This reminds me of some article I read years ago where Geoff Johns was talking about making Kite-Man some kind of psycho who was making kites out of human skin. Certainly makes me glad Johns never got a regular Batman gig...say what you will about Tom King's run, but his handling of Kite-Man, making him a bit more fleshed out while leaning into the goofiness of the character, was some genuinely good writing and a high point for the run (plus, revitalized the guy's presence, to where he's getting his own cartoon now).

That's one of my issues with the recent Batman film...I always viewed Riddler as dangerous and capable of violence, but at his core he was a campy character obsessed with being smarter than Batman. By making him yet another serial killer in the movie, it robs him of what made him unique (beyond the basic element of leaving clues) and turns him into just another psychotic in Batman's rogues gallery. I sincerely hope that the Batman comics we see coming out in six or seven months don't suddenly lean into the Riddler of the film, either in demeanor or design.