Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Yup. It's what makes HISTORIA awesome and is what made Rucka's first run truly revolutionary.
    Instead of Rucka I think you mean Azzarello.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post

If you want to see how the gods can elevate a story, just compare Gods and Mortals to Year One. G&M was a sweeping fantasy epic while Year One felt small, shallow, and devoid of stakes. Can't deny that gorgeous Nicola Scott art, though.
    Wouldn't a bettet comparisson be how Eric Luke used Dr Poison and Devastation. Or how Steve Orlando and Phil Jimenez used the other villains.

I enjoy that we have this depiction of the gods and the version in Historia. Different takes for different stories.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. Afterworlds is still easily the highlight of the Cloonrad era and nearly all of WW's best stories have involved the gods in some capacity (Gods and Mortals, Challenge of the Gods, The Witch on the Island, Hiketeia, Down to Earth, Eyes of the Gorgon, Godwatch, and of course Historia). Meanwhile the only particularly memorable stories about the Villainy Inc. baddies are Perez and Rucka's Cheetah origins and stories about the Amazons are a HUGE mixed bag - you get your The Circles but you also get your Amazons Attacks.

If you want to see how the gods can elevate a story, just compare Gods and Mortals to Year One. G&M was a sweeping fantasy epic while Year One felt small, shallow, and devoid of stakes. Can't deny that gorgeous Nicola Scott art, though.

In context I thought it definitely read more as a general "we" than a Zeus and Hippolyta "we." Especially considering Zeus' parentage wasn't addressed anywhere else.

I loved the general take on the gods in Rucka's first run (especially Athena and Ares), but his Hera was a very standard jealous shrew. She literally destroyed Themyscira because Zeus was ogling Artemis.
    She started out that way but look at end of that phase of the arc. Zeus learns the error of his ways, acknowledges Athena victory and right to the throne, and Hera aided Athena in the lead up.

We will never see it but Rucka set up Hera and Zeus for evolution and in the process examinations of Love, Relationships, Marriage, and other dynamics. Instead of simply repeating the same thing and being derivative he was allowing the WW Book to be living breathing continuation and EVOLUTION of the Myths.

The scuttling of that run was criminal. With consistent artistic support we were poised to a WW run that would join Simonson's THOR as the most epic mythological exploration in a (mainstream) comic. The stuff with Athena and the prophecy of Zeus offspring was ESPECIALLY brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Instead of Rucka I think you mean Azzarello.
    I ***abso-effing-lutely*** do NOT mean frickin' Azzarello. That run was elevated by excellent artistic support from Chang; that was the ONLY remotely possible
    saving grace. It was derivative AF. It literally just followed the old Wizardworld recommendation for a revamp and mixed it with elements of Soul Calibur and the God of War franchise, most notably Kratos.

There was not an ounce of innovation or original thought in that run. It was generic af and repeats a number of beats from (crappy) fanfiction. It was an anti-WW fan's dream come true. The only thing missing was an actual adult themed manifestation of the barely veiled threats contained in the "story".

I absolutely do NOT mean Azzarello. Let there not be an ounce of confusion about that.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 08-28-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Wouldn't a bettet comparisson be how Eric Luke used Dr Poison and Devastation. Or how Steve Orlando and Phil Jimenez used the other villains.
    Erik Luke's run is criminally underrated and contributed quite a bit to the landscape of Divinities

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    She started out that way but look at end of that phase of the arc. Zeus learns the error of his ways, acknowledges Athena victory and right to the throne, and Hera aided Athena in the lead up.

We will never see it but Rucka set up Hera and Zeus for evolution and in the process examinations of Love, Relationships, Marriage, and other dynamics. Instead of simply repeating the same thing and being derivative he was allowing the WW Book to be living breathing continuation and EVOLUTION of the Myths.

The scuttling of that run was criminal. With consistent artistic support we were poised to a WW run that would join Simonson's THOR as the most epic mythological exploration in a (mainstream) comic. The stuff with Athena and the prophecy of Zeus offspring was ESPECIALLY brilliant
    Fair enough, yeah I haven't reread his first run in its entirety in a minute so all I remembered was that Hera ultimately joined Athena in her move to take the throne and Zeus ultimately forfeited because Diana beat the Hecatoncheires. It really is a huge shame that all of the Max Lord nonsense interrupted Rucka's run and all of his work with the gods to get wiped out with n52, he set up so much interesting stuff with Olympus that could have provided such fertile ground for subsequent writers.

I'm also baffled that no one has even picked up his modernization of the gods, it was a really cool concept.