Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    That's the problem with rebooting characters and franchises. You can only show Krypton being destroyed so many times. You can only show Thomas and Martha Wayne getting capped so many times. Those origin stories have already been told. Matt's origin story has already been told twice. So I would skip it just like Parker's was in Captain America 3. Make Murdock funnier and happier. Get younger MCU fans interested in the American justice system in a way that children can understand. Demonstrate ways that the general public can help people afflicted by visual impairment issues. All that good stuff. Daredevil should be interacting with other MCU heroes without having to hide who he is.
    I have to say getting rid of his secret identity would probably be a deal-breaker for me. I like secret identities, I like masks, those are part of what drew me to super-heroes in the first place.

That's the problem with rebooting characters and franchises. You can only show Krypton being destroyed so many times. You can only show Thomas and Martha Wayne getting capped so many times. Those origin stories have already been told. Matt's origin story has already been told twice. So I would skip it just like Parker's was in Captain America 3. Make Murdock funnier and happier. Get younger MCU fans interested in the American justice system in a way that children can understand. Demonstrate ways that the general public can help people afflicted by visual impairment issues. All that good stuff. Daredevil should be interacting with other MCU heroes without having to hide who he is.
    Then, DON'T reboot the character. The lead actor is available and people love his version of the character. Which is the need, then?

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, Daredevil only works without his secret id when he's trying to convince everyone he's not Daredevil. And as good as some of those stories can be, that doesn't work in the long term for the character. I mean, the moment he officially comes out is the moment he gets disbarred, most of the cases he's worked on gets overturned, and he possibly goes to jail. I like a tortured Matt as much as the next guy, but even I have my limits.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Yeah, but the 2003 Daredevil movie and the Netflix series already did that stuff. I feel it's better if Disney does something different and new with the character.
    Well, "did that stuff" - I mean, it's just expected of the character to a certain extent?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, "did that stuff" - I mean, it's just expected of the character to a certain extent?
    I mean, they really didn't do anything that different with Iron Man, Cap, and Dr. Strange. Sure it works for some characters, but it seems as if the MCU knows when to diverge and when to not. I'm pretty confident they'll know not to diverge too much with DD (thank god).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, they really didn't do anything that different with Iron Man, Cap, and Dr. Strange. Sure it works for some characters, but it seems as if the MCU knows when to diverge and when to not. I'm pretty confident they'll know not to diverge too much with DD (thank god).
    I feel like the characters that had difficult divergences were Thor and Spider-Man but that's my own personal preferences.

Shang-Chi kind of diverged more into Iron Fist territory but that seemed to work out for general audiences.

Eternals kind of diverged but who can say if a more straightforward take would've done any better.

Extraordinary Member

I feel like the characters that had difficult divergences were Thor and Spider-Man but that's my own personal preferences.
    I can see this. I seem to have liked the first Thor more than most, but also felt that the second earned every bit of scorn it received. OTOH, I loved the third one, which leaned heavily into what Hemsworth is good at as an actor as well as the strengths of the director. I can see how some of the more faithful comic fans would react differently, but I really did think that if they hadn't gone in a direction that was different than those first two movies (especially the second), the character would've gotten a significantly smaller role in Infinity War and Endgame and maybe no fourth movie at all.

As for Spider-Man, while I enjoyed all of the MCU offerings (and thought MCU Peter was the most comic accurate version to date personality-wise), I could've done without him starting out as Iron Man, Jr. I understand that these were probably planned out as a trilogy to get him to where we're most familiar with the character (alone, broke, and down-on-his-luck), but the fact that he had access to the almost unlimited resources of Stark Tech kind of turned me off.

That said, that third one is probably my favorite Spider-Man movie of all time.

Eternals kind of diverged but who can say if a more straightforward take would've done any better.
    Yeah, I'll be honest, I don't know where I would've even begun to adapt that. I can see how getting an Oscar-winning director would seem like the best idea they could've come up with.

I can see this. I seem to have liked the first Thor more than most, but also felt that the second earned every bit of scorn it received. OTOH, I loved the third one, which leaned heavily into what Hemsworth is good at as an actor as well as the strengths of the director. I can see how some of the more faithful comic fans would react differently, but I really did think that if they hadn't gone in a direction that was different than those first two movies (especially the second), the character would've gotten a significantly smaller role in Infinity War and Endgame and maybe no fourth movie at all.

As for Spider-Man, while I enjoyed all of the MCU offerings (and thought MCU Peter was the most comic accurate version to date personality-wise), I could've done without him starting out as Iron Man, Jr. I understand that these were probably planned out as a trilogy to get him to where we're most familiar with the character (alone, broke, and down-on-his-luck), but the fact that he had access to the almost unlimited resources of Stark Tech kind of turned me off.

That said, that third one is probably my favorite Spider-Man movie of all time.
    Someone else who liked the first Thor movie .

I think on a standalone level Ragnarok works for what it's trying to be, but not as a Thor movie.

He wisecracks too little for me to fully buy-in to MCU Peter (beyond the Iron Man Jr. aspect, but they've finally done away with that).

But y'know, I know it would never happen, but Spider-Man showing up in DD's show would be amazing.

Extraordinary Member

Someone else who liked the first Thor movie .
    I mean, chances were there had to be at least another one of us.

I think on a standalone level Ragnarok works for what it's trying to be, but not as a Thor movie.
    I can see that. The way I look at it is that at some point you have to lean into what the cast and crew are good at rather than just how faithful it is to the comic. Depending on how you look at it, the two aren't always going to line up. Feige and the rest of the higher ups at Marvel probably expected Hemsworth would embody more of the traditional approach to the character, but when they realized that he had even better comedic chops, they decided that they should take advantage of those instead.

But y'know, I know it would never happen, but Spider-Man showing up in DD's show would be amazing.
    Depending on the Sony deal, I don't see it entirely out of the realm of possibility (the fact that Sam Jackson appeared at all in AOS still stuns me). He wouldn't even necessarily have to show up in costume.

I hope it takes what we know about the Netflix series but then put their own spin on it. Recast characters that didnt work, and have others be slightly different. I'd love to have Elektra back but have her leading The Hand. Have her actually get to go head to head with Bullseye (and maybe not die), play it up.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    I hope it takes what we know about the Netflix series but then put their own spin on it. Recast characters that didnt work, and have others be slightly different. I'd love to have Elektra back but have her leading The Hand. Have her actually get to go head to head with Bullseye (and maybe not die), play it up.
    I like everything you said.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I can see that. The way I look at it is that at some point you have to lean into what the cast and crew are good at rather than just how faithful it is to the comic. Depending on how you look at it, the two aren't always going to line up. Feige and the rest of the higher ups at Marvel probably expected Hemsworth would embody more of the traditional approach to the character, but when they realized that he had even better comedic chops, they decided that they should take advantage of those instead.
    To me it just really feels like they squandered Asgard and the mythos in one form or another, or didn't really care about it and that showed in Ragnarok and the way they characterized Thor.
    Depending on the Sony deal, I don't see it entirely out of the realm of possibility (the fact that Sam Jackson appeared at all in AOS still stuns me). He wouldn't even necessarily have to show up in costume.
    I think there'd be more of a point to it being in-costume. Post-NWH this is now really Spider-Man's time to shine.

Remember that Spider-Man appears in the MCU as part of a deal between Marvel and Sony. Marvel probably won't waste their limited number of times to use the character for a mere cameo.

Save for WandaVision, I've been pretty disappointed by the MCU series. I hope they follow as close as possible the tone of the Daredevil Netflix show, that it is a follow up of said series and that they improve the few mistakes it commited (as you might guess, I was a fan of DD). After the bad Moon Knight show (as in "I didn't like it", not that general audiences hated it or that it underperformed. I don't know the overall opinion), I'm crossing fingers that the series stays as a superhero urban crime drama
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

BANNED

Pretty sceptical about this.
    The Disney Plus shows were not what Disney had expected to be.
    Personally I liked some parts of WandaVision and Loki and What If in it's entirety. The rest were mediocre and I haven't got the chance to see Moon Knight.
    Only the Mandalorian seems to be a huge seller the way the MCU was in the past.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 05-22-2022 at 11:46 AM.