Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious what they're going to do with Kamala because she also traditionally has a secret identity.

I guess they could always pull from Bendis where Matt eventually got outed (Bendis also seems to have a thing against secret identities).

The Mark Waid run to Netflix's Frank Miller .
    I have a thing against secret identities because they operate under the assumption that people are stupid. If folks who know Murdock in his private life can't recognize him when he adopts his Daredevil persona, then they're just as blind as he is. I mean, it's such a played out concept. The bad guys are ALWAYS gonna find out the heroes' secret identities ANYWAYS. ALWAYS. And writers are wasting precious time focusing on that nonsense. The tension over this issue is INCREDIBLY contrived to me. I'm baffled as to why fans think we need Scarlet Pimpernels in the 21st century. It literally makes no sense at all. Plus villains know that if they go after heroes' families, THEIR families are fair game. So the mutual assured destruction thing should remove the need for secret identities to protect their loved ones.

I can't wait to not watch it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I can't wait to not watch it.
    That sounds fun. Enjoy.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I have a thing against secret identities because they operate under the assumption that people are stupid. If folks who know Murdock in his private life can't recognize him when he adopts his Daredevil persona, then they're just as blind as he is. I mean, it's such a played out concept. The bad guys are ALWAYS gonna find out the heroes' secret identities ANYWAYS. ALWAYS. And writers are wasting precious time focusing on that nonsense. The tension over this issue is INCREDIBLY contrived to me. I'm baffled as to why fans think we need Scarlet Pimpernels in the 21st century. It literally makes no sense at all. Plus villains know that if they go after heroes' families, THEIR families are fair game. So the mutual assured destruction thing should remove the need for secret identities to protect their loved ones.
    And if you'd watched Daredevil, you'd know that we've already been there, done that. The mutually assured destruction was in fact the endgame of Season 3.

The blip might have messed with that though, by removing players from the table, and I'd be fine if they played with the fallout from that.

Most of Matt's friends and family either know that he's Daredevil after three seasons, or strongly suspect it in the don't-need-to-know-give-me-plausible-deniability sense. His Big Bad knows it too. And the fallout from that reveal has been at least partially dealt with. He doesn't really need a secret identity to hide himself from friends, heroes or villains. But he's a criminal defence attorney by day. That leads to a conflict of interest, which is one of the things that the series has dealt with. He could get disbarred. Foggy could get disbarred. Every case they've ever taken to court could get reviewed and overturned on appeal. So in order to carry on with the day job, he does pretty much need to keep his two identities separate enough that the New York State Bar doesn't get interested.

I'm curious how they'll differentiate it from the Netflix version now that they're more firmly in the MCU.
    It will suck. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    It will suck. The end.
    I disagree and I know how hard it is for others to accept that sometimes...but you are probably wrong.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I'm curious how they'll differentiate it from the Netflix version now that they're more firmly in the MCU.
    The best way would be not to. Just make it "Daredevil Season 4" and continue from where it was left. Why mess with perfection?

They call that the Grandfather Clause Daredevil can have a secret identity and all the related problems, because it is an iconic aspect of the character and it wouldn't be the same character if this was taken from him. Same with Batman and Spider-Man, who also rely heavily on the concept for their adventures, regardless of the years that have passed. As you rejected to follow the Netflix series and only saw the 2003 film to mock it because of your discomfort with the concept, you should simply avoid a work that is clearly not meant for you. It's like I reacted to a a new Star Trek series saying "I hope they get rid of so many aliens and space exploration".

That's true. But from what I've read, Feige REALLY doesn't like the secret identity trope and has limited it in the MCU. I wouldn't be surprised Kevin ditches it for the MCU Daredevil to give a fresh take on the character. I wonder how DD fans would react if that happened though. Depends on how well it's executed.
    The scene of "No Way Home" clearly shows otherwise. He's Matt Murdock, and he has his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    The scene of "No Way Home" clearly shows otherwise. He's Matt Murdock, and he has his powers.
    He's just a very good lawyer .
    I mean, not everybody wants to be a hero 24/7 or be known as one 24/7. Some of them have lives outside being Superheroes and like to keep that separate.

Usually you don't expect the heroes to go for the jugular, which is why they're heroes. Then again, we're talking about the MCU here...

Extraordinary Member

I'm curious what they're going to do with Kamala because she also traditionally has a secret identity.

I guess they could always pull from Bendis where Matt eventually got outed (Bendis also seems to have a thing against secret identities).
    I hated that era with DD...and then the hoops they had to jump thru to undo it. Not as bad as a deal with Mephisto...but brainwashing the entire world to forget it was not all the great either.

I mean, not everybody wants to be a hero 24/7 or be known as one 24/7. Some of them have lives outside being Superheroes and like to keep that separate.

Usually you don't expect the heroes to go for the jugular, which is why they're heroes. Then again, we're talking about the MCU here...
    And this is what it comes down to...the hero being able to go to dinner without getting mobbed by fans or accosted by not-fans.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    It will suck. The end.
    Now don't sugar coat it....tell us how you really feel.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 05-20-2022 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    And if you'd watched Daredevil, you'd know that we've already been there, done that. The mutually assured destruction was in fact the endgame of Season 3.

The blip might have messed with that though, by removing players from the table, and I'd be fine if they played with the fallout from that.

Most of Matt's friends and family either know that he's Daredevil after three seasons, or strongly suspect it in the don't-need-to-know-give-me-plausible-deniability sense. His Big Bad knows it too. And the fallout from that reveal has been at least partially dealt with. He doesn't really need a secret identity to hide himself from friends, heroes or villains. But he's a criminal defence attorney by day. That leads to a conflict of interest, which is one of the things that the series has dealt with. He could get disbarred. Foggy could get disbarred. Every case they've ever taken to court could get reviewed and overturned on appeal. So in order to carry on with the day job, he does pretty much need to keep his two identities separate enough that the New York State Bar doesn't get interested.
    Oh they went into that? LOL! That' so funny. All I'm saying is that the MCU shouldn't rehab old stories that have been done before. She-Hulk doesn't need a secret identity. So I don't Matt should either. But I get your point about the conflict of interest stuff. We'll see how Feige handles things.

The best way would be not to. Just make it "Daredevil Season 4" and continue from where it was left. Why mess with perfection?

They call that the Grandfather Clause Daredevil can have a secret identity and all the related problems, because it is an iconic aspect of the character and it wouldn't be the same character if this was taken from him. Same with Batman and Spider-Man, who also rely heavily on the concept for their adventures, regardless of the years that have passed. As you rejected to follow the Netflix series and only saw the 2003 film to mock it because of your discomfort with the concept, you should simply avoid a work that is clearly not meant for you. It's like I reacted to a a new Star Trek series saying "I hope they get rid of so many aliens and space exploration".

I don't usually watch R-rated stuff, so that's why I avoided Daredevil. I was fan of his back in the day. I was actually introduced to him not through the comics, but via a novel called Predator's Smile which was written by Christopher Golden. He was the first "hard-boiled" Marvel character I ever encountered and I really liked him. Look, I liked Daredevil (2003) WAY more than Ben "I hate Daredevil so much" Affleck. I just thought it was ridiculous having him do kung fu/karate **** on a playground in front of a buncha kids WITHOUT his Daredevil costume on. He was doing a lousy job of maintaining his secret identity there, so why bother with the pretence of secrecy? Besides I'm pretty sure DD was a murderer in that movie, which is something I didn't like when I watched it (or parts of it). I wouldn't mind a quippier Disney version of Murdock though. I think Feige HAS to make HIS Daredevil different from the Netflix one. And one suitable for audiences that are family-friendly.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 05-20-2022 at 06:20 PM.

Yeah, but the 2003 Daredevil movie and the Netflix series already did that stuff. I feel it's better if Disney does something different and new with the character.

And by "new", you mean turning him into a Spider-Man clone and following the exact same formula they use with all their films and series?

And by "new", you mean turning him into a Spider-Man clone and following the exact same formula they use with all their films and series?
    That's the problem with rebooting characters and franchises. You can only show Krypton being destroyed so many times. You can only show Thomas and Martha Wayne getting capped so many times. Those origin stories have already been told. Matt's origin story has already been told twice. So I would skip it just like Parker's was in Captain America 3. Make Murdock funnier and happier. Get younger MCU fans interested in the American justice system in a way that children can understand. Demonstrate ways that the general public can help people afflicted by visual impairment issues. All that good stuff. Daredevil should be interacting with other MCU heroes without having to hide who he is.

I hope it keeps it's quality, I'm going to miss the extremely bloody battles though. That was Netflix DD's bread and butter.
    Last edited by 9th.; 05-20-2022 at 10:28 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8