Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Albert, do you actually like DD at all?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I think that's too much for the MCU to get into. Also reinforces my point about secret identities. "Bad guys" who have secret identities do not necessarily have their families protected by them. They engage in dangerous activities, so it's a given that the people they love will suffer if they are harmed.

Yes, I have a problem with DD hanging out in the "periphery" of the superhero community. I honestly don't understand why Batman, Spider-Man and Daredevil fans are so keen on distancing themselves from the rest of their universes. Interacting with people from outside of New York and Gotham makes them more interesting to me. I also think the MCU might tone down the "legal" aspect of Matt's character because She-Hulk is gonna be so involved in it. It's possible Disney might connect DD more with the mystical ninja stuff which is now pretty closely associated with Shang-Chi. That would be fun. And since Kingpin was so strong in Hawkeye, I think it might be necessary to provide Murdock with some Super Soldier Serum to make HIM stronger as well.
    So you basically want to change Daredevil into a totaly different character?

I like Daredevil, but judging from the overwhelmingly negative responses I get to my posts here, I probably don't "get" him. I just think that DD is a versatile character. He can blend into different corners of the Marvel Universe. So it would be fun for him to do that. And I was partially joking when I mentioned the Super Soldier Serum stuff (try saying that three times in a row)!

If DD's show goes heavy into the law aspect, it might be too similar to She-Hulk. That's why I'm not sure if the MCU is gonna go the "Law & Order" route with Matt. If DD's future goes heavy into the Ninja/Hand Aspect, you could tie him into Shang-Chi's stories. That would be really interesting to me. Shang-Chi is my favorite Phase Four movie and one of my all-time favorite MCU movies as a whole. I'm not convinced Marvel Studios is willing to do the "urban crime" thing in the MCU. I don't think the Tracksuit Mafia was a serious threat in the Hawkeye series. And Disney would NEVER allow DD to hang out with pimps, hustlers and junkies. And as well they shouldn't. So what kind of stories could they tell with Murdock if that problematic content is taken out? I say do some team-ups with other characters fighting evil tech-based opponents as well as some evil ninjas every now and then. To have Daredevil be confined to Hell's Kitchen for most of his tenure in the MCU would be so boring to me.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, I have a problem with DD hanging out in the "periphery" of the superhero community. I honestly don't understand why Batman, Spider-Man and Daredevil fans are so keen on distancing themselves from the rest of their universes.
    See, this is what I've always loved about him. Let Cap deal with terrorists, Iron Man with tech criminals, Strange with evil magic users, etc. DD's carved out a nice little niche for himself in the MU and that's where he's always excelled.

I also think the MCU might tone down the "legal" aspect of Matt's character because She-Hulk is gonna be so involved in it.
    I mean, as far as the comics are concerned, they both approach it in entirely different ways. She-Hulk looks like it's going for more of an Ally MacBeal sort of vibe (single woman living in the big city) while DD has always seemed more like The Practice (ultra-serious dealing with cases with life altering results).

It's possible Disney might connect DD more with the mystical ninja stuff which is now pretty closely associated with Shang-Chi. That would be fun.
    I wouldn't want too much crossover with the MCU's version of Shang-Chi. Too light for my tastes. The Hand should be more mysterious and dangerous than the Ten Rings were portrayed (although I really did enjoy that movie)

And since Kingpin was so strong in Hawkeye, I think it might be necessary to provide Murdock with some Super Soldier Serum to make HIM stronger as well.
    I don't think that's necessary, quite frankly (or welcome, for that matter). If Hawkeye and Black Widow can fight the Chiutari and Thano's army, DD can take on Kingpin without any chemical assistance.

I'm not convinced Marvel Studios is willing to do the "urban crime" thing in the MCU. I don't think the Tracksuit Mafia was a serious threat in the Hawkeye series.
    I mean, the thing is, that show was based on a very specific run of Hawkeye. They weren't supposed to be terribly "serious." It's the same way the DD show was based on a few very specific runs. Both had vastly different tones, so I don't think you can really lump the two in like that.

And Disney would NEVER allow DD to hang out with pimps, hustlers and junkies. And as well they shouldn't.
    I mean, Moon Knight had to create a whole new personality to deal with the abuse his mother inflicted on him. Black Widow dealt with child trafficking fer crying out loud. I think the MCU is getting darker with every new release.

I say do some team-ups with other characters fighting evil tech-based opponents as well as some evil ninjas every now and then. To have Daredevil be confined to Hell's Kitchen for most of his tenure in the MCU would be so boring to me.
    Then, yeah. I'm pretty sure you want a whole 'nother character that's not DD then because with the exception of Stilt-Man, that's certainly not him.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 06-04-2022 at 02:36 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    See, this is what I've always loved about him. Let Cap deal with terrorists, Iron Man with tech criminals, Strange with evil magic users, etc. DD's carved out a nice little niche for himself in the MU and that's where he's always excelled.

I mean, as far as the comics are concerned, they both approach it in entirely different ways. She-Hulk looks like it's going for more of an Ally MacBeal sort of vibe (single woman living in the big city) while DD has always seemed more like The Practice (ultra-serious dealing with cases with life altering results).

I wouldn't want too much crossover with the MCU's version of Shang-Chi. Too light for my tastes. The Hand should be more mysterious and dangerous than the Ten Rings were portrayed (although I really did enjoy that movie)

I don't think that's necessary, quite frankly (or welcome, for that matter). If Hawkeye and Black Widow can fight the Chiutari and Thano's army, DD can take on Kingpin without any chemical assistance.

I mean, the thing is, that show was based on a very specific run of Hawkeye. They weren't supposed to be terribly "serious." It's the same way the DD show was based on a few very specific runs. Both had vastly different tones, so I don't think you can really lump the two in like that.

I mean, they Moon Knight had to create a whole new personality to deal with the abuse his mother inflicted on him. Black Widow dealt with child trafficking fer crying out loud. I think the MCU is getting darker with every new release.

Then, yeah. I'm pretty sure you want a whole 'nother character that's not DD then because with the exception of Stilt-Man, that's certainly not him.
    The MCU is indeed getting darker with each new release. And more violent too. I personally REALLY don't approve of that. There's no need for it in my view. I think it's okay for DD to fight "common criminals" as well as mystical ninjas. I think a lot of his stories involve both. I also loved Shang-Chi. Moon Knight and Black Widow did indeed deal with "serious subject matter", but at the end of each of them they just became huge CGI-fests like EVERY single MCU production. It's quite likely DD will fight Kingpin one-on-one eventually. And I think Fisk (judging from his appearance in Hawkeye) is WAY too strong for Matt to take him on alone (without tech or "enhancements"). One thing I wouldn't mind is if Law & Order: SVU Detective John Munch appears in Daredevil's show. Now THAT is a cameo I would love to see.

Extraordinary Member

The MCU is indeed getting darker with each new release. And more violent too. I personally REALLY don't approve of that. There's no need for it in my view. I think it's okay for DD to fight "common criminals" as well as mystical ninjas. I think a lot of his stories involve both. I also loved Shang-Chi. Moon Knight and Black Widow did indeed deal with "serious subject matter", but at the end of each of them they just became huge CGI-fests like EVERY single MCU production. It's quite likely DD will fight Kingpin one-on-one eventually. And I think Fisk (judging from his appearance in Hawkeye) is WAY too strong for Matt to take him on alone (without tech or "enhancements"). One thing I wouldn't mind is if Law & Order: SVU Detective John Munch appears in Daredevil's show. Now THAT is a cameo I would love to see.
    Like I said, I think if BW and Hawkeye can take on Chiutari and Thanos' army, I think DD should be fine against Fisk. And it's not like the MCU are ever really consistent with their power levels, anyway.

In re to the MCU getting darker, while I wouldn't want to see every series/movie go down that route, a bit of variety wouldn't hurt. And you really can't paint every character with the same brush. That was the DCEU's initial mistake approaching Supes the same way they would Batman. Certain tones just work better with certain characters.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 06-04-2022 at 01:35 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

And I think Fisk (judging from his appearance in Hawkeye) is WAY too strong for Matt to take him on alone (without tech or "enhancements").
    See I disagree. DD will take Fisk down as we have seen in the Netflix series and comics.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Like I said, I think if BW and Hawkeye can take on Chiutari and Thanos' army, I think DD should be fine against Fisk. And it's not like the MCU are ever really consistent with their power levels, anyway.

In re to the MCU getting darker, while I wouldn't want to see every series/movie go down that route, a bit of variety wouldn't hurt. And you really can't paint every character with the same brush. That was the DCEU's initial mistake approaching Supes the same way they would Batman. Certain tones just work better with certain characters.
    Yeah, you're probably right. Power levels change more often in the MCU than I change my underwear. So maybe Kingpin will be weaker again.

Yes, the DCEU made HUGE mistakes with their portrayals of Superman and Batman. But in their defense, they probably felt that they HAD to mix things up because previous versions of Superman had been portrayed a certain way (very successfully I might add), and they didn't wanna go over the same territory again. They just took it too far.

I enjoy Daredevil, but I HATE the seedy world he inhabits. That's kind of why I never got too familiar with the character. I read superhero comics because I wanted fun escapism, and DD was so tied up in the hidden unpleasant and criminal parts of society. I was recently re-watched a classic film called the Pawnbroker. It had nudity (which I usually do NOT approve of), but it definitely exposed me to the harsh reality of living in an inner city with very LITTLE hope. I have always loved the Pawnbroker, but if you look at this clip, you can tell how dark and bleak life was for the people living in communities like Harlem back in 1965:

THIS is Daredevil's world in the comic books. Pimps, prostitutes, and drug addicts are the folks he deals with. It CAN'T be that way in Feige's MCU. It CAN'T!!!

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    See I disagree. DD will take Fisk down as we have seen in the Netflix series and comics.
    It'll probably involve a lot of CGI. LOL!

Well, Daredevil started in the 1960s as a poor man's Spider-Man, but became the character we all know and love nowadays thanks to Frank Miller. Be sure to check his later masterpiece Sin City, your head would explode. Or better yet, check the film, directed by Miller himself.

Wouldn't you love it if the new Daredevil series was made by the same guys who did that film?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Well, Daredevil started in the 1960s as a poor man's Spider-Man, but became the character we all know and love nowadays thanks to Frank Miller. Be sure to check his later masterpiece Sin City, your head would explode. Or better yet, check the film, directed by Miller himself.

Wouldn't you love it if the new Daredevil series was made by the same guys who did that film?
    Interesting and fun looking. But doesn't really tonally match the MCU's bright colors. I mean, why does Daredevil almost always have to hang out in situations where it is dark and raining? He doesn't ALWAYS have to do his superheroing at night. I don't think MCU audiences are ready for a "noirish" property like Sin City. That's too much like Batman. And as I recall, the first Daredevil movie also had a LOT of darkness and rain in it too. I find it amusing that characters like Batman and Daredevil only care about their "cities" as opposed to more global matters which might also require their assistance.

Interesting and fun looking. But doesn't really tonally match the MCU's bright colors. I mean, why does Daredevil almost always have to hang out in situations where it is dark and raining? He doesn't ALWAYS have to do his superheroing at night. I don't think MCU audiences are ready for a "noirish" property like Sin City. That's too much like Batman. And as I recall, the first Daredevil movie also had a LOT of darkness and rain in it too. I find it amusing that characters like Batman and Daredevil only care about their "cities" as opposed to more global matters which might also require their assistance.
    Well I am not going to speak of Batman here but he goes far past Gotham to fight crime or super villain's.

As for DD, he fights in Hell's Kitchen. Back in the 1970's & 1980's it was not the nicest place. Frank Miller gave him stories like you could not believe in Hell's Kitchen and all around NY. DD has gone past NY before and fought super powered villain's. There is plenty out there to read from him he has been around for awhile now. If you are looking for more of a team, happy go lucky, colorful book then I would stick with The Avengers or Fantastic Four. That is why those books exist and that's why DD is who he is and fights who he fights.

Now with the MCU, as you can tell if you saw Spiderman NWH...Marvel has BIG plans for Daredevil. Will they be like what we saw on Netflix? I actually do not believe so. They need to take a fresh approach to him. WE have already seen DD fight Fisk, we have seen DD fight The Punisher, we have seen DD fight The Hand. Now it is on to bigger and better things. I still want all the Hell's Kitchen I can get but at a different view. DD will be in MCU big picture. Heck I hope the Punisher is as well (not sure how they will do that).

Not everything in the MCU needs to be Captain Americas butt or Iron Man making smart jokes. Not everything has to be bright colors and family friendly. There is a time and place for that. We got that for more than 10+ years.

If your looking for Daredevil to be fighting Galactus or Doctor Doom then DD is probably not for you. Same with The Punisher or everyone else from the street of NY or the Marvel Universe.

Just think...if the MCU or Marvel was all happy and rainbows and colors and big bad powerful bad guys, people would have stopped buying the books and people wouold have stopped watching the moves long ago.

Change and different views are a good thing.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Sin City is amazing as is Frank Miller. This is a must see.

I definitely agree with you that diversity and variety are great things and I hope the MCU continues to evolve over time. And I don't think DD needs to fight Doctor Doom or Galactus. That would be weird. I just think Feige's MCU has avoided Marvel's "street-level" stuff for so long, they actually don't really know how to handle it. I feel they excel mostly in tech-based and cosmic stories.

I definitely agree with you that diversity and variety are great things and I hope the MCU continues to evolve over time. And I don't think DD needs to fight Doctor Doom or Galactus. That would be weird. I just think Feige's MCU has avoided Marvel's "street-level" stuff for so long, they actually don't really know how to handle it. I feel they excel mostly in tech-based and cosmic stories.
    Well I believe the MCU stayed away from all the street stuff because Marvel TV back then was doing it on Netflix. Now that DD (not sure about Cage, Jones, Punisher or Fist) is MCU canon Feige has access to it all.

I would love to see the MCU have some invasion or world take over and see guys like Daredevil and Punisher taking the streets and back alleys to fight. I actually believe that may happen if done right.