre that was basically gory Scooby-Doo, and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't ACTUALLY Scooby Doo. It was it's own thing. Also I'm against any kind of Scooby-Doo spin-off that doesn't even have Scooby-Doo.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i was always pretty bored by scooby doo when i was a kid, so much so that i never even looked at any of the subsequent reboots/versions that came later so maybe for me a more adult tone would be an improvement

loved the venture bros parody version though

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Heck, even that new Warner Brothers MMORPG has classic Velma (complete with Kate Micucci voicing her).
    Just to be nitpicky, but if you're referring to Multiversus that's a mascot fighter not an MMORPG. Unless there's an MMORPG coming out that I'm not aware of, in which case I would like to know

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    i was always pretty bored by scooby doo when i was a kid, so much so that i never even looked at any of the subsequent reboots/versions that came later so maybe for me a more adult tone would be an improvement

loved the venture bros parody version though
    The best Scooby Doo for people who are bored by Scooby Doo would be Mystery Incorporated. Dark, mysterious, with long storylines.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Ick the cal art or "gumball" art. Many animation fans hate it with a passion.

If used right it's fine but many people say it makes the cartoons look ugly.

Here's a 80s vs cal arts chart that's been everywhere.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Oh God...
    Let's not start this conversation with the art style of many animated shows of this era.
    I still can't explain who thought making the Thundercats and Aquaman looking like pigs would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Just to be nitpicky, but if you're referring to Multiversus that's a mascot fighter not an MMORPG. Unless there's an MMORPG coming out that I'm not aware of, in which case I would like to know
    Yeah, I was thinking of Multiversus; I just assumed that it was an MMORPG for some reason.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Admittedly, I’ve always been ambivalent about Scooby-Doo, never was a big fan of the show, but, I never disliked it either. That said, it’s clear Kaling is going for the shock value with Velma, reaching for the low hanging fruit that finds Harley Quinn entertaining (watched it during a trial run of HBO Now and found it infantile). Now, if it weren’t for the SD tie-in, there wouldn’t be all this hue and cry from pissed off fans of the old show, and everyone knows it, including Kaling. By the by, if her show tanks, don’t be shocked if she cries racism as a reason for its failure.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-20-2022 at 06:23 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Admittedly, I’ve always been ambivalent about Scooby-Doo, never was a big fan of the show, but, I never disliked it either. That said, it’s clear Kaling is going for the shock value with Velma, reaching for the low hanging fruit that finds Harley Quinn entertaining (watched it during a trial run of HBO Now and found it infantile).
    Yeah. There could well be more under the hood (like how the Star Trek adult cartoon Lower Decks showed the comedy elements in its marketing, while the show itself actually had a serious side to offset the humor and good-natured ribbing of its source material); I mean, we still don't have all the pieces. But it sure does seem like shock value is the name of the game so far. Releasing a NSFW image from an official installment of a children's franchise at least seems to be trying to make a statement.

Now, if it weren’t for the SD tie-in, there wouldn’t be all this hue and cry from pissed off fans of the old show, and everyone knows it, including Kaling.
    Has Kaling gone into detail why she wanted to do R-rated Scooby-Doo? Most of the conversation seemed to be tied into Velma being reimagined as an Indian-American character, which should be a non-issue, really, and is something that makes sense, given Kaling's involvement. I'm still in the dark, though, why it being an adult cartoon was considered the way to go.

By the by, if her show tanks, don’t be shocked if she cries racism as a reason for its failure.
    Sadly, there has been racist pushback since day one and I wouldn't be surprised if some people will use the "gore and nudity don't belong in Scooby-Doo" perspective as a cover for being mad over Velma not being white in this specific cartoon. Frankly, it would at least look plausible that racism would play a factor into a hypothetical failure, all things considered. While stuff like this that stays far from the original formula has generally not been as well-received (e.g. Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue, that Daphne & Velma direct-to-video movie), not to mention the usual gamble of whether any TV show is good or bad, it doesn't seem to be the driving force in the conversation.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Sadly, there has been racist pushback since day one and I wouldn't be surprised if some people will use the "gore and nudity don't belong in Scooby-Doo" perspective as a cover for being mad over Velma not being white in this specific cartoon. Frankly, it would at least look plausible that racism would play a factor into a hypothetical failure, all things considered. While stuff like this that stays far from the original formula has generally not been as well-received (e.g. Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue, that Daphne & Velma direct-to-video movie), not to mention the usual gamble of whether any TV show is good or bad, it doesn't seem to be the driving force in the conversation.
    Mindy was the one who fired the first shot. In cases like this the creatives attacking the fanbase is what leads to projects like this failing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    As an adult who likes Scooby Doo and likes gore, I still don't want gory Scooby Doo.

I mean, I like spaghetti and I like Ice cream, but if you try to mix them together and serve them as one food I won't eat it.

There was a movie I saw once called Saturday Morning Massacre that was basically gory Scooby-Doo, and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't ACTUALLY Scooby Doo. It was it's own thing. Also I'm against any kind of Scooby-Doo spin-off that doesn't even have Scooby-Doo.
    Yes this whole concept is just bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Mindy was the one who fired the first shot.
    How to we know that? (Also worth considering if you're ticking off the racists, you're probably doing something right in the first place.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    In cases like this the creatives attacking the fanbase is what leads to projects like this failing.
    Guess we'll never know for sure, considering how secretive streaming services are r.e. their viewing numbers. If the show doesn't get enough views to be worth continuing, WB will probably just say that it was always intended to be a miniseries and they're happy to have collaborated with Kaling on it.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Most of the conversation seemed to be tied into Velma being reimagined as an Indian-American character, which should be a non-issue, really, and is something that makes sense, given Kaling's involvement.
    I don't think it's a non-issue, but at the same time, I don't think it's the issue that other people probabaly think it is.

My issue is that they changed the design of the character and made them into something they weren't before. It's not all that different than if Fred showed up and he was fat and wore and eyepatch or if Shaggy had short black hair.