Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Seriously?! Wow very interesting if true.
    Well, it would actually kind of make sense on that show. And I remember in a past run on She-Hulk he did make an appearance while Waid was on his title. While I wasn't the biggest fan of his runs, my hope is somewhere in between the Netflix show and (tone-wise) Falcon & the Winter Soldier (or hell, maybe even Hawkeye).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Sure, but after all this time, Marvel seems to know what works and what doesn't. Just by bringing in Cox and D'nofrio, they are full-on acknowledging that the approach the Netflix show took worked. They seem too smart just to overlook that.

He already is with all of the other content on the site. Like I said, painting the entire universe with the same stroke is always a bad idea.

Well, depending on what their parents say, it really may not be suitable for them. And again, I don't know why it has to be. It's not like Marvel's hurting for viewers and need to make a move so transparently desperate as watering down a character to the point where all of his appeal is taken away.

A fresh start, sure. Ditching what made the show appealing and replacing it with something that it's not, not so much.
    I appreciate and understand your sentiments on what you hope to see in a DD series. I totally respect the views of long time Daredevil fans and how they wanted him adapted on the big and small screens. I personally think it's quite likely that Disney takes Matt in a completely new direction. I would prefer a visual tone that is COLORFUL, as opposed to the dark and rainy situations Murdock often finds himself in. I also think it would be cool if he actually spends some time on the West Coast. He could then hang with Ant-Man and Shang-Chi which could be really funny. All I'm saying is that Feige's MCU is pretty much all about TEAMS. Whether it's the Avengers or the Guardians. No hero stands alone in the MCU. Not even Spider-Man. So I think it's quite likely Daredevil has partnerships with other heroes:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I appreciate and understand your sentiments on what you hope to see in a DD series. I totally respect the views of long time Daredevil fans and how they wanted him adapted on the big and small screens. I personally think it's quite likely that Disney takes Matt in a completely new direction. I would prefer a visual tone that is COLORFUL, as opposed to the dark and rainy situations Murdock often finds himself in. I also think it would be cool if he actually spends some time on the West Coast. He could then hang with Ant-Man and Shang-Chi which could be really funny. All I'm saying is that Feige's MCU is pretty much all about TEAMS. Whether it's the Avengers or the Guardians. No hero stands alone in the MCU. Not even Spider-Man. So I think it's quite likely Daredevil has partnerships with other heroes:
    While I didn't care much for the plot of Moon Knight, I wouldn't mind something similar to that tone as well. I also appreciated the fact that the showrunners even refused an Eternals cameo. The fact that they wanted to have the show stand on it's own was something I respected immensely.

Like I said, it would just seem to be detrimental not to incorporate what they already know is a winning formula and what made the original Netflix show such a hit to begin with. If they go an entirely different direction, they might as well have recasted entirely.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I would like to see the same kick arse-ness but bring in more c-d-e-z list heroes and villains. Sure an a lister every now and then, but these TV series can help revitalize a character. Heck, look at what Happened to Kite-Man!
    How about a nice tussle with Wrecking crew etc. Stuff like that...

While I didn't care much for the plot of Moon Knight, I wouldn't mind something similar to that tone as well. I also appreciated the fact that the showrunners even refused an Eternals cameo. The fact that they wanted to have the show stand on it's own was something I respected immensely.

Like I said, it would just seem to be detrimental not to incorporate what they already know is a winning formula and what made the original Netflix show such a hit to begin with. If they go an entirely different direction, they might as well have recasted entirely.
    I did like that aspect of Moon Knight too (no cameos). I feel Phase Four has gone OVERBOARD with the cameos and I'm getting annoyed by it at this point. I enjoyed Isaac's and Hawke's acting and the series' deep dive into Egyptology. However, I think "casual" audiences might have been a bit confused by Moon Knight. I imagine DD stories are a little bit more straight-forward for general audiences to follow. I feel Feige had no choice BUT to cast the old Daredevil actors/actresses. They were too popular for him NOT to.

I personally believe Marvel Studios NEEDS Daredevil's show to be a home run. I don't think any of Disney Plus's Marvel shows have made much of a cultural ripple outside of WandaVision (hopefully that will soon change with Ms. Marvel). So that's why I'm okay with Disney taking its time with this particular series. As I've stated elsewhere I have a lot of doubts about Marvel's strategy of releasing three five-hour shows and three two-hour movies per year. That's a LOT for viewers to absorb. I think it will benefit DD's show immensely if Marvel Studios slows things down.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 06-07-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I personally believe Marvel Studios NEEDS Daredevil's show to be a home run. I don't think any of Disney Plus's Marvel shows have made much of a cultural ripple outside of WandaVision (hopefully that will soon change with Ms. Marvel). So that's why I'm okay with Disney taking its time with this particular series. As I've stated elsewhere I have a lot of doubts about Marvel's strategy of releasing three five-hour shows and three two-hour movies per year. That's a LOT for viewers to absorb. I think it will benefit DD's show immensely if Marvel Studios slows things down.
    Honestly, I really don't think Marvel really needs DD to be as big of a hit as you're implying. Loki's already filming their second season, What If? is getting a second season, Falcon & the Winter Soldier is spinning off into a movie, everyone seemed to love Kate Bishop, and rumor has it Wanda's getting her own movie. I think with something like the Netflix shows they can afford to make them more niche. I don't know if that's actually going to happen, but like I said, it would be a shame to throw away what they already know is a winning formula. I mean, if everyone didn't already love it as much as they did, they wouldn't've bothered to bring the same cast back.

Honestly, I really don't think Marvel really needs DD to be as big of a hit as you're implying. Loki's already filming their second season, What If? is getting a second season, Falcon & the Winter Soldier is spinning off into a movie, everyone seemed to love Kate Bishop, and rumor has it Wanda's getting her own movie. I think with something like the Netflix shows they can afford to make them more niche. I don't know if that's actually going to happen, but like I said, it would be a shame to throw away what they already know is a winning formula. I mean, if everyone didn't already love it as much as they did, they wouldn't've bothered to bring the same cast back.
    What I like about the MCU is that whenever they had a "disappointing" project, they would come roaring back with something amazing. Iron Man was the best MCU film until the first Avengers film (the films in between were pretty good though), Winter Soldier and Guardians 1 renewed the MCU's momentum after people were disappointed with Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 (which were decent enough films), and Ragnarok was such a major improvement for Marvel after the relative "letdown" of Avengers 2 (I actually really enjoyed that picture). And then 2018 and 2019 were really amazing years for the MCU with Far from Home wrapping things up with a bang. I just feel WandaVision had more of a widespread appeal than the other Marvel Disney Plus stuff. I mean the other shows had great viewership, but I recall Wanda's series absolutely DOMINATING discussions back in early 2021. It was HUGE. And I think NWH was just as tremendous. Easily one of the best MCU movies to date. But to me, that's about it. Other than Shang-Chi (which is actually one of my favorite MCU projects), I think the rest of Phase Four has been a bit messy. I usually don't pay attention to stuff like critical and commercial success for MCU movies and shows, because I've taken for granted that they would all be well-received. But the reviews from critics and audiences were pretty rough for the Eternals and the MoM. Way rougher than I ever had anticipated. So I do feel that maybe Disney is trying to do too much too quickly. I think Ms. Marvel and Thor will be MUCH more likely to succeed because they aren't really burdened by the weight of great expectations. That's where Daredevil could run into some trouble. Because that show WILL have high expectations. People who have "dipped out" of the MCU in the past couple of years WILL be interested in checking out the new DD series. That's why I feel that it's better if Marvel Studios takes its time with it and not rush the writing, VFX and other things in it. DD's Disney Plus project has the potential to reach a far broader audience than many of these other MCU shows. Maybe it doesn't need to be a home run for Marvel, but it's gotta be at least a triple!

Extraordinary Member

What I like about the MCU is that whenever they had a "disappointing" project, they would come roaring back with something amazing. Iron Man was the best MCU film until the first Avengers film (the films in between were pretty good though), Winter Soldier and Guardians 1 renewed the MCU's momentum after people were disappointed with Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 (which were decent enough films), and Ragnarok was such a major improvement for Marvel after the relative "letdown" of Avengers 2 (I actually really enjoyed that picture). And then 2018 and 2019 were really amazing years for the MCU with Far from Home wrapping things up with a bang. I just feel WandaVision had more of a widespread appeal than the other Marvel Disney Plus stuff. I mean the other shows had great viewership, but I recall Wanda's series absolutely DOMINATING discussions back in early 2021. It was HUGE. And I think NWH was just as tremendous. Easily one of the best MCU movies to date. But to me, that's about it. Other than Shang-Chi (which is actually one of my favorite MCU projects), I think the rest of Phase Four has been a bit messy. I usually don't pay attention to stuff like critical and commercial success for MCU movies and shows, because I've taken for granted that they would all be well-received. But the reviews from critics and audiences were pretty rough for the Eternals and the MoM. Way rougher than I ever had anticipated. So I do feel that maybe Disney is trying to do too much too quickly. I think Ms. Marvel and Thor will be MUCH more likely to succeed because they aren't really burdened by the weight of great expectations. That's where Daredevil could run into some trouble. Because that show WILL have high expectations. People who have "dipped out" of the MCU in the past couple of years WILL be interested in checking out the new DD series. That's why I feel that it's better if Marvel Studios takes its time with it and not rush the writing, VFX and other things in it. DD's Disney Plus project has the potential to reach a far broader audience than many of these other MCU shows. Maybe it doesn't need to be a home run for Marvel, but it's gotta be at least a triple!
    I have to disagree about expectations on Ms. Marvel and the next Thor. From what I've noticed, expectations seem to be going through the roof! As for DD, as I've said, if broadening the audience means changing what made the show appealing to begin with, I think that's a recipe for disaster. That's a sure fire foul ball if I ever heard of one.

I have to disagree about expectations on Ms. Marvel and the next Thor. From what I've noticed, expectations seem to be going through the roof! As for DD, as I've said, if broadening the audience means changing what made the show appealing to begin with, I think that's a recipe for disaster. That's a sure fire foul ball if I ever heard of one.
    I guess it's because I'm not familiar with Ms. Marvel I feel the expectations are low from my perspective. I stopped reading comics 20 years ago, and I don't know a lot of these new characters. I think Thor should be pretty successful because folks know what they're gonna get with Taika and Hemsworth. Ragnarok was such a huge success and I think people will be interested in L&T because of it. Daredevil is a little bit different. Audiences won't know what they're gonna get and DD is a fairly well-known property outside of the Disney MCU. To me, if Disney wants to "darken" the tone of their productions, they can do something really out of the box (in my opinion). If I were Bob Chapek, I would try to get Disney to BUY Netflix in the coming year. Netflix's stock price has PLUMMETED in recent months, so it's RELATIVELY inexpensive at the moment. And Disney would be able to possess a large amount of content and gain access to tons of subscribers as well. More importantly, by owning Netflix, Disney could have a platform to stream more adult material.

Extraordinary Member

I guess it's because I'm not familiar with Ms. Marvel I feel the expectations are low from my perspective. I stopped reading comics 20 years ago, and I don't know a lot of these new characters. I think Thor should be pretty successful because folks know what they're gonna get with Taika and Hemsworth. Ragnarok was such a huge success and I think people will be interested in L&T because of it. Daredevil is a little bit different. Audiences won't know what they're gonna get and DD is a fairly well-known property outside of the Disney MCU. To me, if Disney wants to "darken" the tone of their productions, they can do something really out of the box (in my opinion). If I were Bob Chapek, I would try to get Disney to BUY Netflix in the coming year. Netflix's stock price has PLUMMETED in recent months, so it's RELATIVELY inexpensive at the moment. And Disney would be able to possess a large amount of content and gain access to tons of subscribers as well. More importantly, by owning Netflix, Disney could have a platform to stream more adult material.
    I guess I'm just not understanding why D+ can't do that on their own now, especially with the age restrictions they just put up. From what I noticed, there was the tiniest little bit of uproars in the beginning from the usual "won't someone please think of the children!" crowd, but after that, everyone seems to be cool with the Netflix stuff being on there.

I guess I'm just not understanding why D+ can't do that on their own now, especially with the age restrictions they just put up. From what I noticed, there was the tiniest little bit of uproars in the beginning from the usual "won't someone please think of the children!" crowd, but after that, everyone seems to be cool with the Netflix stuff being on there.
    I think people have "adjusted" to Netflix Marvel material being on Disney Plus now. They have the parental controls, so I don't feel it's a big issue anymore. The reason why I think Disney should buy Netflix is twofold. Maybe people can't afford to subscribe to Netflix and Disney Plus at the same time. So a lot of potential MCU fans on Netflix are shut out of watching the Disney Plus Marvel stuff. So combining them would immediately increase people watching the MCU content on Disney Plus. Secondly, it would allow Disney to send the more "adult" characters from Marvel Comics to a platform where they can thrive. Not sure if Feige would ever permit any Marvel IPs to exist outside of the MCU, but the option could remain open. Buying Netflix would increase Disney's subscriber base substantially and allow more people to watch the Daredevil series. Maybe make it a little bit more mature. Because as it stands, I think Disney will dilute some of the more mature material in the new DD show (in my opinion). Because if DD becomes part of the MCU MOVIES again after his series concludes on Disney Plus, MCU FILMGOERS who haven't watched it might get confused about his character when they see him on the big screen. I feel the hand-off between WandaVision and the MoM was sort of "fumbled", and I think the television to movie transitions could be improved a bit. It's fair to cut Marvel Studios some slack now because it was the first time they did it, but they've gotta make sure it's better executed in the future.

I think people have "adjusted" to Netflix Marvel material being on Disney Plus now. They have the parental controls, so I don't feel it's a big issue anymore. The reason why I think Disney should buy Netflix is twofold. Maybe people can't afford to subscribe to Netflix and Disney Plus at the same time. So a lot of potential MCU fans on Netflix are shut out of watching the Disney Plus Marvel stuff. So combining them would immediately increase people watching the MCU content on Disney Plus. Secondly, it would allow Disney to send the more "adult" characters from Marvel Comics to a platform where they can thrive. Not sure if Feige would ever permit any Marvel IPs to exist outside of the MCU, but the option could remain open. Buying Netflix would increase Disney's subscriber base substantially and allow more people to watch the Daredevil series. Maybe make it a little bit more mature. Because as it stands, I think Disney will dilute some of the more mature material in the new DD show (in my opinion). Because if DD becomes part of the MCU MOVIES again after his series concludes on Disney Plus, MCU FILMGOERS who haven't watched it might get confused about his character when they see him on the big screen. I feel the hand-off between WandaVision and the MoM was sort of "fumbled", and I think the television to movie transitions could be improved a bit. It's fair to cut Marvel Studios some slack now because it was the first time they did it, but they've gotta make sure it's better executed in the future.
    Disney doesnt have that cash to take on more debt. It took on a lot of debt with the Fox purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Disney doesnt have that cash to take on more debt. It took on a lot of debt with the Fox purchase.
    Wow! I didn't know that. It's too bad. I think Disney would benefit immensely by buying Netflix "cheap." Thanks for the info!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Lmao zero way Disney can afford Netflix

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Lmao zero way Disney can afford Netflix
    Even with Netflix saying they're losing tons of money with password sharing, I doubt it, too.