Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

I was talking about this with my Dad today actually. It would be VERY pricey for Disney to buy Netflix, but I think they have the market cap to do it. Just issue more shares or borrow money or whatever and take a chance. I'm not sure if Netflix stock will ever be this "cheap" again (even if Disney has to pay a premium to purchase Netflix). I always wondered why the big tech companies didn't buy Netflix a decade ago. It wasn't THAT expensive then. And Apple, Amazon, Disney or whatever could just build off the streaming infrastructure that Netflix already built instead of going through the hassle of creating their OWN streaming service. That way Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm and Pixar wouldn't feel the pressure to create so much content and cause oversaturation with their properties. Plus, if Disney buys Netflix they could do more "adult" things and increase its subscriber base considerably. Just my two cents.

What would happen if Disney buys Netflix? There are many things to consider.
    * Problems with anti-trust laws, for a start. Disney already has Disney+ and a controlling share of Hulu.
    * If you keep them as independent streaming services, you may have problems getting people to subscribe to all your services. And if you place it all in a combined one, it would get really dark. They may accept the Defenders because they are Marvel properties, but can you picture Disney+ hosting "Money Heist" or "The Squid Game"?
    * It's just too expensive, even with Netflix's financial problems.
    * Streaming services were a huge thing during the pandemic, but interest has declined a bit now that people can go outside home and live their lives. It's not as profitable now as it would have been back then. The ship has already sailed.
    * And it's not just expensive to buy the service itself. After it, all the ongoing series have to keep making new episodes... meaning, continuous investment. Meaning, money. On top of the money Disney already puts in their own properties.

What do you think of this operation, Mr. Stark?

I always felt that anti-trust laws might have prevented Apple, Amazon or Disney from buying Netflix earlier. But I think Disney is relying a LOT on Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar right now. I'm worried that Disney Plus is forcing Marvel and Star Wars to flood their service with content and hurting the quality of their products. If Disney had Netflix, Feige and Kennedy could take their sweet ass time working on less projects while Netflix does its thing. I would rather Marvel Studios take its time with any Daredevil project instead of rushing to put in on Disney Plus because they need more subs.

Some years ago we had the MCU and FOX releasing superhero films in similar paces. Now Disney has bought Fox and has the full rights to the X-Men... and the MCU works at the same pace, and we still have to see a single X-Men film coming from them. No, a merged Netflix/Disney+ would update any given series at a much slower rate than with both belonging to different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Some years ago we had the MCU and FOX releasing superhero films in similar paces. Now Disney has bought Fox and has the full rights to the X-Men... and the MCU works at the same pace, and we still have to see a single X-Men film coming from them. No, a merged Netflix/Disney+ would update any given series at a much slower rate than with both belonging to different people.
    I would much prefer a slower release pace myself. Three two-hour movies a year will not cause fatigue and oversaturation. But three five-hour plus shows and three two-hour movies a year seems like a lot to me. I'm not sure if a Netflix/Disney combo would make a difference in the release schedule for the Star Wars/Marvel/Pixar stuff, but there would be some variety for folks who wanna watch more "mature" content. I don't think Marvel Studios would permit Netflix making R-rated Marvel shows outside the MCU though if the two companies merged.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I would much prefer a slower release pace myself. Three two-hour movies a year will not cause fatigue and oversaturation. But three five-hour plus shows and three two-hour movies a year seems like a lot to me. I'm not sure if a Netflix/Disney combo would make a difference in the release schedule for the Star Wars/Marvel/Pixar stuff, but there would be some variety for folks who wanna watch more "mature" content. I don't think Marvel Studios would permit Netflix making R-rated Marvel shows outside the MCU though if the two companies merged.
    So you saying having 21 hours of content in a year is just too much? With 8760 hours in a year 21 is overloading to you? I think you nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    So you saying having 21 hours of content in a year is just too much? With 8760 hours in a year 21 is overloading to you? I think you nitpicking.
    I think it's too much. And I think it's too much for the creators at Marvel Studios. Sometimes I like re-watching previous MCU projects to understand things better. It's hard to do that if the shows and movies keep piling up. There's definitely been an increase in complaints about how much content Marvel is putting out ever since the Disney Plus shows started.

One thing is the way you run a franchise like the MCU. Another completely different thing is the way you run a streaming service like Disney+ or Netflix.

For a franchise, you need a measured balance between releases. Not too frequent because you may alienate the audience, and not too infrequent because the audience may forget about you.

But a streaming service? You need new things, in industrial numbers. You need to release a decent number of new films, series and series' seasons each month. The service has subscribers, but nobody is a fan of the service in itself, but of the things released in it. Any given fan will likely be interested in only some of the new releases, not all, and that's why it is important to be diversified.

And that's the problem with both Disney+ and all other studios that saw the success of Netflix and said "I'm going to build my own streaming service, with blackjack and hookers!". Lack of diversity. They are sucking everything from the MCU and Star Wars to make new releases all the time, because Disney+ does not have anything else. And Netflix? Yes, they produce their own series, but that's just a portion of their output. Several of their big releases, such as Money Heist and Squid Game, were actually obscure TV series released at some country, and that Netflix saw their potential, rescued from oblivion and made available to the international audiences. Disney likely won't add series under such conditions, Disney only shows Disney content... which is, by definition, much less.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    One thing is the way you run a franchise like the MCU. Another completely different thing is the way you run a streaming service like Disney+ or Netflix.

For a franchise, you need a measured balance between releases. Not too frequent because you may alienate the audience, and not too infrequent because the audience may forget about you.

But a streaming service? You need new things, in industrial numbers. You need to release a decent number of new films, series and series' seasons each month. The service has subscribers, but nobody is a fan of the service in itself, but of the things released in it. Any given fan will likely be interested in only some of the new releases, not all, and that's why it is important to be diversified.

And that's the problem with both Disney+ and all other studios that saw the success of Netflix and said "I'm going to build my own streaming service, with blackjack and hookers!". Lack of diversity. They are sucking everything from the MCU and Star Wars to make new releases all the time, because Disney+ does not have anything else. And Netflix? Yes, they produce their own series, but that's just a portion of their output. Several of their big releases, such as Money Heist and Squid Game, were actually obscure TV series released at some country, and that Netflix saw their potential, rescued from oblivion and made available to the international audiences. Disney likely won't add series under such conditions, Disney only shows Disney content... which is, by definition, much less.

I think you looking at it from a strictly USA view. Disney plus doesn't operate like that in other parts of the world. They have everything on their service.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I think it's too much. And I think it's too much for the creators at Marvel Studios. Sometimes I like re-watching previous MCU projects to understand things better. It's hard to do that if the shows and movies keep piling up. There's definitely been an increase in complaints about how much content Marvel is putting out ever since the Disney Plus shows started.

How can it be overloaded when you can watch whatever you want when you want? This is just a stupid mindset sorry. If you don't want to watch Mr Marvel or She hulk or whatever right now then don't freaking watch it.